From: Boris on
Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in

> On 3/16/2010 10:45 PM, Boris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a Presicion 390 that I got used. I installed a new hard
>> drive and a new install of XPSP3. The 390 came with a Sony CD-RW
>> CRX217E and a Philips DVD+-DVD8801. Both show working properly in
>> Device Manager.
>>
>> Also, If I enable CD recording in one of these drives, CD recording
>> is disabled in the other. I can't keep CD recording enabled in both
>> at the same time.
>>
>> Another problem exists with the DVD. Whenever I put a CD or DVD into
>> the DVD, all it does is spit it back out.
>>
>> I have uninstalled the devices, and when I restart the machine,
>> Windows finds and installs a set of four identical drivers for each,
>> digitally signed by Microsoft. The drives are both the same, and
>> Device Manager shows they are both running under UDMA2.
>>
>> Any ideas as to why:
>>
>> 1) the DVD keeps spitting out anything I put in it, blank or
>> recorded? 2) I can only get one at time to keep the 'enable CD
>> recording', and not both at the same time?
>>
>> Thanks much.
>
> Are you using Microsoft's built-in CD/DVD burning? Try CDBurnerXP
> (free, and free is good, but you can make a donation) for trouble-free
> burning with any brand of optical device... Ben Myers

Hi, Ben,

I have no problem burning with the CD-RW with the Windows built-in
burning. I also use CDBurnerXP and ImgBurn. Burning is not the problem.
It's 1) and 2) above.
From: Boris on
Boris <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in

> Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in
>
>> On 3/16/2010 10:45 PM, Boris wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got a Presicion 390 that I got used. I installed a new hard
>>> drive and a new install of XPSP3. The 390 came with a Sony CD-RW
>>> CRX217E and a Philips DVD+-DVD8801. Both show working properly in
>>> Device Manager.
>>>
>>> Also, If I enable CD recording in one of these drives, CD recording
>>> is disabled in the other. I can't keep CD recording enabled in both
>>> at the same time.
>>>
>>> Another problem exists with the DVD. Whenever I put a CD or DVD
>>> into the DVD, all it does is spit it back out.
>>>
>>> I have uninstalled the devices, and when I restart the machine,
>>> Windows finds and installs a set of four identical drivers for each,
>>> digitally signed by Microsoft. The drives are both the same, and
>>> Device Manager shows they are both running under UDMA2.
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to why:
>>>
>>> 1) the DVD keeps spitting out anything I put in it, blank or
>>> recorded? 2) I can only get one at time to keep the 'enable CD
>>> recording', and not both at the same time?
>>>
>>> Thanks much.
>>
>> Are you using Microsoft's built-in CD/DVD burning? Try CDBurnerXP
>> (free, and free is good, but you can make a donation) for
>> trouble-free burning with any brand of optical device... Ben Myers
>
> Hi, Ben,
>
> I have no problem burning with the CD-RW with the Windows built-in
> burning. I also use CDBurnerXP and ImgBurn. Burning is not the
> problem. It's 1) and 2) above.

I have no other burning programs on this machine yet (CDBurnerXP and
ImgBurn are on other machines). Are you thinking that installing another
burning program may provide better drivers?