From: Boris on
Hi,

I've got a Presicion 390 that I got used. I installed a new hard drive
and a new install of XPSP3. The 390 came with a Sony CD-RW CRX217E and a
Philips DVD+-DVD8801. Both show working properly in Device Manager.

Also, If I enable CD recording in one of these drives, CD recording is
disabled in the other. I can't keep CD recording enabled in both at the
same time.

Another problem exists with the DVD. Whenever I put a CD or DVD into the
DVD, all it does is spit it back out.

I have uninstalled the devices, and when I restart the machine, Windows
finds and installs a set of four identical drivers for each, digitally
signed by Microsoft. The drives are both the same, and Device Manager
shows they are both running under UDMA2.

Any ideas as to why:

1) the DVD keeps spitting out anything I put in it, blank or recorded?
2) I can only get one at time to keep the 'enable CD recording', and not
both at the same time?

Thanks much.
From: Boris on
Boris <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I've got a Presicion 390 that I got used. I installed a new hard
> drive and a new install of XPSP3. The 390 came with a Sony CD-RW
> CRX217E and a Philips DVD+-DVD8801. Both show working properly in
> Device Manager.
>
> Also, If I enable CD recording in one of these drives, CD recording is
> disabled in the other. I can't keep CD recording enabled in both at
> the same time.
>
> Another problem exists with the DVD. Whenever I put a CD or DVD into
> the DVD, all it does is spit it back out.
>
> I have uninstalled the devices, and when I restart the machine,
> Windows finds and installs a set of four identical drivers for each,
> digitally signed by Microsoft. The drives are both the same, and
> Device Manager shows they are both running under UDMA2.
>
> Any ideas as to why:
>
> 1) the DVD keeps spitting out anything I put in it, blank or recorded?
> 2) I can only get one at time to keep the 'enable CD recording', and
> not both at the same time?
>
> Thanks much.

I just discovered that if I load the DVD with a CD (that has data files),
press the DVD button, and then hold the tray shut, it will stay shut, and
Windows explorer will list the files on the CD. But, I have to do that
every time.

Maybe this is a mechanical problem.

The CD record problem still exitst.
From: Ben Myers on
On 3/16/2010 10:45 PM, Boris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a Presicion 390 that I got used. I installed a new hard drive
> and a new install of XPSP3. The 390 came with a Sony CD-RW CRX217E and a
> Philips DVD+-DVD8801. Both show working properly in Device Manager.
>
> Also, If I enable CD recording in one of these drives, CD recording is
> disabled in the other. I can't keep CD recording enabled in both at the
> same time.
>
> Another problem exists with the DVD. Whenever I put a CD or DVD into the
> DVD, all it does is spit it back out.
>
> I have uninstalled the devices, and when I restart the machine, Windows
> finds and installs a set of four identical drivers for each, digitally
> signed by Microsoft. The drives are both the same, and Device Manager
> shows they are both running under UDMA2.
>
> Any ideas as to why:
>
> 1) the DVD keeps spitting out anything I put in it, blank or recorded?
> 2) I can only get one at time to keep the 'enable CD recording', and not
> both at the same time?
>
> Thanks much.

Are you using Microsoft's built-in CD/DVD burning? Try CDBurnerXP
(free, and free is good, but you can make a donation) for trouble-free
burning with any brand of optical device... Ben Myers
From: Bob Villa on
On Mar 16, 11:42 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> On 3/16/2010 10:45 PM, Boris wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I've got a Presicion 390 that I got used.  I installed a new hard drive
> > and a new install of XPSP3.  The 390 came with a Sony CD-RW CRX217E and a
> > Philips DVD+-DVD8801.  Both show working properly in Device Manager.
>
> > Also, If I enable CD recording in one of these drives, CD recording is
> > disabled in the other.  I can't keep CD recording enabled in both at the
> > same time.
>
> > Another problem exists with the DVD.  Whenever I put a CD or DVD into the
> > DVD, all it does is spit it back out.
>
> > I have uninstalled the devices, and when I restart the machine, Windows
> > finds and installs a set of four identical drivers for each, digitally
> > signed by Microsoft.  The drives are both the same, and Device Manager
> > shows they are both running under UDMA2.
>
> > Any ideas as to why:
>
> > 1) the DVD keeps spitting out anything I put in it, blank or recorded?
> > 2) I can only get one at time to keep the 'enable CD recording', and not
> > both at the same time?
>
> > Thanks much.
>
> Are you using Microsoft's built-in CD/DVD burning?  Try CDBurnerXP
> (free, and free is good, but you can make a donation) for trouble-free
> burning with any brand of optical device... Ben Myers

Ben, I thought your burner of choice was ImgBurn?
bob
From: Ben Myers on
On 3/17/2010 6:47 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
> On Mar 16, 11:42 pm, Ben Myers<ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
>> On 3/16/2010 10:45 PM, Boris wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>
>>> I've got a Presicion 390 that I got used. I installed a new hard drive
>>> and a new install of XPSP3. The 390 came with a Sony CD-RW CRX217E and a
>>> Philips DVD+-DVD8801. Both show working properly in Device Manager.
>>
>>> Also, If I enable CD recording in one of these drives, CD recording is
>>> disabled in the other. I can't keep CD recording enabled in both at the
>>> same time.
>>
>>> Another problem exists with the DVD. Whenever I put a CD or DVD into the
>>> DVD, all it does is spit it back out.
>>
>>> I have uninstalled the devices, and when I restart the machine, Windows
>>> finds and installs a set of four identical drivers for each, digitally
>>> signed by Microsoft. The drives are both the same, and Device Manager
>>> shows they are both running under UDMA2.
>>
>>> Any ideas as to why:
>>
>>> 1) the DVD keeps spitting out anything I put in it, blank or recorded?
>>> 2) I can only get one at time to keep the 'enable CD recording', and not
>>> both at the same time?
>>
>>> Thanks much.
>>
>> Are you using Microsoft's built-in CD/DVD burning? Try CDBurnerXP
>> (free, and free is good, but you can make a donation) for trouble-free
>> burning with any brand of optical device... Ben Myers
>
> Ben, I thought your burner of choice was ImgBurn?
> bob

Bob,

Either one works well. I alternate back and forth when burning... Ben Myers