From: Ben Myers on
On 3/16/2010 8:26 PM, WaIIy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dell 8400 - DSL - Linksys hardwired router
>
> Router in the loop, not in the loop, doesn't matter.
>
> My 8400 will work with the newsgroups just fine.
> I can only check one (of 5) e-mail accounts at a time unless I reboot
> the connection.
>
> I can only get to two web pages at a time and then it won't go to a
> third. IE or Firefox, doesn't matter.
>
> I went through all my settings ten times.
>
> I got out my old 4450 and connected to the same router (same slot even)
> and it's fine.
>
> Everyone says they didn't do anything, but I didn't. All was fine last
> night and now this.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
> Wally.

The symptoms sound like some sort of malware got inside the system to
mess up internet access.

Run MalwareBytes? Do a thorough virus scan? Run hijackthis to see what
is hooked into your browsers and what runs when the system starts up...
Ben Myers
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I can only get to two web pages at a time and then it won't go to a
> third. IE or Firefox, doesn't matter.

> I went through all my settings ten times.

If you have a wired Ethernet network card kicking around, drop it in and
hook it up. That will tell you a lot, and it will tell you right away. I'd
do that first. Even if you have to buy one, they are cheap ($10 or less).

May have something to do with MAC address keying? Some ISPs observe and
record the MAC address of the network adapter connected to their equipment.
If it doesn't match, access to resources may be curtailed or eliminated
entirely. Seems unlikely given that the router being in place doesn't
matter...but it could explain why things don't work in that particular
configuration.

Have you checked for any malware, or improperly uninstalled browser plugins?
The hosts (\windows\system32\drivers\etc) file is also worth a look.
Something nasty could foil your attempts to get at the web, but other
services might work.

William

From: RnR on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:54:06 -0400, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>On 3/16/2010 8:26 PM, WaIIy wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Dell 8400 - DSL - Linksys hardwired router
>>
>> Router in the loop, not in the loop, doesn't matter.
>>
>> My 8400 will work with the newsgroups just fine.
>> I can only check one (of 5) e-mail accounts at a time unless I reboot
>> the connection.
>>
>> I can only get to two web pages at a time and then it won't go to a
>> third. IE or Firefox, doesn't matter.
>>
>> I went through all my settings ten times.
>>
>> I got out my old 4450 and connected to the same router (same slot even)
>> and it's fine.
>>
>> Everyone says they didn't do anything, but I didn't. All was fine last
>> night and now this.
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas.
>> Wally.
>
>The symptoms sound like some sort of malware got inside the system to
>mess up internet access.
>
>Run MalwareBytes? Do a thorough virus scan? Run hijackthis to see what
>is hooked into your browsers and what runs when the system starts up...
>Ben Myers

And I was ready to blame it on an MS update that I thought might have
occured over nite. Oh well....
From: Christopher Muto on
WaIIy wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:20:59 -0500, "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:54:06 -0400, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
>> wrote:

>>> The symptoms sound like some sort of malware got inside the system to
>>> mess up internet access.
>>>
>>> Run MalwareBytes? Do a thorough virus scan? Run hijackthis to see what
>>> is hooked into your browsers and what runs when the system starts up...
>>> Ben Myers
>>
>> And I was ready to blame it on an MS update that I thought might have
>> occured over nite. Oh well....
>
> I went back to an Erundt registry backup from a week ago - nope.
>
> System Restore from 5 days ago - nope.
>
> Configured DSL moden and Linksys router - nope
>
> Pulled out my 4550 (with AVG Free on it) and it worked fine.
>
> Put in backup drive (Casper) from a few weeks ago and it worked
> fine until AVG updated and then I could get to two web pages, then
> the browsers froze. Also, out of five e-mail addresses, I could only
> check one, one time and not the others.
> Same as original problem. Agent for news groups not affected.
> Also, could always traceroute back to ISP with no problem.
>
> Oddly, the 4450 updated AVG (last hooked to DSL was two months ago)
> and the 4550 Stayed fine.
>
> I don't know what made me think of AVG, but I'm glad I did.
>
> I took AVG Free out and all is well.
>
> The, I got Microsoft Security Essentials because I heard good things
> about it. The f*&*king thing takes over everything. I took it out.
>

> Then I got Avira (did the popup window stopper trick) and really like
> it. My system is definitely faster than with AVG.
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions.

here is a well written comparison of avast, avira, and avast...
http://dottech.org/freewaresr/14151

From: Christopher Muto on
WaIIy wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:22:38 -0400, Christopher Muto
> <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>> Then I got Avira (did the popup window stopper trick) and really like
>>> it. My system is definitely faster than with AVG.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all the suggestions.
>>>

>> here is a well written comparison of avast, avira, and avast...
>> http://dottech.org/freewaresr/14151
>
> Ps
>
> Which do you prefer, Avira or Avast ?
>
> Avira seems lighter on my system compared to AVG although I like the AVG
> interface much better.
>
> The AVG mail scanner is a bit of a pig. I know Avira doesn't have an
> e-mail scanner, but will catch a malicious file that is opened. I don't
> really care about ane-mail scanner anyway.
>
> Avira scans downloads, which is a feature I really like.

have not used avira but heard good things about it. avira lacks an
email scanner which seems like a big vulnerability to me. but it is
compact and fast and runs on windows 2000 and the others do not. avast
is excellent but has a awful interface. avast allows you to schedual a
scan upon the next boot which allows it to repair things before windows
loads making it able to clean things that other antivirus programs can
not. this is an important feature. avg has the link scanner that is
compatible with ie but it can seriously slow down a less powerful
computer rendering it useless. avg also installs a worthless toolbar
unless you select to install using the custom method where you can
select not to install the toolbar. avg also likes to tack an
advertisement ("scanned by avg") on the end f scanned incoming and
outgoing emails and it is less than obvious how to disable this message,
but it can be disabled. so it is really a toss up. each has its
merits. if you have more than one computer in your home i would suggest
using different antivirus programs on each machine as a way to protect
yourself from an outbreak as the entire antivirus business is a game of
leapfrog and any one of these vendors can have an advantage over the
other at a given point in time.