From: Pat Conover on
"Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> WaIIy wrote:

>>> here is a well written comparison of avast, avira, and avast...
>>> http://dottech.org/freewaresr/14151
>>
>> Ps
>>
>> Which do you prefer, Avira or Avast ?
>>
>> Avira seems lighter on my system compared to AVG although I like the AVG
>> interface much better.
>>
>> The AVG mail scanner is a bit of a pig. I know Avira doesn't have an
>> e-mail scanner, but will catch a malicious file that is opened. I don't
>> really care about ane-mail scanner anyway.
>>
>> Avira scans downloads, which is a feature I really like.
>
> have not used avira but heard good things about it. avira lacks an email
> scanner which seems like a big vulnerability to me. but it is compact and
> fast and runs on windows 2000 and the others do not. avast is excellent
> but has a awful interface. avast allows you to schedual a scan upon the
> next boot which allows it to repair things before windows loads making it
> able to clean things that other antivirus programs can not. this is an
> important feature. avg has the link scanner that is compatible with ie
> but it can seriously slow down a less powerful computer rendering it
> useless. avg also installs a worthless toolbar unless you select to
> install using the custom method where you can select not to install the
> toolbar. avg also likes to tack an advertisement ("scanned by avg") on
> the end f scanned incoming and outgoing emails and it is less than obvious
> how to disable this message, but it can be disabled. so it is really a
> toss up. each has its merits. if you have more than one computer in your
> home i would suggest using different antivirus programs on each machine as
> a way to protect yourself from an outbreak as the entire antivirus
> business is a game of leapfrog and any one of these vendors can have an
> advantage over the other at a given point in time.

Wally and Chris,

Thanks for the posts, looks like Free AVG 9.0 went awol this time around,
been using it for years with only minor problems. But since updating to
version 9 IE and Outlook has become useless, just like in Wally's original
post. I uninstalled it and everything was Okay. Ran CCleaner, and
Downloaded the latest version from AVG reinstalled and back to same
problems. Even tried disabling the link scanner, no luck. So looks like I
will try Avast since it does have an email scanner like Chris reported.
What a shame, since AVG seemed to be a good product for many years. A
friend also called reporting similar problems, and he is running AVG too
based on my advice...

Thanks, Pat

From: Ben Myers on
On 3/19/2010 2:00 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> WaIIy wrote:

>>> here is a well written comparison of avast, avira, and avast...
>>> http://dottech.org/freewaresr/14151
>>
>> Ps
>>
>> Which do you prefer, Avira or Avast ?
>>
>> Avira seems lighter on my system compared to AVG although I like the AVG
>> interface much better.
>>
>> The AVG mail scanner is a bit of a pig. I know Avira doesn't have an
>> e-mail scanner, but will catch a malicious file that is opened. I don't
>> really care about ane-mail scanner anyway.
>>
>> Avira scans downloads, which is a feature I really like.
>
> have not used avira but heard good things about it. avira lacks an email
> scanner which seems like a big vulnerability to me. but it is compact
> and fast and runs on windows 2000 and the others do not. avast is
> excellent but has a awful interface. avast allows you to schedual a scan
> upon the next boot which allows it to repair things before windows loads
> making it able to clean things that other antivirus programs can not.
> this is an important feature. avg has the link scanner that is
> compatible with ie but it can seriously slow down a less powerful
> computer rendering it useless. avg also installs a worthless toolbar
> unless you select to install using the custom method where you can
> select not to install the toolbar. avg also likes to tack an
> advertisement ("scanned by avg") on the end f scanned incoming and
> outgoing emails and it is less than obvious how to disable this message,
> but it can be disabled. so it is really a toss up. each has its merits.
> if you have more than one computer in your home i would suggest using
> different antivirus programs on each machine as a way to protect
> yourself from an outbreak as the entire antivirus business is a game of
> leapfrog and any one of these vendors can have an advantage over the
> other at a given point in time.

Free AVG 9.0 still installs and runs with Windows 2000... Ben Myers
From: Pat Conover on
"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> On 3/19/2010 2:00 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> WaIIy wrote:

>>> Ps
>>>
>>> Which do you prefer, Avira or Avast ?
>>>
>>> Avira seems lighter on my system compared to AVG although I like the AVG
>>> interface much better.
>>>
>>> The AVG mail scanner is a bit of a pig. I know Avira doesn't have an
>>> e-mail scanner, but will catch a malicious file that is opened. I don't
>>> really care about ane-mail scanner anyway.
>>>
>>> Avira scans downloads, which is a feature I really like.
>>
>> have not used avira but heard good things about it. avira lacks an email
>> scanner which seems like a big vulnerability to me. but it is compact
>> and fast and runs on windows 2000 and the others do not. avast is
>> excellent but has a awful interface. avast allows you to schedual a scan
>> upon the next boot which allows it to repair things before windows loads
>> making it able to clean things that other antivirus programs can not.
>> this is an important feature. avg has the link scanner that is
>> compatible with ie but it can seriously slow down a less powerful
>> computer rendering it useless. avg also installs a worthless toolbar
>> unless you select to install using the custom method where you can
>> select not to install the toolbar. avg also likes to tack an
>> advertisement ("scanned by avg") on the end f scanned incoming and
>> outgoing emails and it is less than obvious how to disable this message,
>> but it can be disabled. so it is really a toss up. each has its merits.
>> if you have more than one computer in your home i would suggest using
>> different antivirus programs on each machine as a way to protect
>> yourself from an outbreak as the entire antivirus business is a game of
>> leapfrog and any one of these vendors can have an advantage over the
>> other at a given point in time.
>
> Free AVG 9.0 still installs and runs with Windows 2000... Ben Myers

Just uninstalled Free AVG 9 again, ran CCleaner, and installed Free Avast,
so far so good!

Pat Conover

From: Pat Conover on
"WaIIy" <WaIIy@(nft).invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:44:41 -0400, "Pat Conover" <public(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Wally and Chris,
>>
>>Thanks for the posts, looks like Free AVG 9.0 went awol this time around,
>>been using it for years with only minor problems. But since updating to
>>version 9 IE and Outlook has become useless, just like in Wally's original
>>post. I uninstalled it and everything was Okay. Ran CCleaner, and
>>Downloaded the latest version from AVG reinstalled and back to same
>>problems. Even tried disabling the link scanner, no luck. So looks like
>>will try Avast since it does have an email scanner like Chris reported.
>>What a shame, since AVG seemed to be a good product for many years. A
>>friend also called reporting similar problems, and he is running AVG too
>>based on my advice...
>>
>>Thanks, Pat
>
> All this input is interesting. I have no idea what the heck was with
> AVG, but it took me a day and much hair pulling to figure it out.
>
> I never would have expected it to foul up my connection in such an odd
> way.
>
> I have an 8400 3.0 and my boot into WinXP is definitely faster without
> AVG and my files open faster, too. Could be my imagination, but I don't
> think so.
>
> Right now Avira in Processes
>
> avgnt.exe 4,492 k
>
> avguard.exe 14,932 k
>
> It's a pretty light load on my system.
>
> My brother runs AVG full and has had no problems and my 4550 was fine.
>
> Go figure.

Wally, Don't know either, but I did a Google search and there are other
threads on the AVG forums about the v 9.xx being the culprit with limited or
no internet activity allowed. I was getting to do a new install on a new
HD, when I read your post...

I went with Free Avast for the email scanner and so far so good. Chris was
right about the interface, it is clunky to say the least.

From: Brian K on
Pat,

You can improve (I think) the interface by Settings, Common, remove the tick
from Enable skins for Simple User Interface.