From: Jeff Strickland on

"Jerome Robertson" <consimgamer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Jerome Robertson" <consimgamer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three
>>> computers so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or no
>>> target found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I get:
>>> Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
>>>
>>> And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
>>>
>>> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand new
>>> CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has something
>>> on it, and it runs just fine.
>>
>> The CD drive is broken.
>>
>> The CD should report INSERT DISC when it's empty, and you click the icon
>> in the Windows Explorer. If the disc is loaded, the Explorer should
>> display the contents.
>>
>> If you can Right Click the icon and choose EJECT to open the tray, but
>> the contents do not appear when the tray is closed, the head on the drive
>> is not working.
>>
>> You can buy a new drive and install it easily.
>>
> This sounds plausible, except for the fact that this is happening on three
> different computers. On the Windows computer, I can
> eject the CD but when it is re-inserted, the only thing when I right click
> on the icon and choose 'open' is : Please insert a disk into Drive D. I
> tried more CDs on this computer (IBM laptop) and on the two that had data
> on them, nothing. On the one with music, it opened just fine and is
> playing right now.

You missed my NEVER MIND Post, where I said my reading comprehension skills
were not what I think they are.

From: Paul on
Jerome Robertson wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Jerome Robertson wrote:
>>> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three
>>> computers so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or
>>> no target found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I
>>> get:
>>> Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
>>>
>>> And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
>>>
>>> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand
>>> new CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has
>>> something on it, and it runs just fine.
>>
>> What burner tool are you using - imgburn, cdburnerxp, nero ?
>>
>> You need a tool that knows how to convert an ISO file, into
>> something suitable for burning the CD.
>>
>> If you're just trying to do "drag-n-drop" with WinXP IMAPI,
>> that won't work. An ISO9660 needs to be parsed by the burning
>> tool, as some bits become the boot code, and other bits
>> are the file system.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAPI
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software
>>
>> Paul
>
> On the Windows computer, I've got cdburnerxp and isobuster. On the two
> linux computers, one of them uses brasero, the other Kb3. Thanks for the
> answer, but I don't think you're understanding what's happening. I know
> not to drag-n-drop but even if I tried that, it wouldn't work because
> according to the computer, there is no CD in the drive. I'm not even
> getting started with any of the burner programs because they all say
> that there is no CD in the drive. And also, all the computers say that
> there is no CD in the drive. So it's not really a matter of me not
> knowing how to burn a CD because I can't burn to something that the
> computer says doesn't exist.

I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a "limitations of Windows burning
capabilities" type question.

On the Windows machine, if you insert the media and read with the free
Nero Infotool, on the media tab, does it say the disc is blank ? I
have version 4 here, and this is up to version 5 now. The "Disc" tab
allows you to insert media, and get a reading of it.

http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_InfoTool_d120.html

With the tool running, I inserted a blank CD. First, the Windows
"what do you want to do" dialog showed up. Presumably as a result
of the INSERTED response. And then the Infotool read the label
on the disc.

Type: Blank CD-R
Manufacturer ID: Ritek
Disc status: Empty

Perhaps you could test with that, and see what kind of response you get.

Paul
From: Jerome Robertson on
Paul wrote:
> Jerome Robertson wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> What burner tool are you using - imgburn, cdburnerxp, nero ?
>>>
>>> You need a tool that knows how to convert an ISO file, into
>>> something suitable for burning the CD.
>>>
>>> If you're just trying to do "drag-n-drop" with WinXP IMAPI,
>>> that won't work. An ISO9660 needs to be parsed by the burning
>>> tool, as some bits become the boot code, and other bits
>>> are the file system.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAPI
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> On the Windows computer, I've got cdburnerxp and isobuster. On the
>> two linux computers, one of them uses brasero, the other Kb3. Thanks
>> for the answer, but I don't think you're understanding what's
>> happening. I know not to drag-n-drop but even if I tried that, it
>> wouldn't work because according to the computer, there is no CD in the
>> drive. I'm not even getting started with any of the burner programs
>> because they all say that there is no CD in the drive. And also, all
>> the computers say that there is no CD in the drive. So it's not
>> really a matter of me not knowing how to burn a CD because I can't
>> burn to something that the computer says doesn't exist.
>
> I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a "limitations of Windows burning
> capabilities" type question.
>
> On the Windows machine, if you insert the media and read with the free
> Nero Infotool, on the media tab, does it say the disc is blank ? I
> have version 4 here, and this is up to version 5 now. The "Disc" tab
> allows you to insert media, and get a reading of it.
>
> http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_InfoTool_d120.html
>
> With the tool running, I inserted a blank CD. First, the Windows
> "what do you want to do" dialog showed up. Presumably as a result
> of the INSERTED response. And then the Infotool read the label
> on the disc.
>
> Type: Blank CD-R
> Manufacturer ID: Ritek
> Disc status: Empty
>
> Perhaps you could test with that, and see what kind of response you get.
>
> Paul

I downloaded the infotool. It finds the drive, but when I insert a CD,
I get: A disk with an unsupported disk type has been detected in the
drive.

And every time I right click on the drive icon, I get 'please insert a
disk into Drive D.'
From: Baron on
Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

> Paul wrote:
>> Jerome Robertson wrote:
>>> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three
>>> computers so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or
>>> no target found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I
>>> get: Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
>>>
>>> And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
>>>
>>> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand
>>> new
>>> CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has
>>> something on it, and it runs just fine.
>>
>> What burner tool are you using - imgburn, cdburnerxp, nero ?
>>
>> You need a tool that knows how to convert an ISO file, into
>> something suitable for burning the CD.
>>
>> If you're just trying to do "drag-n-drop" with WinXP IMAPI,
>> that won't work. An ISO9660 needs to be parsed by the burning
>> tool, as some bits become the boot code, and other bits
>> are the file system.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAPI
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software
>>
>> Paul
>
> On the Windows computer, I've got cdburnerxp and isobuster. On the
> two linux computers, one of them uses brasero, the other Kb3. Thanks
> for the
> answer, but I don't think you're understanding what's happening. I
> know not to drag-n-drop but even if I tried that, it wouldn't work
> because
> according to the computer, there is no CD in the drive. I'm not even
> getting started with any of the burner programs because they all say
> that there is no CD in the drive. And also, all the computers say
> that
> there is no CD in the drive. So it's not really a matter of me not
> knowing how to burn a CD because I can't burn to something that the
> computer says doesn't exist.

I don't know whether it helps but I use "OpenSuSE 11.1" KDE and KB3 to
burn CD's. I do drag n drop the ISO onto the K3B icon, once K3B opens
it then sits and waits for you to put an appropriate size disc into the
drive. After setting it to verify and clicking on "Burn" away it goes.

The obvious answer is that the pack of CD's are in some way defective.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Baron on
Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

> Paul wrote:
>> Jerome Robertson wrote:

>>> On the Windows computer, I've got cdburnerxp and isobuster. On the
>>> two linux computers, one of them uses brasero, the other Kb3. Thanks
>>> for the answer, but I don't think you're understanding what's
>>> happening. I know not to drag-n-drop but even if I tried that, it
>>> wouldn't work because according to the computer, there is no CD in
>>> the
>>> drive. I'm not even getting started with any of the burner programs
>>> because they all say that there is no CD in the drive. And also,
>>> all
>>> the computers say that there is no CD in the drive. So it's not
>>> really a matter of me not knowing how to burn a CD because I can't
>>> burn to something that the computer says doesn't exist.
>>
>> I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a "limitations of Windows
>> burning capabilities" type question.
>>
>> On the Windows machine, if you insert the media and read with the
>> free Nero Infotool, on the media tab, does it say the disc is blank ?
>> I have version 4 here, and this is up to version 5 now. The "Disc"
>> tab allows you to insert media, and get a reading of it.
>>
>> http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_InfoTool_d120.html
>>
>> With the tool running, I inserted a blank CD. First, the Windows
>> "what do you want to do" dialog showed up. Presumably as a result
>> of the INSERTED response. And then the Infotool read the label
>> on the disc.
>>
>> Type: Blank CD-R
>> Manufacturer ID: Ritek
>> Disc status: Empty
>>
>> Perhaps you could test with that, and see what kind of response you
>> get.
>>
>> Paul
>
> I downloaded the infotool. It finds the drive, but when I insert a
> CD,
> I get: A disk with an unsupported disk type has been detected in the
> drive.
>

> And every time I right click on the drive icon, I get 'please insert a
> disk into Drive D.'

Just a WAG... You're not trying to use DVD's in a CD writer...
No thats too obvious. :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.