From: Jerome Robertson on
I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three
computers so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or no
target found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I get:
Please insert a disc into Drive D:.

And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.

I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand new
CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has something
on it, and it runs just fine.
From: Paul on
Jerome Robertson wrote:
> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three
> computers so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or no
> target found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I get:
> Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
>
> And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
>
> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand new
> CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has something
> on it, and it runs just fine.

What burner tool are you using - imgburn, cdburnerxp, nero ?

You need a tool that knows how to convert an ISO file, into
something suitable for burning the CD.

If you're just trying to do "drag-n-drop" with WinXP IMAPI,
that won't work. An ISO9660 needs to be parsed by the burning
tool, as some bits become the boot code, and other bits
are the file system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAPI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software

Paul
From: Jerome Robertson on
Paul wrote:
> Jerome Robertson wrote:
>> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three
>> computers so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or
>> no target found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I get:
>> Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
>>
>> And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
>>
>> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand new
>> CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has something
>> on it, and it runs just fine.
>
> What burner tool are you using - imgburn, cdburnerxp, nero ?
>
> You need a tool that knows how to convert an ISO file, into
> something suitable for burning the CD.
>
> If you're just trying to do "drag-n-drop" with WinXP IMAPI,
> that won't work. An ISO9660 needs to be parsed by the burning
> tool, as some bits become the boot code, and other bits
> are the file system.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAPI
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software
>
> Paul

On the Windows computer, I've got cdburnerxp and isobuster. On the two
linux computers, one of them uses brasero, the other Kb3. Thanks for the
answer, but I don't think you're understanding what's happening. I know
not to drag-n-drop but even if I tried that, it wouldn't work because
according to the computer, there is no CD in the drive. I'm not even
getting started with any of the burner programs because they all say
that there is no CD in the drive. And also, all the computers say that
there is no CD in the drive. So it's not really a matter of me not
knowing how to burn a CD because I can't burn to something that the
computer says doesn't exist.
From: Jeff Strickland on

"Jerome Robertson" <consimgamer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three computers
> so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or no target
> found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I get:
> Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
>
> And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
>
> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand new
> CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has something on
> it, and it runs just fine.

The CD drive is broken.

The CD should report INSERT DISC when it's empty, and you click the icon in
the Windows Explorer. If the disc is loaded, the Explorer should display the
contents.

If you can Right Click the icon and choose EJECT to open the tray, but the
contents do not appear when the tray is closed, the head on the drive is not
working.

You can buy a new drive and install it easily.

From: Jerome Robertson on
Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Jerome Robertson" <consimgamer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three computers
>> so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or no target
>> found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I get:
>> Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
>>
>> And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
>>
>> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand new
>> CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has something on
>> it, and it runs just fine.
>
> The CD drive is broken.
>
> The CD should report INSERT DISC when it's empty, and you click the icon in
> the Windows Explorer. If the disc is loaded, the Explorer should display the
> contents.
>
> If you can Right Click the icon and choose EJECT to open the tray, but the
> contents do not appear when the tray is closed, the head on the drive is not
> working.
>
> You can buy a new drive and install it easily.

This sounds plausible, except for the fact that this is happening on
three different computers. On the Windows computer, I can
eject the CD but when it is re-inserted, the only thing when I right
click on the icon and choose 'open' is : Please insert a disk into Drive
D. I tried more CDs on this computer (IBM laptop) and on the two that
had data on them, nothing. On the one with music, it opened just fine
and is playing right now.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Intermittent problems