From: Jerome Robertson on
Baron wrote:
> Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:
>
>> Paul wrote:

>>> I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a "limitations of Windows
>>> burning capabilities" type question.
>>>
>>> On the Windows machine, if you insert the media and read with the
>>> free Nero Infotool, on the media tab, does it say the disc is blank ?
>>> I have version 4 here, and this is up to version 5 now. The "Disc"
>>> tab allows you to insert media, and get a reading of it.
>>>
>>> http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_InfoTool_d120.html
>>>
>>> With the tool running, I inserted a blank CD. First, the Windows
>>> "what do you want to do" dialog showed up. Presumably as a result
>>> of the INSERTED response. And then the Infotool read the label
>>> on the disc.
>>>
>>> Type: Blank CD-R
>>> Manufacturer ID: Ritek
>>> Disc status: Empty
>>>
>>> Perhaps you could test with that, and see what kind of response you
>>> get.
>>>
>>> Paul
>> I downloaded the infotool. It finds the drive, but when I insert a
>> CD,
>> I get: A disk with an unsupported disk type has been detected in the
>> drive.
>>

>> And every time I right click on the drive icon, I get 'please insert a
>> disk into Drive D.'
>
> Just a WAG... You're not trying to use DVD's in a CD writer...
> No thats too obvious. :-)

No, using a CD-R in a DVD-ROM, Hitachi GDR8081N
From: Paul on
Jerome Robertson wrote:
> Baron wrote:
>> Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

>>> I downloaded the infotool. It finds the drive, but when I insert a
>>> CD,
>>> I get: A disk with an unsupported disk type has been detected in the
>>> drive.
>>>

>>> And every time I right click on the drive icon, I get 'please insert a
>>> disk into Drive D.'
>>
>> Just a WAG... You're not trying to use DVD's in a CD writer...
>> No thats too obvious. :-)
>>
> No, using a CD-R in a DVD-ROM, Hitachi GDR8081N

OK, using the "Drive" tab of Infotool right now, I can see "CD-R"
as a supported feature on my drive. Is that still listed on yours ?

http://majorgeeks.com/screenshots/n/neroinftool.gif

Right now, my drive is connected via USB, but using Device Manager,
it is still using drivers like this:

cdrom.sys 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108) basically WinXP SP3 files
imapi.sys
redbook.sys
storprop.dll

I'm not really sure how those drivers would break down, but I can't
see them being specific to a particular media tag.

Next, I tried a copy of Nero CD-DVD Speed. (The name of the utility
has changed, but the feature set is about the same.)

http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_DiscSpeed_d118.html

If has a Disc info tab, and on a CD-R it includes "ATIP".
(Absolute Time In Pregroove lead-in). Some utilities seem
to give more interpretation of the info here, than others.
And DVDs seem to be quite different.

Manufacturer Minutes
97m15s17f 79:59.70
/ \ / \
0000 - C0 00 90 00 61 0F 11 00 4F 3B 46 00 00 00 80 00
0010 - 00 80 00 00 00 00 00 00

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_time_in_pregroove

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-33 (on how useful ATIP leadin is)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/39

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/12824

The reason for me suggesting yet another tool, is looking for
differences between stuff that works, and stuff that doesn't work.

Paul
From: Baron on
Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

> Baron wrote:
>> Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software

>>> I downloaded the infotool. It finds the drive, but when I insert a
>>> CD,
>>> I get: A disk with an unsupported disk type has been detected in
>>> the drive.
>>>

>>> And every time I right click on the drive icon, I get 'please insert
>>> a disk into Drive D.'
>>
>> Just a WAG... You're not trying to use DVD's in a CD writer...
>> No thats too obvious. :-)
>>
> No, using a CD-R in a DVD-ROM, Hitachi GDR8081N

Have you checked with Hitachi for a firmware update ?
I seem to recollect seeing an update for Hitachi...
It may help.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: sandy58 on
On May 24, 3:34 pm, Jerome Robertson <consimga...(a)earthlink.net>
wrote:
> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD.  I've tried this in three
> computers so far and have gotten same results:  No available disc or no
> target found.  And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I get:
> Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
>
> And there is a disc in the drive.  A blank CD.
>
> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening.  These are brand new
> CDs, just bought them yesterday.  I can put a CD in that has something
> on it, and it runs just fine.

Try another blank or brand of blanks. If all those other cd-dvd
burners can't burn it, then it's down to the
blank. ....................."process of elimination, my dear Watson":-)
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Intermittent problems
Next: CD not found - NEVER MIND