From: MZB on
OK, I removed my laptop's CD (Dell Inspiron 2200).

When I power up, I get an error message basically confirming that there is
no CD drive. I hit the esc key and all boots well.

I have changed the boot order (was CD first but now HD first). I still get
the error.

No big deal, but any other suggestions? Should I try and remove the CD via
the device manager?

Mel

From: Ben Myers on
On 6/22/2010 10:41 PM, MZB wrote:
> OK, I removed my laptop's CD (Dell Inspiron 2200).
>
> When I power up, I get an error message basically confirming that there is
> no CD drive. I hit the esc key and all boots well.
>
> I have changed the boot order (was CD first but now HD first). I still get
> the error.
>
> No big deal, but any other suggestions? Should I try and remove the CD via
> the device manager?
>
> Mel

Removing the CD via device manager does nothing to influence whether or
not the BIOS displays a message, as in this case... Ben Myers
From: Boris on
"MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net> wrote in

> OK, I removed my laptop's CD (Dell Inspiron 2200).
>
> When I power up, I get an error message basically confirming that
> there is no CD drive. I hit the esc key and all boots well.
>
> I have changed the boot order (was CD first but now HD first). I still
> get the error.
>
> No big deal, but any other suggestions? Should I try and remove the CD
> via the device manager?
>
> Mel

Is there a BIOS setting (not a boot order setting) that disables the device
location?
From: Daddy on
Boris wrote:
> "MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net> wrote in
>
>> OK, I removed my laptop's CD (Dell Inspiron 2200).
>>
>> When I power up, I get an error message basically confirming that
>> there is no CD drive. I hit the esc key and all boots well.
>>
>> I have changed the boot order (was CD first but now HD first). I still
>> get the error.
>>
>> No big deal, but any other suggestions? Should I try and remove the CD
>> via the device manager?
>>
>> Mel
>>

> Is there a BIOS setting (not a boot order setting) that disables the device
> location?

The BIOS lists devices that POST tells it are physically connected. If
you physically removed the drive and it's still being detected during
POST, physically remove from the motherboard the data cable that was
attaching the drive. There is now no chance that POST will detect the
presence of the drive. If a drive is still detected, I'm afraid you've
got bigger problems (possibly a corrupted BIOS.)

Daddy
From: Ben Myers on
On 6/23/2010 12:54 PM, Daddy wrote:
> Boris wrote:
>> "MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net> wrote in
>>> OK, I removed my laptop's CD (Dell Inspiron 2200).
>>>
>>> When I power up, I get an error message basically confirming that
>>> there is no CD drive. I hit the esc key and all boots well.
>>>
>>> I have changed the boot order (was CD first but now HD first). I still
>>> get the error.
>>>
>>> No big deal, but any other suggestions? Should I try and remove the CD
>>> via the device manager?
>>>
>>> Mel
>>>

>> Is there a BIOS setting (not a boot order setting) that disables the
>> device location?
>
> The BIOS lists devices that POST tells it are physically connected. If
> you physically removed the drive and it's still being detected during
> POST, physically remove from the motherboard the data cable that was
> attaching the drive. There is now no chance that POST will detect the
> presence of the drive. If a drive is still detected, I'm afraid you've
> got bigger problems (possibly a corrupted BIOS.)
>
> Daddy

With a laptop, there is no cable between optical drive and motherboard.
The drive simply plugs into the motherboard, using the standard
connector on the drive.

I am almost 100% certain that the Inspiron 2200 BIOS, like (nearly all)
other Dell laptop BIOSes ALWAYS tries to detect an optical drive. By
contrast, the Latitude D600 can have any one of optical, floppy or
battery in the drive bay, and it's BIOS was made smart enough to figure
all this out and not display an error message.

In other words, the Inspiron 2200 makes the naive assumption that an
optical drive is always present, because there are no other hardware
pieces that will fit in the drive bay.

To put it differently, the missing optical drive message cannot be
suppressed (except by rewriting and reflashing the BIOS), and it is not
a sign of a corrupted BIOS, but of a correctly functioning one.

.... Ben Myers