From: JayB on
I have an XPS M1330 with behavior I have not seen before.
Turning on the laptop works once and hits the Dell logo,
and the post screen, and the bar seems to go across to the end slowly,
the screen got some blue bars on it, like a bad video card,
then it clears the screen and just sits there forever.
no sign of activity.

subsequent tries result in power up, but nothing at all on the display
except a blank screen.
connecting to external monitor did not result in anything different.

removed the battery, power, memory chips, and the same results.

i suspect a bad video card, or an overheat problem, or both.
how can I isolate and fix this?
thanks.
jay
From: Christopher Muto on
JayB wrote:
> I have an XPS M1330 with behavior I have not seen before.
> Turning on the laptop works once and hits the Dell logo,
> and the post screen, and the bar seems to go across to the end slowly,
> the screen got some blue bars on it, like a bad video card,
> then it clears the screen and just sits there forever.
> no sign of activity.
>
> subsequent tries result in power up, but nothing at all on the display
> except a blank screen.
> connecting to external monitor did not result in anything different.
>
> removed the battery, power, memory chips, and the same results.
>
> i suspect a bad video card, or an overheat problem, or both.
> how can I isolate and fix this?
> thanks.
> jay

what is the status of the capslock, scroollock, and numblock key leds.
they may be presenting you with an error code that can be looked up on
support.dell.com. also, i would suggest reseating the system memory to
see if that helps, and if not would pull the cd drive and then try to
boot from the optical drive to eliminate the hard disk as the source of
the problem (and the most common problem with laptops.
From: JayB on
thanks Chris
of course i tried all the other things you suggested.
i originally thought malware, but i cant even get anything to display
when it turns on.

holding to function key when pressing the power button runs a diagnostic
resulting in the A light (caps lock) is flashing,
which i think signifies a bad video card.
not sure what to do from here.
is there a video card that can come out?
i'm not used to XPS model laptops.

From: Pen on
On 6/23/2010 6:46 PM, JayB wrote:
> thanks Chris
> of course i tried all the other things you suggested.
> i originally thought malware, but i cant even get anything
> to display when it turns on.
>
> holding to function key when pressing the power button runs
> a diagnostic
> resulting in the A light (caps lock) is flashing,
> which i think signifies a bad video card.
> not sure what to do from here.
> is there a video card that can come out?
> i'm not used to XPS model laptops.

The Dell docs are found here.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/xpsm1330/en/om/html/specs.htm#wp1102222
They indicate that there could be a separate video card, if
you ordered it. If you don't know, then go here and enter
your service tag and you can get the original configuration.
Click on the system configuration link.
http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs
From: JayB on
thanks
i will run the service tag for the orig config.

i didnt see a separate video card in the 1 slots provided.
instead there were 2 cards- WLan and WWAN cards.
is there another place the video card would be?