From: adm on
Dear All,

Earlier to today I got a no brand ExpressCard 34 CF card reader for my
MBP. When I first fitted it and plugged in a CF card, it immediately
popped up on the desktop with no problem. However - it didn't launch
Nikon Transfer (as my other USB Cf reader, or plugging my camera in
directly does).

So...... I stuck the included CD into the MBP, launched the Mac
installer .pkg (which was called JMicronATADriver.pkg), went through
the install and now......

Nothing much happens when I plug a CF card in! I get a little icon in
the menu that shows it is recognised, but that's all - if I click on
that I only get an option to "Power Off Card" - if I click that, the
icon disappears, so i presume it's doing just what it says.

So - anybody know how I can uninstall the JMicronATADriver ? There is
of course no OSX uninstaller and a spotlight search on JMicron shows
nothing....

From: Chris Ridd on
On 2008-05-07 17:42:17 +0100, adm <adm1(a)fastmail.fm> said:

> So - anybody know how I can uninstall the JMicronATADriver ? There is
> of course no OSX uninstaller and a spotlight search on JMicron shows
> nothing....

Might they have installed an uninstall script, or uninstall instructions?

If not, you'll need to find out which files were installed by querying
the packaging system, and move them aside yourself. (But be careful, as
the reason why there's no OS X uninstaller is because the packaging
system doesn't know if files are installed in multiple packages, so
can't safely remove things.)

To query Leopard's packaging system use the terminal and type:

pkgutil --pkgs | grep -i jmicron

Hopefully that'll print something like "com.jmicron.something". Then
get a list of installed files using:

pkgutil --files com.jmicron.something

On Tiger it is worse - use the terminal and type:

cd /Library/Receipts
ls | grep -i jmicron

That ought to print out something like JMicronSomething. Then navigate
into the receipt and list out the bill of materials (installed files):

cd JMicronSomething
lsbom *.bom */*.bom

I can't remember the full details of Tiger, but the above's reasonably close.

Ugh, eh?

Cheers,

Chris

From: adm on

"Chris Ridd" <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote in message
> On 2008-05-07 17:42:17 +0100, adm <adm1(a)fastmail.fm> said:
>
>> So - anybody know how I can uninstall the JMicronATADriver ? There is of
>> course no OSX uninstaller and a spotlight search on JMicron shows
>> nothing....
>
> Might they have installed an uninstall script, or uninstall instructions?

Sadly not. Nothing quite so helpful......

A bit more research determines it's actually an Expansys DR25 card.......and
of course I'm not the only Mac user that's had exactly the same problem.

It also turns out that of course the driver isn't needed, and there's now
way to uninstall it short of a complete OS Archive and Reinstall.

Brilliant.

> If not, you'll need to find out which files were installed by querying the
> packaging system, and move them aside yourself. (But be careful, as the
> reason why there's no OS X uninstaller is because the packaging system
> doesn't know if files are installed in multiple packages, so can't safely
> remove things.)
>
> To query Leopard's packaging system use the terminal and type:
>
> pkgutil --pkgs | grep -i jmicron
>
> Hopefully that'll print something like "com.jmicron.something". Then get a
> list of installed files using:
>
> pkgutil --files com.jmicron.something
>
> On Tiger it is worse - use the terminal and type:
>
> cd /Library/Receipts
> ls | grep -i jmicron
>
> That ought to print out something like JMicronSomething. Then navigate
> into the receipt and list out the bill of materials (installed files):
>
> cd JMicronSomething
> lsbom *.bom */*.bom
>
> I can't remember the full details of Tiger, but the above's reasonably
> close.
>
> Ugh, eh?

Thanks for the help. I shall try now.....sadly though it appears that the
driver install modifies things that it shouldn't really modify.

I have the Leopard Install DVD to hand......

From: Chris Ridd on
On 2008-05-07 19:16:59 +0100, "adm" <adm1(a)fastmail.fm> said:

> Thanks for the help. I shall try now.....sadly though it appears that the
> driver install modifies things that it shouldn't really modify.

Ew, such as?

> I have the Leopard Install DVD to hand......

That's a bit desperate. Are you running Time Machine?

Cheers,

Chris