From: alfo on
I was asking about XP Chkdsk in another thread and now Chkdsk
reports a glitch on my system. I ran Chkdsk in XP's line command
box and got this:

---------------------
C:\Documents and Settings\Alfo>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is C:XP SYSTEM2

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
Deleting orphan file record segment 111047.

I haven't specified the F parameter so that orphan file in segment
111047 is still on my system. A reboot doesn't make any difference
because Chkdsk still reports the orphan file.

How can I view what is contained in that orphan file before I run
CHKDSK /F ?

Are there any free utilities which will run the equivalent of Chkdsk
(perhaps on several partitions) and provide a friendlier interface?