From: Ant on
Question: Do 2.5" HDD enclosure for 2.5" HDDs exists? I recall that
notebooks/laptops use this size. It would be nice to be able to have one
that uses 2.5" size when I still have my old regular sized HD enclosure
for the desktop size ones.
--
"..., you ready for a little dumpster diving?" "Um... okay." "You know I
don't mind getting my hands dirty." "I mean, maggots, wet trash, I am
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote

> Question: Do 2.5" HDD enclosure for 2.5" HDDs exists?

Yep. And the sata drive docking stations mostly accept both 3.5" and 2.5" sata drives.

> I recall that notebooks/laptops use this size.

Yes.

> It would be nice to be able to have one that uses 2.5" size when I still have my old regular sized HD enclosure for
> the desktop size ones.

Yes, you can get both types of enclosures.

From: Ant on
On 10/11/2009 12:34 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>> Question: Do 2.5" HDD enclosure for 2.5" HDDs exists?
>
> Yep. And the sata drive docking stations mostly accept both 3.5" and 2.5" sata drives.
>
>> I recall that notebooks/laptops use this size.
>
> Yes.
>
>> It would be nice to be able to have one that uses 2.5" size when I still have my old regular sized HD enclosure for
>> the desktop size ones.
>
> Yes, you can get both types of enclosures.

Is there a such thing of having an enclsoure for both sizes (2 in 1)?
--
"Where the sugar is, there will the ant be also." --Philippines
/\___/\
From: Ant on
On 10/11/2009 4:33 PM PT, Ed Light typed:

>> Question: Do 2.5" HDD enclosure for 2.5" HDDs exists?
>
> I have had bad experiences with several of them, but they were all IDE,
> not SATA. Incompatibilities with my motherboard would cause Windows to
> lock up if I tried to shut down with the drive attached, for instance.
> My present enclosure behaves ok but the SMART info. cannot be read.
>
> I have a new 3 1/2" Western Digital Elements external drive that is
> great, no problems at all, and the SMART data shows up (in Win XP, in
> the HD Sentinel program). Perhaps their 2 1/2" drives will do that. You
> should buy from a shop that will let you return it in case of
> incompatibilities.
>
> Believe me, winding up trying lots of enclosures for a bare drive is no
> fun, and can get expensive (return postage, restocking fees).

Bummer. Is anyone else experiencing this too?
--
"Any spoke will lead the ant to the hub." --unknown
/\___/\
From: Robert Nichols on
In article <eqednf35tohQq0_XnZ2dnUVZ_uNi4p2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote:
:On 10/11/2009 12:34 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:
:
:>> Question: Do 2.5" HDD enclosure for 2.5" HDDs exists?
:>
:> Yep. And the sata drive docking stations mostly accept both 3.5" and 2.5" sata drives.
:>
:>> I recall that notebooks/laptops use this size.
:>
:> Yes.
:>
:>> It would be nice to be able to have one that uses 2.5" size when I still have my old regular sized HD enclosure for
:>> the desktop size ones.
:>
:> Yes, you can get both types of enclosures.
:
:Is there a such thing of having an enclsoure for both sizes (2 in 1)?

You can get adapter brackets to mount a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" housing.
The connectors are identical, so all you need is a mechanical adapter.
But, if you're going to have a housing big enough to hold 3.5" drives,
then obviously you'd need some reason other than physical size to opt
for the more expensive and lower-capacity 2.5" drives. I don't think
you're going to find a housing that accepts, e.g., four 3.5" drives
OR eight 2.5" drives.