From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote

>>> But I can format as FAT32 to use all the disk space
>>> on other computers like Mac, Linux, etc. right?

>> You can. I am not sure how to do this with Windows, but Linux
>> mkdosfs with option -F32 (use FAT32) will happily format large
>> drives as well and they work under Windows.

> Looks like format command with its /FS:FAT32 according
> to XP Pro. SP2's format command line help:

XP wont format partitions bigger than 32GB FAT32.
Its happy to use them, just wont format them FAT32.

> C:\>format /?
> Formats a disk for use with Windows XP.

> FORMAT volume [/FS:file-system] [/V:label] [/Q] [/A:size] [/C] [/X]
> FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/F:size]
> FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/T:tracks /N:sectors]
> FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q]
> FORMAT volume [/Q]
>
> volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
> mount point, or volume name.
> /FS:filesystem Specifies the type of the file system (FAT, FAT32,
> or NTFS). /V:label Specifies the volume label.
> /Q Performs a quick format.
> /C NTFS only: Files created on the new volume will be
> compressed by default.
> /X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
> All opened handles to the volume would no longer be
> valid. /A:size Overrides the default allocation unit size.
> Default settings are strongly recommended for
> general use. NTFS supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096,
> 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K. FAT supports 512, 1024, 2048,
> 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K, (128K, 256K for sector
> size > 512 bytes). FAT32 supports 512, 1024, 2048,
> 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K, (128K, 256K for sector
> size > 512 bytes). Note that the FAT and FAT32 files
> systems impose the following restrictions on the
> number of clusters on a volume: FAT: Number of
> clusters <= 65526 FAT32: 65526 < Number of clusters
> < 4177918 Format will immediately stop processing if
> it decides that the above requirements cannot be met
> using the specified cluster size.
> NTFS compression is not supported for allocation
> unit sizes above 4096.
> /F:size Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format
> (1.44) /T:tracks Specifies the number of tracks per disk side.
> /N:sectors Specifies the number of sectors per track.

> I guess I could also use PartitionMagic v8 or some other
> disk tool to change the file system if I don't want to
> reformat and lose datas (of course, back up first).

There arent too many that will do NTFS to FAT32 reformats without loss of data.

Easy enough to just copy the data off, reformat and copy it back.

> I want this portable HDD to be compatible with most computers.
> I noticed Seagate do have Windows 98 drivers if needed:
> http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=portable-drivers&vgnextoid=fba08eaf05c70110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

> http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=194371&NewLang=en
> was interesting -- "Preparing the Seagate external disc drive in Mac OS
> X. Mac OS X cannot mount a FAT32 partition larger than 137 GB (128 GB
> binary value). Our partition is 160 GB (149 GB binary value). Since
> your external drive comes with a large FAT32 partition preinstalled,
> you will need to intialize the drive to use it in Mac OS X..." That sounds
> like I won't be able to use all of the disk space as one partition.
> Maybe that is why Mac OS X wasn't supported and NTFS was used.
> IIRC, Linux and Mac OS X can't write NTFS well (buggy?). :(

Thats not true of Linux anymore.

From: Ant on
On 10/20/2009 2:34 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> Ant wrote

>>> You can. I am not sure how to do this with Windows, but Linux
>>> mkdosfs with option -F32 (use FAT32) will happily format large
>>> drives as well and they work under Windows.
>
>> Looks like format command with its /FS:FAT32 according
>> to XP Pro. SP2's format command line help:
>
> XP wont format partitions bigger than 32GB FAT32.
> Its happy to use them, just wont format them FAT32.

What about other Windows like 7, Vista, 9x, etc.? If not, then can any
Windows software do it or do I have to do it via Linux/UNIX?

>> http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=194371&NewLang=en
>> was interesting -- "Preparing the Seagate external disc drive in Mac OS
>> X. Mac OS X cannot mount a FAT32 partition larger than 137 GB (128 GB
>> binary value). Our partition is 160 GB (149 GB binary value). Since
>> your external drive comes with a large FAT32 partition preinstalled,
>> you will need to intialize the drive to use it in Mac OS X..." That sounds
>> like I won't be able to use all of the disk space as one partition.
>> Maybe that is why Mac OS X wasn't supported and NTFS was used.
>> IIRC, Linux and Mac OS X can't write NTFS well (buggy?). :(
>
> Thats not true of Linux anymore.

Oh good. I remember NTFS was really bad under Linux. It had a buggy
write option too in Kernel or something. I assume newer Mac OS X
versions (ignoring 10.2.x) can do the same now?
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being
torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Ant on
On 10/20/2009 2:28 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> So can any Win 2K.
>
>> Still weird to pull it off.
>
> Nope, hardly anyone uses it anymore.

I am still surprised MS still supports it and IE6 after all these years.
I have a few clients who still use 2000 SP4. Hey, it's better than
crashy 9x and Me!

>> I am starting to like this tiny HDD since it is lighter,
>> portable, and efficient for me to move around faster.
>
> Yeah, they are very convenient when you need more than a USB stick can do.

Yeah Flash sticks/drives are limited with their disk spaces and quite
expensive. Maybe in five years. ;)

>> I think I will get one when I see a sale or something. So far,
>> I tried it with three different netbooks, a couple old desktops
>> (about five years old), etc. at work. I have used Windows
>> XP SP2, Vista, and 7 so far, and no problems. All were
>> connected to it directly (no hubs and devices which I rarely
>> do). I haven't tried it with Linux and Mac OS X yet, but I don't have
>> any here nor can take it home to try it on my home machines. :(
>
>> There are two bad things. I hate its short USB cable. I
>> assume I can use an USB extension cable without problems.
>
> Yes.

Cool.

>> Also, its warranty is only two years? No five years?
>
> Thats almost universal with external hard drives, in fact many have only 1 year.

Wow. I thought all Seagate HDDs were five years for warranty. I guess
it's only for internal HDDs. :( Do these external HDDs last long?
--
"If ants are such busy workers, how come they find time to go to all the
picnics?" --Marie Dressler
From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Ant wrote

>>> Looks like format command with its /FS:FAT32 according
>>> to XP Pro. SP2's format command line help:

>> XP wont format partitions bigger than 32GB FAT32.
>> Its happy to use them, just wont format them FAT32.

> What about other Windows like 7, Vista,

Those are the same as XP in that regard.

> 9x, etc.?

9x will do it fine. So will DOS.

> If not, then can any Windows software do it or do I have to do it via Linux/UNIX?

You can also use plenty of Win apps to do it too.

>>> http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=194371&NewLang=en
>>> was interesting -- "Preparing the Seagate external disc drive in
>>> Mac OS X. Mac OS X cannot mount a FAT32 partition larger than 137
>>> GB (128 GB binary value). Our partition is 160 GB (149 GB binary
>>> value). Since your external drive comes with a large FAT32 partition preinstalled,
>>> you will need to intialize the drive to use it in Mac OS X..." That
>>> sounds like I won't be able to use all of the disk space as one
>>> partition. Maybe that is why Mac OS X wasn't supported and NTFS was used.
>>> IIRC, Linux and Mac OS X can't write NTFS well (buggy?). :(

>> Thats not true of Linux anymore.

> Oh good. I remember NTFS was really bad under Linux.

It hasnt been that for a long time now, particularly with reads.

> It had a buggy write option too in Kernel or something. I assume newer Mac OS X versions (ignoring 10.2.x) can do the
> same now?

Dunno.

From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> So can any Win 2K.

>>> Still weird to pull it off.

>> Nope, hardly anyone uses it anymore.

> I am still surprised MS still supports it

They dont actually.

> and IE6 after all these years. I have a few clients who still use 2000 SP4.

Yeah, there's always a few dinosaurs around.

> Hey, it's better than crashy 9x and Me!

Not necessarily, depends on what you want to do.

>>> I am starting to like this tiny HDD since it is lighter,
>>> portable, and efficient for me to move around faster.

>> Yeah, they are very convenient when you need more than a USB stick can do.

> Yeah Flash sticks/drives are limited with their disk spaces and quite expensive. Maybe in five years. ;)

>>> I think I will get one when I see a sale or something. So far,
>>> I tried it with three different netbooks, a couple old desktops
>>> (about five years old), etc. at work. I have used Windows
>>> XP SP2, Vista, and 7 so far, and no problems. All were
>>> connected to it directly (no hubs and devices which I rarely
>>> do). I haven't tried it with Linux and Mac OS X yet, but I don't
>>> have any here nor can take it home to try it on my home machines. :(

>>> There are two bad things. I hate its short USB cable. I
>>> assume I can use an USB extension cable without problems.

>> Yes.

> Cool.

>>> Also, its warranty is only two years? No five years?

>> Thats almost universal with external hard drives, in fact many have only 1 year.

> Wow. I thought all Seagate HDDs were five years for warranty.

Nar not their externals, and not even all their internals either now, they've
gone back to 3 years for some of them, now that they have absorbed Maxtor.

> I guess it's only for internal HDDs. :(

Not anymore.

> Do these external HDDs last long?

The 2.5" drives do. Its hard to drop them etc tho. They dont like being dropped onto a hard floor.