From: David Brown on
Ant wrote:
> On 10/20/2009 2:28 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:
>
>> So can any Win 2K.
>>
>>> Still weird to pull it off.
>>
>> Nope, hardly anyone uses it anymore.
>
> I am still surprised MS still supports it and IE6 after all these years.
> I have a few clients who still use 2000 SP4. Hey, it's better than
> crashy 9x and Me!

MS don't support W2K (don't know about IE6 - I almost never use IE).

There are not many still using W2K, but some do, for several reasons.
One is that if you have a working W2K machine, there is almost nothing
to be gained (and plenty to lose) by moving it to a newer windows version.

Another reason is that W2K can easily and quickly be installed without
any activation (you still need a license, of course). Combined with
lighter resource requirements than XP, this makes it very convenient for
virtual machines.

A lot of people still use IE6 - I think it was about 20% last time I
looked at one of these browser statistics reports.
From: Ant on
On 10/20/2009 10:29 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> Ant wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Ant wrote

>>> XP wont format partitions bigger than 32GB FAT32.
>>> Its happy to use them, just wont format them FAT32.
>
>> What about other Windows like 7, Vista,
>
> Those are the same as XP in that regard.
>
>> 9x, etc.?
>
> 9x will do it fine. So will DOS.

Interesting. Why did MS do that? Force users to use NTFS? I guess I
would have to boot up a Windows 98 SE/Me in VMware. Pure DOS won't work
since lack of USB driver for the drive.

>> If not, then can any Windows software do it or do I have to do it via Linux/UNIX?
>
> You can also use plenty of Win apps to do it too.

Like which ones (freewares)? Old commercial PartitionMagic v8 is OK?

>>> Thats not true of Linux anymore.
>
>> Oh good. I remember NTFS was really bad under Linux.
>
> It hasnt been that for a long time now, particularly with reads.

I was referring to the write part. Read was fine back then.
--
"Ants can attack with a grain of rice." --a Malagasy Proverb
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Ant on
On 10/20/2009 10:34 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>>> So can any Win 2K.

>>> Nope, hardly anyone uses it anymore.
>
>> I am still surprised MS still supports it
>
> They dont actually.

Um, they are still releasing updates for both 2K Pro. and IE6. See these
two links/URLs:
1. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=14&y=17&p1=3071
2. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071

>> and IE6 after all these years. I have a few clients who still use 2000 SP4.
>
> Yeah, there's always a few dinosaurs around.

And it still works great for old stuff.

>> Hey, it's better than crashy 9x and Me!
>
> Not necessarily, depends on what you want to do.

Oh come on. NT OS' are so much stable and better. 9x and Me always crashes.

>> Wow. I thought all Seagate HDDs were five years for warranty.
>
> Nar not their externals, and not even all their internals either now, they've
> gone back to 3 years for some of them, now that they have absorbed Maxtor.

Damnit! Who is still doing five years? Samsung only? Does Samsung sell
2.5" external HDDs. I remmeber you or someone mentioning them doing good
in the past.

>> I guess it's only for internal HDDs. :(
>
> Not anymore.

:(

>> Do these external HDDs last long?
>
> The 2.5" drives do. Its hard to drop them etc tho. They dont like being dropped onto a hard floor.

Cool.
--
"To conquer the world, we must be as meticulous and calculating as a
colony of ants on the march." --Julius Caesar
From: Ant on
On 10/21/2009 4:54 AM PT, David Brown typed:

> MS don't support W2K (don't know about IE6 - I almost never use IE).

Um, they are still releasing updates for both 2K Pro. and IE6. See these
two links/URLs:
1. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=14&y=17&p1=3071
2. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071

In fact, I got updates through MS Updates (also can be downloaded
through Automatic Updates) last week's Tuesday!

> There are not many still using W2K, but some do, for several reasons.
> One is that if you have a working W2K machine, there is almost nothing
> to be gained (and plenty to lose) by moving it to a newer windows version.

Yep for old school softwares and basic stuff that don't require latest
stuff.

> Another reason is that W2K can easily and quickly be installed without
> any activation (you still need a license, of course). Combined with
> lighter resource requirements than XP, this makes it very convenient for
> virtual machines.

YES! Another reason. Also, dang fast.

> A lot of people still use IE6 - I think it was about 20% last time I
> looked at one of these browser statistics reports.

Yeah. MS doesn't allow IE7 and higher in 2K either. So it is either IE6
or third party Web browsers.
--
"Ants are so much like human beings as to be an embarrassment. They farm
fungi, raise aphids as livestock, launch armies into wars, use chemical
From: David Brown on
Ant wrote:
> On 10/21/2009 4:54 AM PT, David Brown typed:
>
>> MS don't support W2K (don't know about IE6 - I almost never use IE).
>
> Um, they are still releasing updates for both 2K Pro. and IE6. See these
> two links/URLs:
> 1. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=14&y=17&p1=3071
> 2. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071
>
> In fact, I got updates through MS Updates (also can be downloaded
> through Automatic Updates) last week's Tuesday!

I thought W2K support had been dropped. Perhaps they still make the odd
fix, but don't provide active support (by telephone or email). They
also provide support for server and embedded versions for longer than
for desktop versions.

>> There are not many still using W2K, but some do, for several reasons.
>> One is that if you have a working W2K machine, there is almost nothing
>> to be gained (and plenty to lose) by moving it to a newer windows
>> version.
>
> Yep for old school softwares and basic stuff that don't require latest
> stuff.

It's not just "basic" stuff - a great deal of windows software runs fine
on W2K.

>> Another reason is that W2K can easily and quickly be installed without
>> any activation (you still need a license, of course). Combined with
>> lighter resource requirements than XP, this makes it very convenient
>> for virtual machines.
>
> YES! Another reason. Also, dang fast.
>

>> A lot of people still use IE6 - I think it was about 20% last time I
>> looked at one of these browser statistics reports.
>
> Yeah. MS doesn't allow IE7 and higher in 2K either. So it is either IE6
> or third party Web browsers.

I don't use intentionally use IE except for a couple of websites once or
twice a year. Our company has banned IE for general usage for security
reasons - IE is only allowed for a few specific sites (such as one
retarded bank site). I don't think there was a single complaint or
objection, and once people had tried Firefox with Adblock, few use
anything else at home either.