From: Rod Speed on
David Brown wrote
> Ant wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> So can any Win 2K.

>>> Nope, hardly anyone uses it anymore.

>> I am still surprised MS still supports it and IE6 after all these years. I have a few clients who still use 2000 SP4.
>> Hey, it's better
>> than crashy 9x and Me!

> MS don't support W2K (don't know about IE6 - I almost never use IE).

> There are not many still using W2K, but some do, for several reasons.
> One is that if you have a working W2K machine, there is almost nothing
> to be gained (and plenty to lose) by moving it to a newer windows version.

Wrong, as always. USB for example works a hell of a lot better with XP.

WiFi in spades.

From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> I am still surprised MS still supports it

>> They dont actually.

> Um, they are still releasing updates for both 2K Pro. and IE6.

Just 2kPro, not 2K.

> See these two links/URLs:
> 1. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=14&y=17&p1=3071

Mainstream support is retired already.

> 2. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071

Ditto.

>>> and IE6 after all these years. I have a few clients who still use 2000 SP4.

>> Yeah, there's always a few dinosaurs around.

> And it still works great for old stuff.

But not for stuff as basic as USB and wifi.

>>> Hey, it's better than crashy 9x and Me!

>> Not necessarily, depends on what you want to do.

> Oh come on. NT OS' are so much stable and better.

Thats just plain wrong with USB and wifi and all sorts of other stuff like networking too.

> 9x and Me always crashes.

Bullshit. ME works fine if you know what you are doing.

>>> Wow. I thought all Seagate HDDs were five years for warranty.

>> Nar not their externals, and not even all their internals either now, they've gone back to 3 years for some of them,
>> now that they have absorbed Maxtor.

> Damnit! Who is still doing five years?

No one on their entire line.

> Samsung only?

It only does 5 years selectively too.

> Does Samsung sell 2.5" external HDDs.

Yep, mate of mine has just been stupid enough to put one thru the
washing machine quite literally. Worked fine when it had dried out.

> I remmeber you or someone mentioning them doing good in the past.

Yeah, me, Arno and John all like them.

From: David Brown on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Ant wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> They dont actually.
>
>> Um, they are still releasing updates for both 2K Pro. and IE6.
>
> Just 2kPro, not 2K.

Did many people use the W2K home version? At that time, MS was still
marketing the Win9x line for home use and the NT line for professional
use, so you typically had either WinME or W2Kpro.

>> See these two links/URLs:
>> 1. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=14&y=17&p1=3071
>
> Mainstream support is retired already.
>
>> 2. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071
>
> Ditto.

>>> Yeah, there's always a few dinosaurs around.
>
>> And it still works great for old stuff.
>
> But not for stuff as basic as USB and wifi.

W2K Pro is fine for USB. Obviously you might have trouble finding
specific drivers for newer hardware, but lots of other things work
perfectly well.

Wifi is also fine (in W2K pro) if you have drivers for your card. You
typically need hardware-specific utilities to connect - it's certainly
easier and more consistent with XP. But if your wifi card has W2K
support, it will work fine.

>>> Not necessarily, depends on what you want to do.
>
>> Oh come on. NT OS' are so much stable and better.
>
> Thats just plain wrong with USB and wifi and all sorts of other stuff like networking too.

I have to agree with Ant here. There can be no serious argument
suggesting that even the best of the Win9x line (Win98SE, IHMHO) was as
stable or reliable as the worst of the NT line (NT4.0 before the first
couple of service packs). The NT line has also always been stronger for
networking. There was a time when the Win9x line was better for USB
(NT4.0 had very little USB support), but by Win2K, the NT line was
stronger, more stable, and had greater functionality than the Win9x line
(except perhaps for games-oriented graphics). It cost more, and had
higher resource demands than WinME, of course.

>> 9x and Me always crashes.
>
> Bullshit. ME works fine if you know what you are doing.

Most systems are stable enough if you treat them appropriately, and can
be crashed if you treat them badly. It's just that the NT line will
stand up to more pushing (compared to the Win9x line) before falling over.

From: David Brown on
Rod Speed wrote:
> David Brown wrote
>> Ant wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> I am still surprised MS still supports it and IE6 after all these years. I have a few clients who still use 2000 SP4.
>>> Hey, it's better
>>> than crashy 9x and Me!
>
>> MS don't support W2K (don't know about IE6 - I almost never use IE).
>
>> There are not many still using W2K, but some do, for several reasons.
>> One is that if you have a working W2K machine, there is almost nothing
>> to be gained (and plenty to lose) by moving it to a newer windows version.
>
> Wrong, as always. USB for example works a hell of a lot better with XP.

USB works fine for me with W2K Pro. It certainly doesn't support newer
hardware that requires its own drivers - there's no doubt that support
for new hardware is better in new systems.

> WiFi in spades.

WiFi works fine for me with W2K Pro on systems with drivers for W2K.
It's not as nice as with XP - you have to use hardware-specific
utilities for finding and connecting to networks. But once that's done,
it works without trouble.

From: Ant on
On 10/22/2009 12:07 AM PT, David Brown typed:

> W2K Pro is fine for USB. Obviously you might have trouble finding
> specific drivers for newer hardware, but lots of other things work
> perfectly well.

Ditto.

> Wifi is also fine (in W2K pro) if you have drivers for your card. You
> typically need hardware-specific utilities to connect - it's certainly
> easier and more consistent with XP. But if your wifi card has W2K
> support, it will work fine.

Ditto. Key thing is OLD stuff and not newer stuff.

> I have to agree with Ant here. There can be no serious argument
> suggesting that even the best of the Win9x line (Win98SE, IHMHO) was as
> stable or reliable as the worst of the NT line (NT4.0 before the first
> couple of service packs). The NT line has also always been stronger for
> networking. There was a time when the Win9x line was better for USB
> (NT4.0 had very little USB support), but by Win2K, the NT line was
> stronger, more stable, and had greater functionality than the Win9x line
> (except perhaps for games-oriented graphics). It cost more, and had
> higher resource demands than WinME, of course.

IIRC, 2000 Pro. SP4 had USB support compared to earlier service packs.

> Most systems are stable enough if you treat them appropriately, and can
> be crashed if you treat them badly. It's just that the NT line will
> stand up to more pushing (compared to the Win9x line) before falling over.

[shrugs] I can easily crash 9x without doing anything hard.
--
"The constant creeping of ants will wear away the stone." --unknown
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com