From: Ant on
On 10/23/2009 11:48 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>> What's the length limit?
>
> There isnt any nice tidy limit with that.

So across the room or more is bad?

>> It's long enough from the bottom of the PC case to the top of my desk. I dislike putting it on the floor.
>
> Thats fine.

Cool. :)

>>> IMO, the short warranty for these external drives comes largely from the assumption that they are likely to receive
>>> rougher treatment than a drive mounted in a heavier piece of equipment. For the higher-powered 3.5" drives, lack of
>>> fans is also an issue.
>
>> Ah. I hope this 2.5" Seagate one has a fan.
>
> None of the 2.5" drives do, they dont need one.

Oh.
--
"I killed an ant, now all my relatives are afraid of me." --unknown
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> What's the length limit?

>> There isnt any nice tidy limit with that.

Essentially because its the guage of wire in the extension cable
that matters with higher current devices powered from the USB.

> So across the room or more is bad?

Thats bad for other reasons.

From: Rod Speed on
John Turco wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Ant wrote

>>> Does Samsung sell 2.5" external HDDs.

>> Yep, mate of mine has just been stupid enough to put one thru the
>> washing machine quite literally. Worked fine when it had dried out.

>>> I remmeber you or someone mentioning them doing good in the past.

>> Yeah, me, Arno and John all like them.

> Okay, Rod...if I'm the "John" that you referred to, above,

You are indeed.

> you were most definitely correct. My present PC has been humming along
> with a pair of Samsung 160GB PATA puppies (SP1614N), since May of 2004.

> Plus, I bought two Samsung 500GB SATA specimens (HD501LJ),
> for my new computer build -- although, I'd dropped one of them,
> from a height of about two feet. While examining it, it simply
> slipped out of my hands and first struck the steel railing of
> my bed, and then landed on a carpeted wood floor.

I've reported you to the RSPCFREDWWD

> This happened in September, 2008, and the online vendor's 1-year
> warranty has already expired. (All of my Samsung hard drives are
> 3.5" OEM models.) I just never got around to trying to exchange
> it; besides, would I have even been >able< to do so, successfully,
> if the HD501LJ has built-in "sensors" of a sort, which recorded
> the traumatic event?

They dont.

> My concern has helped to delay the assembly of my "dream machine."
> I wanted a second HDD for utility purposes, (i.e., video capture
> and DVD "burning") and thus, the other HD501LJ will become
> my main disk (OS/programs/data), by default (no pun intended).

> Now, regarding the subject of this thread (external hard drives). A
> couple of weeks ago, inside a local "warehouse club" store, I saw a
> Western Digital 1TB "My Book Home" (WDH1CS10000N), for approximately
> $110 USD. That thing had gaudy specifications (USB 2.0, FireWire and
> eSATA), at such an affordable price point. I was almost ready to buy
> it, and yet, I was able to resist the temptation.

> Which proved to be a rather wise decision, as my subsequent Googling
> eventually led me to Newegg <http://www.newegg.com>. The customer
> reviews of the WDH1CS10000N were fairly unflattering, there, with
> recurring compliants involving overheating, flakiness and general
> unreliability. (It received 3 out of 5 "eggs," overall.)

> Further searching (via both Google and eBay) uncovered the Samsung
> "Story Station" (HX-DU010EB). This 1TB baby is strictly USB 2.0, but,
> Newegg's reviewers gave it a very solid rating (4 eggs). Unlike its
> WD counterpart, the Samsung product seems to be much less glitzy and
> far more dependable.

> Additionally, it's currently $20 cheaper than the WDH1CS10000N, at
> Newegg ($99.99 vs $119.99).

> Therefore, I'll probably grab the HX-DU010EB, somewhere, after the
> upcoming Christmas/New Year's holidays.

I've been buying 1TB Samsung bare drives and using them in a docking
station for PVR overflow. Up to 5 now. Next will be a 1.5TB drive, better $/GB now.

Havent had a single failure and havent been cruel enough to drop one yet either.

From: Rod Speed on
John Turco wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> David Brown wrote:

> <edited for brevity>

Why do you only do that to mine ?

>>> while Win95 OSR2 and Win98SE were solid
>>> enough to use if you were reasonably careful.

>> They were solid enough to use even if you werent.

>> So was ME if you had even half a clue too.

> Albeit, I must admit that Windows Millennium did cause
> a few minor headaches, in my roughly 33 months of using
> it (before I replaced it with XP, in February of 2007).

> One such annoyance (which is well documented, on both Usenet and the
> WWW) was its refusal to shut down, gracefully...often, it would just "hang"
> there, thus forcing me to employ my computer's power or reset buttons.

You sure that wasnt SE ?

From: Rod Speed on
John Turco wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> John Turco wrote

> <heavily edited for brevity>

Why do you only have this in replys to my posts ?

>>> Now, regarding the subject of this thread (external hard drives). A
>>> couple of weeks ago, inside a local "warehouse club" store, I saw a
>>> Western Digital 1TB "My Book Home" (WDH1CS10000N), for approximately
>>> $110 USD. That thing had gaudy specifications (USB 2.0, FireWire and
>>> eSATA), at such an affordable price point. I was almost ready to buy
>>> it, and yet, I was able to resist the temptation.

>>> Which proved to be a rather wise decision, as my subsequent Googling
>>> eventually led me to Newegg <http://www.newegg.com>. The customer
>>> reviews of the WDH1CS10000N were fairly unflattering, there, with
>>> recurring compliants involving overheating, flakiness and general
>>> unreliability. (It received 3 out of 5 "eggs," overall.)

>>> Further searching (via both Google and eBay) uncovered the Samsung
>>> "Story Station" (HX-DU010EB). This 1TB baby is strictly USB 2.0,
>>> but, Newegg's reviewers gave it a very solid rating (4 eggs).
>>> Unlike its WD counterpart, the Samsung product seems to be much
>>> less glitzy and far more dependable.

>>> Additionally, it's currently $20 cheaper than the WDH1CS10000N, at
>>> Newegg ($99.99 vs $119.99).

>>> Therefore, I'll probably grab the HX-DU010EB, somewhere, after the
>>> upcoming Christmas/New Year's holidays.

>> I've been buying 1TB Samsung bare drives and using them in a docking
>> station for PVR overflow. Up to 5 now. Next will be a 1.5TB drive,
>> better $/GB now.

>> Havent had a single failure and havent been cruel enough to drop one yet either.

> Thinking about it further,

Dangerous business...

> it seems Samsung took a wise approach, by putting one of its cooler-running
> "EcoGreen" 5,400 drives, into the HX-DU010EB's USB-only enclosure;
> because, as you know, USB is the >real< bottleneck, anyway.

Yeah, been buying those myself too, just because they are the cheapest.

> On the other hand, Western Digital needed to use a 7,2000
> HDD, in the WDH1CS10000N case -- as the latter also features
> FireWire and eSATA, which are both faster connections.

My docking station supports eSATA too.

I dont care about the speed, I use them for PVR overflow.

> The hotter 7,2000 device accounts for the WDH1CS10000N's
> comparatively higher failure rate, most likely.

Yep, very likely.