From: Robert Nichols on
In article <SYadnRrrINwFCEPXnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote:
:
:Oh good. I remember NTFS was really bad under Linux. It had a buggy
:write option too in Kernel or something. I assume newer Mac OS X
:versions (ignoring 10.2.x) can do the same now?

The NTFS module in the Linux kernel is still just as you remember and
should not be used for writing. Kernel NTFS support been made pretty
much obsolete by the current user-space driver, ntfs-3g, which supports
everything except transparent compression and encryption (still
read-only for those). Wikipedia has a pretty good description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G

Once the ntfs-3g package for your distro has been installed, NTFS
works just like any other supported file system.

From: Robert Nichols on
In article <d9-dncJnZYMrgEPXnZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Ant <ANTant(a)zimage.com> wrote:
:
:There are two bad things. I hate its short USB cable. I assume I can use
:an USB extension cable without problems. Also, its warranty is only two
:years? No five years?

For devices that draw significant power from the USB port, the length of
cable you can use is quite limited. You should be able to get away with
using a short one, but keep it as short as possible.

IMO, the short warranty for these external drives comes largely from the
assumption that they are likely to receive rougher treatment than a
drive mounted in a heavier piece of equipment. For the higher-powered
3.5" drives, lack of fans is also an issue.

From: Ant on
On 10/22/2009 4:43 PM PT, Robert Nichols typed:

> In article <SYadnRrrINwFCEPXnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
> Ant <ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote:
> :
> :Oh good. I remember NTFS was really bad under Linux. It had a buggy
> :write option too in Kernel or something. I assume newer Mac OS X
> :versions (ignoring 10.2.x) can do the same now?
>
> The NTFS module in the Linux kernel is still just as you remember and
> should not be used for writing. Kernel NTFS support been made pretty
> much obsolete by the current user-space driver, ntfs-3g, which supports
> everything except transparent compression and encryption (still
> read-only for those). Wikipedia has a pretty good description:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G
>
> Once the ntfs-3g package for your distro has been installed, NTFS
> works just like any other supported file system.

Interesting. I didn't know there were more than one NTFS stuff in Linux.
It looks like I have it in my old Debian box:
$ locate ntfs-3g
/usr/lib/libntfs-3g.so.5
/usr/lib/libntfs-3g.so.5.0.0
/usr/share/doc/libntfs-3g5
/usr/share/doc/libntfs-3g5/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/libntfs-3g5/README
/usr/share/doc/libntfs-3g5/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/libntfs-3g5/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libntfs-3g5/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libntfs-3g5/copyright
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libntfs-3g13.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libntfs-3g13.postrm
--
"I'm not afraid of insects taking over the world, and you know why? It
would take about a million ants just to aim a gun at me, let alone fire
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Ant on
On 10/22/2009 4:55 PM PT, Robert Nichols typed:

> In article <d9-dncJnZYMrgEPXnZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
> Ant <ANTant(a)zimage.com> wrote:
> :
> :There are two bad things. I hate its short USB cable. I assume I can use
> :an USB extension cable without problems. Also, its warranty is only two
> :years? No five years?
>
> For devices that draw significant power from the USB port, the length of
> cable you can use is quite limited. You should be able to get away with
> using a short one, but keep it as short as possible.

What's the length limit? It's long enough from the bottom of the PC case
to the top of my desk. I dislike putting it on the floor.

> IMO, the short warranty for these external drives comes largely from the
> assumption that they are likely to receive rougher treatment than a
> drive mounted in a heavier piece of equipment. For the higher-powered
> 3.5" drives, lack of fans is also an issue.

Ah. I hope this 2.5" Seagate one has a fan. I don't hear or feel anything.
--
"Ant colonies are remarkably similar to cities. No one choreographs the
action, not even the queen ant, but ant behavior is controlled by swarm
From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Robert Nichols wrote
>> Ant <ANTant(a)zimage.com> wrote

>>> There are two bad things. I hate its short USB cable. I assume I can use an USB extension cable without problems.
>>> Also, its warranty is only two years? No five years?

>> For devices that draw significant power from the USB port, the
>> length of cable you can use is quite limited. You should be able to
>> get away with using a short one, but keep it as short as possible.

> What's the length limit?

There isnt any nice tidy limit with that.

> It's long enough from the bottom of the PC case to the top of my desk. I dislike putting it on the floor.

Thats fine.

>> IMO, the short warranty for these external drives comes largely from the assumption that they are likely to receive
>> rougher treatment than a drive mounted in a heavier piece of equipment. For the higher-powered 3.5" drives, lack of
>> fans is also an issue.

> Ah. I hope this 2.5" Seagate one has a fan.

None of the 2.5" drives do, they dont need one.

> I don't hear or feel anything.

Because there isnt one.