From: Herbert Kleebauer on
Frank Kotler wrote:
> Rod Pemberton wrote:
> > "Frank Kotler" <fbkotler(a)myfairpoint.net> wrote in message

> >> CLAX is definitely not dead!

> > The longer it takes, the more likely that "CLAX is dead" becomes true.
>
> Good point. AFAIK, the wheels are in motion. Shouldn't be too much
> longer... we hope!
>
> > In
> > the short term, so that CLAX doesn't loose critical mass, I'd recommend
> > unmoderating it - spam and all. It can be moderated again once the
> > technical and human issues are resolved.
>
> That would be an excellent plan, if it were practical to do. In the real
> world, what I understand would happen is that "the board" would send out
> a control message to the nntp servers to unmoderate clax. The nntp
> servers would ignore it... or not... at random. We would then have a
> situation where some messages would appear on some servers, other
> messages would appear on different servers, or not at all...

Didn't the same happen when the moderator email address was changed?
I suppose, every news server which accepted the new email address
will also accept the new moderator state. And a news server which
didn't update the email address can't be used for a posting to
clax, so it doesn't matter that it also doesn't update the moderator
state.

And somebody could periodically post an unapproved message with an
immediate approved reply to clax with a message like: If you
see the reply but not the original message contact your news
administrator or post the "Path:" line from the reply to clax
using Google so somebody else can contact the news administrators.

From: Nathan Baker on
"Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have(a)havenone.cmm> wrote in message
> "Frank Kotler" <fbkotler(a)myfairpoint.net> wrote in message
>>
>> CLAX is definitely
>> not dead!
>>

> The longer it takes, the more likely that "CLAX is dead" becomes true. In
> the short term, so that CLAX doesn't loose critical mass, I'd recommend
> unmoderating it - spam and all. It can be moderated again once the
> technical and human issues are resolved.

Patience is a virtue.

Although there are times I'd like to just walk away, I still believe that a
moderated CLAX is a valued asset that is worth the wait.

I have recently unpacked a shiny new gizmo. My Haitian Creole is a bit
rusty, but I think it reads "some assembly required" and "batteries not
included" on the side of the box. The parts are scattered all over the
kitchen floor, but I think I just need to make a few more trips to the
hardware store and some 'elbow greese' to make this here gizmo talk.

Thank you for your patience.

Nathan.