From: Nathan Baker on
Jim has officially abandoned the newsgroup. I am working on a solution to
bring it back from the ashes. Stay tuned...

Nathan.

From: Frank Kotler on
Nathan Baker wrote:
> Jim has officially abandoned the newsgroup.

That's putting it a little strongly. He's asked that someone else take
over the moderating chore. For those who don't know... Jim was forced
into a very sudden job-related move, and he's got a lot on his plate
right now. He left his computer running, and we were able to log in and
approve messages for a few days, but now it's not responding. I keep
trying it - maybe the housekeeper will come by and reboot it or
something... Think of it as a prolonged power-outage...

> I am working on a solution to
> bring it back from the ashes. Stay tuned...

Excellent! As I've explained to you guys, I'm not well-situated to do it
myself, but as a last resort, I'll give it a shot. CLAX is definitely
not dead! Lemme know if there's anything I can do to help!

Best,
Frank
From: Steve on
Frank Kotler <fbkotler(a)myfairpoint.net> writes:
>Nathan Baker wrote:
>> Jim has officially abandoned the newsgroup.

<Snip>

>> I am working on a solution to
>> bring it back from the ashes. Stay tuned...
>
>Excellent! As I've explained to you guys, I'm not well-situated to do it
>myself, but as a last resort, I'll give it a shot. CLAX is definitely
>not dead! Lemme know if there's anything I can do to help!
>
>Best,
>Frank

Hey,

Good luck, and thanks for the efforts all.

Regards,

Steve N.
From: Rod Pemberton on
"Frank Kotler" <fbkotler(a)myfairpoint.net> wrote in message

> CLAX is definitely
> not dead!

The longer it takes, the more likely that "CLAX is dead" becomes true. In
the short term, so that CLAX doesn't loose critical mass, I'd recommend
unmoderating it - spam and all. It can be moderated again once the
technical and human issues are resolved.

Rod Pemberton

From: Frank Kotler on
Rod Pemberton wrote:
> "Frank Kotler" <fbkotler(a)myfairpoint.net> wrote in message
>> CLAX is definitely
>> not dead!
>>

> The longer it takes, the more likely that "CLAX is dead" becomes true.

Good point. AFAIK, the wheels are in motion. Shouldn't be too much
longer... we hope!

> In
> the short term, so that CLAX doesn't loose critical mass, I'd recommend
> unmoderating it - spam and all. It can be moderated again once the
> technical and human issues are resolved.

That would be an excellent plan, if it were practical to do. In the real
world, what I understand would happen is that "the board" would send out
a control message to the nntp servers to unmoderate clax. The nntp
servers would ignore it... or not... at random. We would then have a
situation where some messages would appear on some servers, other
messages would appear on different servers, or not at all...

We had a similar situation when clax was first created. Note that it was
created anew as a moderated group - we ("they", I wasn't involved)
didn't (couldn't?) add a moderation flag to comp.lang.asm (the
"polluted" group). Some servers didn't carry the new group at all. If
they did, maybe they had the moderation flag set and maybe they didn't.
You'd see a message, reply to it, not see your reply... then see replies
to your reply... or replies to that... A real mess - took a lot of
correspondence between John Fine (I think) and "the board" and the
offending nntp servers before it was working right. At that, Chuck had
to post that "if you're having trouble posting" message periodically...

So for practical purposes, it is "impossible" to unmoderate clax.
Unfortunately. There's news:comp.lang.asm if you want an unmoderated
group - Nudds has gone away...

Best,
Frank