From: Doc Shenley on
What is my computer trying to tell me? After a normal POST it halts with
the message - CMOS checksum error, defaults loaded. Press F1 to continue or
Del enter Setup. If I press F1 it continues with o/s boot, or if I press
Del I can change the settings which are then accepted in a normal boot.

It could be a duff battery I suppose (hope!), but how could I tell, and what
else could it be?

From: Gary R. Schmidt on
Doc Shenley wrote:
[SNIP]
> because the default date set at bootup is 1 Jan 2002.
^^^^^^^^^Put in a new
battery, until this basic problem is fixed with a *new* battery all else
is a waste of time and effort.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

whether you were up them with or not
- Barry Humphries
From: Steve on
I had this problem and thought it was the battery, turned out to be a faulty
MB..... tell me your board is a winfast K8S760MG-6LRS???

Steve

From: Jacques Strap on
Doc Shenley wrote:
> What is my computer trying to tell me? After a normal POST it halts with
> the message - CMOS checksum error, defaults loaded. Press F1 to continue or
> Del enter Setup. If I press F1 it continues with o/s boot, or if I press
> Del I can change the settings which are then accepted in a normal boot.
>
> It could be a duff battery I suppose (hope!), but how could I tell, and what
> else could it be?

Definitely Battery. Depending on type can be any size battery from
5cent to 10cent piece size or can be a Dallas Clock/Battery Chip.

The lifetime of batts and dallas chips is 8-10 years. If 'puter is
this old, time to take a trip to the dump and pick up a better PC.