From: L.A.T. on
I have several ViPower Super Rack removable hard drive racks, all of which
can connect to the computer via either an IDE connector or a USB connector.
The USB cable is non-standard and is not supplied with the rack. The
computer end of the USB cable is standard, of course, but the end that plugs
into the rack itself plugs into a small keyed socket with five pins in a
straight line.
I can't get these cables and Jaycar can't tell me where to get them.
Does anyone know where they can be found?
Does anyone know which pin is which on the rack, so at the least I could cut
the end off a standard USB cable and solder an appropriate plug onto it?
Thanks again.

From: Gary R. Schmidt on
L.A.T. wrote:
> I have several ViPower Super Rack removable hard drive racks, all of which
> can connect to the computer via either an IDE connector or a USB connector.
> The USB cable is non-standard and is not supplied with the rack. The
> computer end of the USB cable is standard, of course, but the end that plugs
> into the rack itself plugs into a small keyed socket with five pins in a
> straight line.
> I can't get these cables and Jaycar can't tell me where to get them.
> Does anyone know where they can be found?
> Does anyone know which pin is which on the rack, so at the least I could cut
> the end off a standard USB cable and solder an appropriate plug onto it?
> Thanks again.

Why not contact them directly?
<http://www.vipower.com.tw>

Cheers,
Gary B-)
From: L.A.T. on

"Gary R. Schmidt" <grschmidt(a)acm.org> wrote in message
> L.A.T. wrote:
>> I have several ViPower Super Rack removable hard drive racks, all of
>> which
>> can connect to the computer via either an IDE connector or a USB
>> connector.
>> The USB cable is non-standard and is not supplied with the rack. The
>> computer end of the USB cable is standard, of course, but the end that
>> plugs
>> into the rack itself plugs into a small keyed socket with five pins in a
>> straight line.
>> I can't get these cables and Jaycar can't tell me where to get them.
>> Does anyone know where they can be found?
>> Does anyone know which pin is which on the rack, so at the least I could
>> cut
>> the end off a standard USB cable and solder an appropriate plug onto it?
>> Thanks again.
>>
> Why not contact them directly?
> <http://www.vipower.com.tw>
>
> Cheers,
> Gary B-)
Good idea. I have just done so.

From: Fred on
L.A.T. wrote:
> I have several ViPower Super Rack removable hard drive racks, all of
> which can connect to the computer via either an IDE connector or a
> USB connector. The USB cable is non-standard and is not supplied with
> the rack. The computer end of the USB cable is standard, of course,
> but the end that plugs into the rack itself plugs into a small keyed
> socket with five pins in a straight line.
> I can't get these cables and Jaycar can't tell me where to get them.
> Does anyone know where they can be found?
> Does anyone know which pin is which on the rack, so at the least I
> could cut the end off a standard USB cable and solder an appropriate
> plug onto it? Thanks again.

I don't know if this applies to you but I just had a look at their Q&A which
seems to indicate that the connector is for attachment of their own
accessories only.
http://www.vipower.com.tw/QA.htm

Q: Can I connect USB signals to the USB connector on the rear of
SuperRACK to control my HDD?

A: The 5-pin USB port on the rear of the VP-10 (SuperRACK) series is
designed to lead system USB signals into the mobile rack only. It allows you
to use other Vipower USB accessories (VP-15USB2 for instance) with the
mobile rack, but CAN NOT support your IDE HDD via USB connection directly.
Q: Is there any ViPowER mobile rack supports true USB connection?

A: If you want to use your HDD via USB interface, ViPowER have three
solutions to meet your needs.

1. VP-15USB2 -- This inner tray is designed to replace the regular
inner tray of Vipower SuperRACK and has a built-in IDE-to-USB 2.0
controller. It also comes with the special USB cable for the 5-pin connector
of your SuperRACK, so you can convert your SuperRACK into true USB mobile
rack.

2. VP-1528LSF -- The combination of regular SuperRACK out frame and
VP-15USB2 inner tray.

3. VP-1028LSF -- This state of the art mobile rack has a built-in
IDE-to-USB 2.0 controller on the out frame for high-speed USB connection.
Unlike VP-1528 and VP-15USB2, the VP-1028LSF allows you to connect regular
inner trays of VP-10 series to it and convert the IDE signals into USB ones.

From: L.A.T. on

"Fred" <bluser(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> L.A.T. wrote:
>> I have several ViPower Super Rack removable hard drive racks, all of
>> which can connect to the computer via either an IDE connector or a
>> USB connector. The USB cable is non-standard and is not supplied with
>> the rack. The computer end of the USB cable is standard, of course,
>> but the end that plugs into the rack itself plugs into a small keyed
>> socket with five pins in a straight line.
>> I can't get these cables and Jaycar can't tell me where to get them.
>> Does anyone know where they can be found?
>> Does anyone know which pin is which on the rack, so at the least I
>> could cut the end off a standard USB cable and solder an appropriate
>> plug onto it? Thanks again.
>
> I don't know if this applies to you but I just had a look at their Q&A
> which
> seems to indicate that the connector is for attachment of their own
> accessories only.
> http://www.vipower.com.tw/QA.htm
>
> Q: Can I connect USB signals to the USB connector on the rear of
> SuperRACK to control my HDD?
>
> A: The 5-pin USB port on the rear of the VP-10 (SuperRACK) series is
> designed to lead system USB signals into the mobile rack only. It allows
> you
> to use other Vipower USB accessories (VP-15USB2 for instance) with the
> mobile rack, but CAN NOT support your IDE HDD via USB connection directly.
> Q: Is there any ViPowER mobile rack supports true USB connection?
>
> A: If you want to use your HDD via USB interface, ViPowER have three
> solutions to meet your needs.
>
> 1. VP-15USB2 -- This inner tray is designed to replace the regular
> inner tray of Vipower SuperRACK and has a built-in IDE-to-USB 2.0
> controller. It also comes with the special USB cable for the 5-pin
> connector
> of your SuperRACK, so you can convert your SuperRACK into true USB mobile
> rack.
>
> 2. VP-1528LSF -- The combination of regular SuperRACK out frame and
> VP-15USB2 inner tray.
>
> 3. VP-1028LSF -- This state of the art mobile rack has a built-in
> IDE-to-USB 2.0 controller on the out frame for high-speed USB connection.
> Unlike VP-1528 and VP-15USB2, the VP-1028LSF allows you to connect regular
> inner trays of VP-10 series to it and convert the IDE signals into USB
> ones.

Thanks for that.
The little instruction book mentions fourteen different models, all called
IDE/USB.
I thought I had a device that did what the number 3 above does: converts USB
to IDE and back.
The five pins from the USB socket in fact go nowhere and there is no
circuitry associated with it.
I have no complaint: no-one except the instruction manual ever claimed
otherwise and it is obviously a general-purpose, multi-model instruction
book.