From: Paul on
On 2009-09-16 11:46:04 -0500, Michael Wojcik <mwojcik(a)newsguy.com> said:

> Paul wrote:
>>
>> There is room to debate, but the vast majority of computer cycles today are
>> spent in client/server processing. That is really hard to argue against.
>
> No, it's easy to argue against. There are orders of magnitude more
> embedded CPUs than general-purpose CPUs. They have lower clock rates,
> but those clocks add up. Add in scientific number crunching, with
> fewer systems but vastly more ops per second, and general-purpose
> computing is already out of the lead. (Just take a look at the ratings
> listed on top500.org.) Add in cellphones, and wave goodbye to
> client/server processing as it disappears behind you.

I think you are taking one view and defending it against all comes Michael.
What you say is only true from one - rather narrow - viewpoint.

Take cell phones for instance - how many of them just make phone calls
and nothing else? Certainly my cell phone also handles text messages, e-mail,
an array of tools like alarm clocks and so forth, web browsing, and so forth.
Is this "traditional processing" or "client server?"

I suppose it could be argued as both. Or as something entirely different,
but I would argue that client-server comes far closer than traditional "general
purpose" computing. Real-time, client interaction, multi-processing,
using one or
more remote servers to provide control and data. <shrug>

It sure ain't traditional batch processing.

> The only way to support the claim that client/server processing
> represents a majority of compute cycles is to broaden the definition
> to absurdity and call things like MPP and cellphone traffic
> "client/server". At that point the term is no longer useful. You might
> as well claim the embedded CPU in a USB keyboard is a client and the
> PC it's attached to is a server, and say that's client/server as well.

Well, isn't it? Would you rather call it a master/slave controller
relationship?
Can the keyboard work or operate without being attached in some way to
a PC or other controller?

This is probably a case where proliferation has outstripped the technical
vocabulary. We need new ways to describe it.

This is of course, why I originally said there was room for discussion about
it. There is just no precise language that defines it.

-Paul

From: Paul on
On 2009-09-16 21:20:44 -0500, "tlmfru" <lacey(a)mts.net> said:

> Those of us that have been around for a while know what a plastic term
> "client-server" is. When it first came in I wrote to a number of I/T
> publications urging them to require that if an author used the term, s/he
> should define it as well. (None of 'em did, more's the pity.) One author
> gave as an example of a client-server success a company that sorted its
> warehouse picking slips to bin number sequence! Obviously Paul, the person
> to whom you're replying, needs to specify his meaning.
>
> PL
>

> Michael Wojcik <mwojcik(a)newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> The only way to support the claim that client/server processing
>> represents a majority of compute cycles is to broaden the definition
>> to absurdity and call things like MPP and cellphone traffic
>> "client/server". At that point the term is no longer useful. You might
>> as well claim the embedded CPU in a USB keyboard is a client and the
>> PC it's attached to is a server, and say that's client/server as well.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Wojcik
>> Micro Focus
>> Rhetoric & Writing, Michigan State University

Yep- I certainly should have, and you are correct. The whole problem
is that we are all proably saying just about the same thing, but in not
agreeing on the terminology. I clarified what I said to a limited degree
in a previous post.

-Paul

From: Paul on
On 2009-09-16 11:40:25 -0500, Michael Wojcik <mwojcik(a)newsguy.com> said:

>> "interesting" is a completely subjective perspective. You think email is not
>> interesting as a technology; I find it fascinating, and dealing with it on
>> web based applications is challenging and satisfying.
>
> I didn't say email wasn't interesting; I said it wasn't an interesting
> example of client/server computing. It existed long before anyone
> thought to coin the term "client/server computing", because even
> though the usual email architecture (MUA / MTA) involves clients and
> servers, there's nothing striking or innovative about that. It's the
> arrangement that's obvious to any experienced practitioner.
>
> "Client/server computing" became a buzzword only when that
> architecture began appearing in applications where it wasn't the most
> obvious arrangement - applications that could easily be monolithic.
> Email isn't one of those applications.
>
> Consequently, email doesn't mark any sort of paradigm shift to
> client/server computing, and so it doesn't support any claims about
> the importance of client/server computing as an idea.

You are not helping to clarify what you mean with bits of inverted and
convoluted logic like this.

E-mail was certainly one of the first client/server applications that entered
in the general awareness of people. Decades ago. And believe me,
when it was developed and first started being used, it was striking,
innovative,
*and totally non obvious to most users*. I was there. :)

The same is true of the dozens and dozens of client/server applications,
tools, and protocols that followed.

What you are defining as client/server computing appears to be a narrow
definition constructed to support your point of view. Understand, your
point of view is quite valid, but only from a limited and arbitrarily chosen
viewpoint.

How about stretching those mental muscles a bit?

-Paul

From: Kelly Bert Manning on

http://www.freebyte.com/programming/cobol/#freecobolcompilers
http://www.opencobol.org
From: Robert Doerfler on

> http://www.opencobol.org

OpenCobol brought us Unix/BSD-Users through the database lectures at
university last year. Our database prof loves to start the lecture's
first semester with AcuCobol :/

--
Greetings,

Robert