From: Ken on
On Sep 17, 7:45 pm, Paul <paul-nospamatall.rauler...(a)mac.com> wrote:
> On 2009-09-16 11:40:25 -0500, Michael Wojcik <mwoj...(a)newsguy.com> said:
>
> E-mail was certainly one of the first client/server applications that entered
> in the general awareness of people. Decades ago.  And believe me,
> when it was developed and first started being used, it was striking,
> innovative,
> *and totally non obvious to most users*. I was there. :)

Silly me. I thought that E-mail originated as a "store-and-forward"
application. That's why they called it "mail", right? Just like the
USPS still does today with their paper letters - collect them, store
them, sort them, and forward them.

Wasn't the first widespread "electronic transport" for E-mail the uucp
(unix-to-unix copy program, I believe it is) protocol? Didn't uucp pre-
date TCP/IP and Arpanet?

Store-and-forward seems to me to be much more closely aligned to
Michael's peer-to-peer than client/server. Who was the client and who
was the server on Usenet?

Remarkable that Michael is getting such resistance when the very Forum
that we are using has a Usenet legacy; Usenet discussion groups
likewise were originally store-and-forward.

For those old enuf or dumb enuf to care. :-)

And for those who bothered to notice I've been MIA...

Yeah, posters here are entirely missing the point on where the
software cycles are! I've been watching satellite TV and working up
my home theatre system. Anybody else spent $3000-$5000 on video
elecronics lately? Just what _processors_ are in those components!
Sheesh! Surely enough to rival the auto electronics.

Seems peer-to-peer to me - oh wait! Maybe the satellite is the server,
and the DirecTV receiver is the client! Or maybe the BluRay DVD
player is the server and the remote clicker is the client? Or is it X-
Windows type of client/server "inversion" whereby the TV is the
Display Server and the VHS player is the application client???

I'm soooooooo confused!

That's why I'm doing a computer paradigm shift to electronic
synthesizers and MIDI. Enough of ya'll arguing about what Antoine de
St. Exupery would aurely say are matters of no consequence.

Ken

P.S. Didja miss me DD? It is so comforting to me to read CLC after a
hiatus and see that the more things change the more they stay the
same.

From: Pete Dashwood on
Ken wrote:
> On Sep 17, 7:45 pm, Paul <paul-nospamatall.rauler...(a)mac.com> wrote:
>> On 2009-09-16 11:40:25 -0500, Michael Wojcik <mwoj...(a)newsguy.com>
>> said:

<snip>
> Yeah, posters here are entirely missing the point on where the
> software cycles are! I've been watching satellite TV and working up
> my home theatre system.

Yeah, me too. (Not satellite or SKY, though... no need. I get 139 channels
from 32 countries directly off the internet. My SONY Vaio (soon to be
retired, when it will become a full time entertainment centre, providing
TiVO like facilities, connects directly on a HDMI port to my LCD TV.). The
Vaio has an internal HDMI drive and an external BluRay (which I have used
maybe 3 times...). Digital TV will be arriving in NZ in the next 5 years or
so but you can buy satellite dishes and set top boxes for services like
SKYand Freeview right now. I can't see the point if I can pull it off the
internet for a very moderate one-time charge. (Less than the SKY or Freeview
installation cost, never mind the monthly fees for SKY.)

I have a fourteen speaker Dolby 5.2 (very unobtrusive; most of my friends
don't even know they are there) surround sound system, which I built myself
for a cost of $NZ100. It gives superb full surround for movies etc.,
however, I don't have remote control for it so it must be switched on
manually. :-))

Anybody else spent $3000-$5000 on video
> elecronics lately?

My total replacement value, includng the written down TV (it is 3 years old
now) and Vaio driving it, is around $NZ2000 ($US1492.00 funny, that... :-))
on today's exchange rate.

Just what _processors_ are in those components!

Mine is dual core Intel Centrino Duo :-)

I like to recycle old computers into other uses. I have a Windows 98 Pentium
3 which drives my LAN printer and will become a PABX when I get the time...
:-) It also handles NAS and all the LAN backups are driven through it. The
people at Seagate (Malaysia) told me it was not possible to drive their
drive with Windows 98; funny, it has been working perfectly for over a year
now (I did have to do some driver "tweaking" when I set it up). I think we
just discard stuff because we get blinded by what is "newer! better!" and
forget that hardware still functions and has capabiliites it always had, no
matter what the new software is doing. I do have some notebooks which are
packed away in storage and it bugs me that I don't use them. I kind of
justify it by thinking of them as "living archives" to a time when things
were arguably simpler (although I have no desire to go back to 16 bit COBOL
on DOS 3.2).

At least the Vaio (appropriately running XP Media Edition), which has served
me very well for just over 3 years now, will serve a very useful full-time
purpose when it is retired in February.

<snip>>

Pete.

From: Richard on
On Oct 21, 9:48 am, Ken <klsha...(a)att.net> wrote:
> On Sep 17, 7:45 pm, Paul <paul-nospamatall.rauler...(a)mac.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2009-09-16 11:40:25 -0500, Michael Wojcik <mwoj...(a)newsguy.com> said:
>
> > E-mail was certainly one of the first client/server applications that entered
> > in the general awareness of people. Decades ago.  And believe me,
> > when it was developed and first started being used, it was striking,
> > innovative,
> > *and totally non obvious to most users*. I was there. :)
>
> Silly me. I thought that E-mail originated as a "store-and-forward"
> application. That's why they called it "mail", right? Just like the
> USPS still does today with their paper letters - collect them, store
> them, sort them, and forward them.
>
> Wasn't the first widespread "electronic transport" for E-mail the uucp
> (unix-to-unix copy program, I believe it is) protocol? Didn't uucp pre-
> date TCP/IP and Arpanet?
>
> Store-and-forward seems to me to be much more closely aligned to
> Michael's peer-to-peer than client/server. Who was the client and who
> was the server on Usenet?

My first emails certainly were server/server with no 'client' at all.
A dumb terminal and a 300 baud modem (later I had 1200/75) connected
me and everything ran on the server.

I later had my own server still using a dumb terminal (I still have an
ADM-3a somewhere around here) and used uucp to collect and distribute.

From: Clark F Morris on
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:48:39 -0700 (PDT), Ken <klshafer(a)att.net>
wrote:

>On Sep 17, 7:45�pm, Paul <paul-nospamatall.rauler...(a)mac.com> wrote:
>> On 2009-09-16 11:40:25 -0500, Michael Wojcik <mwoj...(a)newsguy.com> said:
>>
>> E-mail was certainly one of the first client/server applications that entered
>> in the general awareness of people. Decades ago. �And believe me,
>> when it was developed and first started being used, it was striking,
>> innovative,
>> *and totally non obvious to most users*. I was there. :)
>>

>Silly me. I thought that E-mail originated as a "store-and-forward"
>application. That's why they called it "mail", right? Just like the
>USPS still does today with their paper letters - collect them, store
>them, sort them, and forward them.
>
>Wasn't the first widespread "electronic transport" for E-mail the uucp
>(unix-to-unix copy program, I believe it is) protocol? Didn't uucp pre-
>date TCP/IP and Arpanet?

IBM's internal network and BITNET under the various IBM spoolers also
did e-mail and this was at least in the 1980's if not the 1970's.

From: Anonymous on
In article <22c48c85-188c-4ebe-a8ce-7e2de48c7a68(a)m13g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
Ken <klshafer(a)att.net> wrote:

[snip]

>P.S. Didja miss me DD?

I ain't paid to keep your timesheets, Mr Shafer... but it is pleasant to
be informed that you're in good enough health to attempt the Technical
Marvels you've described.

(since most of the television I watch is Old, Bad Movies - in
black-and-white, with dead people in them - I've missed out on the
delights you've described... but last year I finally purchased a
videocassette recorder)

>It is so comforting to me to read CLC after a
>hiatus and see that the more things change the more they stay the
>same.

I truss you didn't need surgery for that hiatal.

(note to non-native English speakers: a joke explained is a joke lost)

DD