From: Paul on
On 2009-09-26 16:36:21 -0500, bo774(a)FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Kelly Bert
Manning) said:

> Paul (paul-nospamatall.raulerson(a)mac.com) writes:
>> I absolutely hate it when Pete's prognostications come true, but COBOL
>> is becoming near impossible to get and use on mainstream (i.e. Windows
>> and Linux) platforms.
>
> http://www.freebyte.com/programming/cobol/#freecobolcompilers
> http://www.opencobol.org

Thank you Kelly - that is a great link. But I do not think that any of
those are
quite suitable for commercial applications, at least not in my opinion. YMMV.

-Paul

From: William M. Klein on
COBOL-IT is a "for commercial" off-shoot of OpenCOBOL. Check out:
http://www.cobol-it.com/

I can't speak to how "successful" it is in meeting its published goals, but it
is a possibility.

Check out:
http://www.cobol-it.com/

PerCOBOL from LegacyJ is another possibility. See:
http://www.legacyj.com/lgcyj_perc1.html

For IBM mainframe shops, an "upcoming" possibility is zCOBOL (not there YET, but
getting closer). See:
http://www.zcobol.org/

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: Paul on
On 2009-09-28 04:17:03 -0500, "William M. Klein"
<wmklein(a)nospam.ix.netcom.com> said:

> COBOL-IT is a "for commercial" off-shoot of OpenCOBOL. Check out:
> http://www.cobol-it.com/
>
> I can't speak to how "successful" it is in meeting its published goals, but it
> is a possibility.
>
> Check out:
> http://www.cobol-it.com/

I could not find any advantage to this over stock OpenCOBOL, and stock
OpenCOBOL
just isn't quite there yet. Needs things like embedded SQL first, then
I expect it to start
putting a serious bite on MicroFocus. Things Linux and AT&T System V Unix. :)

> PerCOBOL from LegacyJ is another possibility. See:
> http://www.legacyj.com/lgcyj_perc1.html

PerCOBOL is great. Indeed, this is a really good COBOL/Java Hybrid, and I will
be watching them in the future. :)

From: William M. Klein on
The advantages (personal opinion only) of COBOL-IT over OpenCOBOL (for the
NON-"open source guru")

A) (per your comment) does have embedded SQL support
B) has an interactive debugger
C) (for production support) has OPTIONAL (paid for) production (COBOL compiler)
support
D) "easy" to install and use for "Windows-type" person (who doesn't know
Unix/Linux or C)

* * * * *

Major disadvantage (for some) is that it is not a "truly open source" ongoing
"group" project. I *think* that OC has more "ongoing development" going on
(especially with the Add1toCOBOL group).

From: Paul on
Why, so it does! I stand corrected, and will look t it again. Thanks.
-Paul

On 2009-09-28 23:06:32 -0500, "William M. Klein"