From: Botticeli on
I use an HP 515, Pentium 4, 512 MB, with extra memory I added to
handle heavy duty audio programs (music), and XP.

After I moved many files (manually) to an external hard drive
(Passport 500gig), the performance of the computer is very slow. I
used to have 3 or four programs open at the same time and now with one
the CPU usage is almost at 100%.

I have no problem with the music program (although it takes more time
to open), and recording and playback are fine.

But some other programs (web makers) make the performance very slow.
It seems to me that anything relating to web stuff is slower (my
server is the same, the same high speed stuff, and the other computers
at home are working fine, and better than mine, even though they are
small laptops)

I have an antivirus (Vipre), and scan for viruses every morning.

Any suggestions or diagnostics you may have are very welcome.

Thanks in advance:

Botticelli

From: Botticeli on
On May 21, 12:39 pm, Botticeli <jesusjacq...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I use an HP 515, Pentium 4, 512 MB, with extra memory I added to
> handle heavy duty audio programs (music), and XP.
>
> After I moved many files (manually) to an external hard drive
> (Passport 500gig), the performance of the computer is very slow. I
> used to have 3 or four programs open at the same time and now with one
> the CPU usage is almost at 100%.
>
> I have no problem with the music program (although it takes more time
> to open), and recording and playback are fine.
>
> But some other programs (web makers) make the performance very slow.
> It seems to me that anything relating to web stuff is slower (my
> server is the same, the same high speed stuff, and the other computers
> at home are working fine, and better than mine, even though they are
> small laptops)
>
> I have an antivirus (Vipre), and scan for viruses every morning.
>
> Any suggestions or diagnostics you may have are very welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance:
>
> Botticelli

I just found the problem! If I disconnect both external hard drives (I
have 2 usb passport 500gig) the resources are back to normal and the
CPU usage is low again!

I thought these Passport drives were 'pasive', but apparently they
work in the background.

I just connect them when I have to save to them... and that's it!

I wonder if there is a way of disable and enable, easier than the
actual connecting.

Thanks

Botticelli
From: Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries on
Botticeli wrote:
> On May 21, 12:39 pm, Botticeli <jesusjacq...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I use an HP 515, Pentium 4, 512 MB, with extra memory I added to
>> handle heavy duty audio programs (music), and XP.
>>
>> After I moved many files (manually) to an external hard drive
>> (Passport 500gig), the performance of the computer is very slow.
>> I used to have 3 or four programs open at the same time and now
>> with one the CPU usage is almost at 100%.
>>
>> I have no problem with the music program (although it takes more
>> time to open), and recording and playback are fine.
>>
>> But some other programs (web makers) make the performance very
>> slow. It seems to me that anything relating to web stuff is
>> slower (my server is the same, the same high speed stuff, and
>> the other computers at home are working fine, and better than
>> mine, even though they are small laptops)
>>
>> I have an antivirus (Vipre), and scan for viruses every morning.
>>
>> Any suggestions or diagnostics you may have are very welcome.
>>
>> Thanks in advance:
>>
>> Botticelli
>
> I just found the problem! If I disconnect both external hard
> drives (I have 2 usb passport 500gig) the resources are back to
> normal and the CPU usage is low again!
>
> I thought these Passport drives were 'pasive', but apparently
> they work in the background.
>
> I just connect them when I have to save to them... and that's it!
>
> I wonder if there is a way of disable and enable, easier than the
> actual connecting.
>
> Thanks
>
> Botticelli

Perhaps you should check each drive to see if the Indexing Service is turned
on.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to
be taken seriously. Hubert H. Humphrey

From: Gualtier Malde on
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote:
> Botticeli wrote:
>> On May 21, 12:39 pm, Botticeli <jesusjacq...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I use an HP 515, Pentium 4, 512 MB, with extra memory I added to
>>> handle heavy duty audio programs (music), and XP.
>>>
>>> After I moved many files (manually) to an external hard drive
>>> (Passport 500gig), the performance of the computer is very slow.
>>> I used to have 3 or four programs open at the same time and now
>>> with one the CPU usage is almost at 100%.
>>>
>>> I have no problem with the music program (although it takes more
>>> time to open), and recording and playback are fine.
>>>
>>> But some other programs (web makers) make the performance very
>>> slow. It seems to me that anything relating to web stuff is
>>> slower (my server is the same, the same high speed stuff, and
>>> the other computers at home are working fine, and better than
>>> mine, even though they are small laptops)
>>>
>>> I have an antivirus (Vipre), and scan for viruses every morning.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions or diagnostics you may have are very welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance:
>>>
>>> Botticelli
>> I just found the problem! If I disconnect both external hard
>> drives (I have 2 usb passport 500gig) the resources are back to
>> normal and the CPU usage is low again!
>>
>> I thought these Passport drives were 'pasive', but apparently
>> they work in the background.
>>
>> I just connect them when I have to save to them... and that's it!
>>
>> I wonder if there is a way of disable and enable, easier than the
>> actual connecting.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Botticelli
>
> Perhaps you should check each drive to see if the Indexing Service is turned
> on.

I looked around and can't find where to turn on Indexing Service. I think that
not having that on is also making my Search difficult - I am a new XP user.
Would you tell me where the option is? Thanks
From: Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries on
Gualtier Malde wrote:
> Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote:
>> Botticeli wrote:

>>> I just found the problem! If I disconnect both external hard
>>> drives (I have 2 usb passport 500gig) the resources are back to
>>> normal and the CPU usage is low again!
>>>
>>> I thought these Passport drives were 'pasive', but apparently
>>> they work in the background.
>>>
>>> I just connect them when I have to save to them... and that's
>>> it! I wonder if there is a way of disable and enable, easier than
>>> the actual connecting.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Botticelli
>>
>> Perhaps you should check each drive to see if the Indexing
>> Service is turned on.
>>
> I looked around and can't find where to turn on Indexing Service.
> I think that not having that on is also making my Search
> difficult - I am a new XP user. Would you tell me where the
> option is? Thanks

Right click the drive, choose "Properties." There's a box at the bottom that
needs to be unticked.