From: Practical on

"Practical" <practicalroot(a)example.com> wrote in message

> "Dr.Deb" <debsmail(a)mon-cre.net> wrote in message
>> Practical wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I wonder if this is relevant here but since I have installed CUPS on
>>> Linux, I wish to know if multiple printers can be added to the same
>>> machine which already has one printer running on CUPS. If yes, how can I
>>> keep track of stationery usage and logs for each printer.
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> As you print you will have a choice of which printer to use. Depending
>> on
>> the program doing the printing, you either can, or cannot, select the
>> number
>> of pages to print
>>
>> Deb
>
> Thank you all for the replies.

Well, I am having difficulty installing a Canon LBP6300dn printer as there
are no drivers for it. I googled for PPD file but couldn't find anything
relevant hence tried with some old files available online. If I select the
Canon printer option I do not see the model that I have listed therein. The
Canon printer is currently installed on a Windows machine. Also, I do not
understand why does CUPS install any printer without any error but when it
actually comes to priting, it does not print?
Thank you in advance.

Regards....

From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 21 July 2010 08:38 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
Practical wrote...

> "Practical" <practicalroot(a)example.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dr.Deb" <debsmail(a)mon-cre.net> wrote in message

>>> As you print you will have a choice of which printer to use.
>>> Depending on the program doing the printing, you either can, or
>>> cannot, select the number of pages to print
>>
>> Thank you all for the replies.
>
> Well, I am having difficulty installing a Canon LBP6300dn printer as
> there are no drivers for it.

The odds to that are rather huge, yes. Canon is one of those brands who
have chosen not to support GNU/Linux.

Some of their printers /could/ be made to work on the condition that
they support emulation of another, GNU/Linux-supported printer type.
Alas, those are rare and few, and most Canon devices are Windows-only,
which is why Canon is a brand of which it is advised to avoid them like
the plague if you're running GNU/Linux.

> I googled for PPD file but couldn't find anything relevant hence tried
> with some old files available online. If I select the Canon printer
> option I do not see the model that I have listed therein.

No surprise there.

> The Canon printer is currently installed on a Windows machine.

It'll work there, because Canon supports Microsoft Windows. It won't
work with GNU/Linux.

> Also, I do not understand why does CUPS install any printer without
> any error but when it actually comes to priting, it does not print?
> Thank you in advance.

There could be lots of reasons as to why a printer would not print. I'm
afraid that your information in this matter is too vague for anyone to
be able to help you.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: NMR User on
On 21/07/10 07:38, Practical wrote:

> Well, I am having difficulty installing a Canon LBP6300dn printer as there
> are no drivers for it. I googled for PPD file but couldn't find anything
> relevant hence tried with some old files available online. If I select the
> Canon printer option I do not see the model that I have listed therein. The
> Canon printer is currently installed on a Windows machine. Also, I do not
> understand why does CUPS install any printer without any error but when it
> actually comes to priting, it does not print?
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards....

The current CAPT driver does support that printer, you can get it from:

wget http://codebin.cotescu.com/canon/lbp_driver/CanonCAPTdriver.tar.gz

and run the script (after extracting) with:

sudo ./canonLBP_install.sh PRINTER_MODEL

From: unruh on
On 2010-07-21, Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 July 2010 08:38 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
> Practical wrote...
>
>> "Practical" <practicalroot(a)example.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Dr.Deb" <debsmail(a)mon-cre.net> wrote in message

>>> Thank you all for the replies.
>>
>> Well, I am having difficulty installing a Canon LBP6300dn printer as
>> there are no drivers for it.
>
> The odds to that are rather huge, yes. Canon is one of those brands who
> have chosen not to support GNU/Linux.

However, cups is now Apple, and the question is if OSX supports that
printer. If it does you should be able to get it working.

> Some of their printers /could/ be made to work on the condition that
> they support emulation of another, GNU/Linux-supported printer type.
> Alas, those are rare and few, and most Canon devices are Windows-only,
> which is why Canon is a brand of which it is advised to avoid them like
> the plague if you're running GNU/Linux.
>
>> I googled for PPD file but couldn't find anything relevant hence tried
>> with some old files available online. If I select the Canon printer
>> option I do not see the model that I have listed therein.
>
> No surprise there.
>
>> The Canon printer is currently installed on a Windows machine.
>
> It'll work there, because Canon supports Microsoft Windows. It won't
> work with GNU/Linux.
>
>> Also, I do not understand why does CUPS install any printer without
>> any error but when it actually comes to priting, it does not print?
>> Thank you in advance.
>
> There could be lots of reasons as to why a printer would not print. I'm
> afraid that your information in this matter is too vague for anyone to
> be able to help you.

/var/log/cups has various files. Look at them to get an inkling as to
why the printer is not printing.

From: mjt on

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#canon

--