From: mjt on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:11:23 +0000 (UTC)
jellybean stonerfish <stonerfish(a)geocities.com> wrote:

> > help you install Canon CAPT Printer Driver 2.00 for Debian-based
> > Linux systems using the 64-bit OS architecture.

> You got an error when the script tried to install libstdc++6, so try
> installing libstdc++6 and libstc++6.dev, (names may be a bit
> different, I don't have centos to check) with yum, then run the
> script again. Or look at the script and see what other packages are
> required and add them before running the script. You may be able to
> walk through the script, and change it to use yum, or follow the
> script, but do everything manually. The script may just check for
> dependencies, and then copy a couple of files to the proper location.

The one potential drawback is the "Debian installer script"
may install the files to "unknown locations", i.e., CentOS
may store printer-related files in some other subdirectory
than where Debian does.

--
Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #37:
Q: Did he pick the dog up by the ears?

From: Practical on
On Friday 23 July 2010 05:00 AM, mjt wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:11:23 +0000 (UTC)
> jellybean stonerfish<stonerfish(a)geocities.com> wrote:
>
>>> help you install Canon CAPT Printer Driver 2.00 for Debian-based
>>> Linux systems using the 64-bit OS architecture.
>
>> You got an error when the script tried to install libstdc++6, so try
>> installing libstdc++6 and libstc++6.dev, (names may be a bit
>> different, I don't have centos to check) with yum, then run the
>> script again. Or look at the script and see what other packages are
>> required and add them before running the script. You may be able to
>> walk through the script, and change it to use yum, or follow the
>> script, but do everything manually. The script may just check for
>> dependencies, and then copy a couple of files to the proper location.
>
> The one potential drawback is the "Debian installer script"
> may install the files to "unknown locations", i.e., CentOS
> may store printer-related files in some other subdirectory
> than where Debian does.

Thank you all for the replies. I uninstalled Centos and now installed
the latest Ubuntu desktop edition.
Now the following happens.

Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
Modifying the default /etc/init.d/ccpd file...
Restarting CUPS...
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
[ OK ]
Setting the printer for CUPS...
Setting the printer for CAPT...
/usr/sbin/ccpdadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libcups.so.2:
Setting CAPT to boot with the system...
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/ccpd missing LSB information
update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/ccpd already exist.
Starting ccpd...
* Starting Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS: ccpd
/usr/sbin/ccpd: error while loading shared libraries:
libcups.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[fail]
Checking status:
Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS: ccpd:

Power on your printer! :)
Go to System - Administration - Printing and do the following:
1. disable LBP6300dn-2 but do not delete it since Ubuntu will
recreate it automatically;
2. set LBP6300dn as your default printer;
3. reboot your machine and print a test page.
Script author:
Radu Cotescu
http://radu.cotescu.com

---- Apparently the lipscups.so.2 file cannot be found and Googling the
file for latest Ubuntu proved futile.
Also, following the last 3 steps listed above simply vanishes the
installed printer.
Thank you again.....

Regards....
From: Practical on

From: mjt on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:47:06 +0530
Practical <root(a)example.com> wrote:

> Thank you all for the replies. I uninstalled Centos and now installed

Why uninstall? Just create another partition for
the other distro and multi-boot. That way, if you
want to do something back in CentOS, you can simply
boot into it at will.

> libcups.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

I show libcups.so.2 to be in a package named "cups-libs"

--
I have discovered the art of deceiving diplomats. I tell them
the truth and they never believe me. - Camillo Di Cavour