From: bob on
On 5/31/2010 8:48 AM, DanielleOM wrote:

> I was wondering what systems people here use to store cables so that
> they do not get tangled. I am thinking microphone cables and instrument
> cable approximately 25' long.
>
> A friend of mine always leaves a piece of rope tied around one end of
> the cable.
>
> I was putting each cable in a plastic bag. Worked well until I started
> using more cables. Takes time to open the bags and get the cable in there.
>
> I am thinking of using velcro ties that can be left on the cable.
>

> Thanks
>
> Danielle

One would be an over/under cable wrap.
There are company's that make special Velcro that has a slit
that will permanently attach to the cable so it won't fall off.

If your in the entertainment community, tie line is commonly used
for many purposes. You can use a piece of tie line and tie it on
to one end of the cable permanently, then its there when you need
to tie up the coil

you can also use a loose knot on the mike cables. Some people use this
some people cringe at it. I do it all the time with no ill effects.

bob

From: Steve M on
"DanielleOM" wrote
> I am thinking of using velcro ties that can be left on the cable.

I've been using velcro straps for decades. Funny thing is that the
idea of velcro straps came to me long before anyone began making them
for wrapping cables. Wish I'd jumped on that one.

Someone else spoke of using a reel. Many large sound companies use
exactly that when there's a whole buttload of cables to deal with.

Tie line for cables (or tape) is a nuisance.
Velcro, aka "hook n loop", cable wraps come a wide variety of lengths
and types. A little Google searching will turn up many sources.

--
Steve McQ

From: bob on
On 5/31/2010 2:59 PM, Steve M wrote:
> "DanielleOM" wrote
>> I am thinking of using velcro ties that can be left on the cable.
>>

> I've been using velcro straps for decades. Funny thing is that the
> idea of velcro straps came to me long before anyone began making them
> for wrapping cables. Wish I'd jumped on that one.
>
> Someone else spoke of using a reel. Many large sound companies use
> exactly that when there's a whole buttload of cables to deal with.
>
> Tie line for cables (or tape) is a nuisance.
> Velcro, aka "hook n loop", cable wraps come a wide variety of lengths
> and types. A little Google searching will turn up many sources.
>
> --
> Steve McQ

Virtually NON of the big touring sound companies i see in the sound
world use the Velcro. You might see some in video world.

Some tape (not my favorite). some you just wrap and put in the caddy.
NO ONE uses a reel for anything other than long runs of fiber optic
cable or such.

Tie line is common in the theater world and there is usually tons of
it laying round after a theater gig. recycling at its best.
its more common on larger cables than mike cables. If its loose, tie a
clove around it and your good to go. Maybe on both sides if it a big
heavy pile

Bottom line is what ever works for you...

bob
From: DanielleOM on
bob wrote:
> On 5/31/2010 2:59 PM, Steve M wrote:
>> "DanielleOM" wrote
>>> I am thinking of using velcro ties that can be left on the cable.
>>>

>> I've been using velcro straps for decades. Funny thing is that the
>> idea of velcro straps came to me long before anyone began making them
>> for wrapping cables. Wish I'd jumped on that one.
>>
>> Someone else spoke of using a reel. Many large sound companies use
>> exactly that when there's a whole buttload of cables to deal with.
>>
>> Tie line for cables (or tape) is a nuisance.
>> Velcro, aka "hook n loop", cable wraps come a wide variety of lengths
>> and types. A little Google searching will turn up many sources.
>>
>> --
>> Steve McQ
>>

> Virtually NON of the big touring sound companies i see in the sound
> world use the Velcro. You might see some in video world.
>
> Some tape (not my favorite). some you just wrap and put in the caddy.
> NO ONE uses a reel for anything other than long runs of fiber optic
> cable or such.
>
> Tie line is common in the theater world and there is usually tons of
> it laying round after a theater gig. recycling at its best.
> its more common on larger cables than mike cables. If its loose, tie a
> clove around it and your good to go. Maybe on both sides if it a big
> heavy pile
>

> Bottom line is what ever works for you...
>
> bob

I think my friend that uses the tie line / rope said she started doing it
after doing theatre work.

Danielle

From: Denny Strauser on
DanielleOM wrote:
> I was wondering what systems people here use to store cables so that
> they do not get tangled. I am thinking microphone cables and instrument
> cable approximately 25' long.
> A friend of mine always leaves a piece of rope tied around one end of
> the cable.
> I was putting each cable in a plastic bag. Worked well until I started
> using more cables. Takes time to open the bags and get the cable in there.
> I am thinking of using velcro ties that can be left on the cable.

I prefer just tying a knot in the cable. I can tie a knot in the cable
much faster than using tie line or Velcro, and when unwrapped it is
neater. I can unwrap the cable faster with just a simple knot. And,
Velcro makes it hard to pull a cable through a bunch of cables run on
stage.

- Denny
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5