From: bob on
On 6/1/2010 3:24 AM, Denny Strauser wrote:
> Denny Strauser wrote:
>> DanielleOM wrote:
> <snipped>
>
>>> Here's a spec with minimum bending radius referenced.
>>> http://mtron.spprod.com/country/3/external/pdf/pg_0302_HK09_int_UNITRONIC_MICROPHONE_BK.pdf
>>>
>>> In this case they reference 5 X the cable diameter as the minimum
>>> bending radius.
>>
>> OK .... So explain to me exactly what this has to do on how one should
>> wrap cables.
>>
>> I'd really like to hear Phil Allison's opinion on this.
>>
>> I'm wearing my FLAME RETARDANT SUIT .... LOL
>
> If you can wrap a cable less than 5X the cable diameter, you are more
> anal than myself, and might very well cause cable damage over long-time
> use. But, it would be fun to watch ....
>
> No disrespect intended, but sick sense of humor cannot be avoided.
>
> AND I'd still like to hear Phil's input on this .....
>
> -Denny

The biggest issues with cables would be with something like cat 5 cables
that has smaller twisted solid pairs inside. I would NEVER knot one of
those. Same with Video coax. Putting that knot in the ought is out too
(00 feeder) ;)

bob

From: Arny Krueger on
"PeterD" <peter2(a)hipson.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 07:41:22 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
> <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote:
>
>> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
>> message
>>
>>> for your needs the roll of them that Loews sells for 5$
>>> would be sufficent, there are 50 of them I believe
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> The Official name is "Velcro One Wrap Cable Ties", which
>> some may find helpful since there are many kinds of
>> Velcro cable ties.
>>
>> These are relatively cheap, available in several
>> lengths, and amazingly durable.
>>
>> Sample online source: http://www.textol.com/t_ties.asp
>>

> The only problem I have with (most) velcro is that when
> it gets wet it has little or no holding power! <g> Fine
> for everything but damp outdoor locations where the
> cables, hands and everything gets damp (from dew
> sometimes...)

Never had the problem. My wife uses them for tying up tomato bushes
outdoors. I just took one, soaked it, and it was maybe a little less grippy,
but not much.

From: Ron on
On 01/06/2010 11:34, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> "Denny Strauser"<dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> DanielleOM wrote:

>>> How do tie a knot in the cable and keep within manufacturer's guidelines
>>> for minimum radius? Was this a tongue in cheek suggestion?
>>
>> This was a serious reply. I have no idea what you mean by mfg guidelines
>> of minimum radius. I just know that in 30 years as a sound engineer, I
>> HATE tie-line& Velcro. If I work with a sound company that insists on
>> this time-consuming way of tying cables, I might conform, if I have the
>> time, but my preferred way is to tie a simple knot in the cable itself,
>> with very short ends. I am extremely anal about wrapping cables. I've had
>> dozens of interns& assistants,& I almost NEVER let anyone help wrap
>> cables. When I do, it takes me double the time to wire the stage for the
>> next show.
>>
>> If you don't believe me, just ask George Gleason, a regular on this News
>> Group. I've worked a number of shows for his sound company,& one of the
>> first things I do when working his shows is to re-wrap all the cables I'll
>> be using for the festivals. Not only that, but I'll separate them&
>> organize them by type of cable.
>>
>> George? Do I speak the truth?
>> LMAO ....
>> We might not agree on a bunch of things, but am I anal, or what?
>> And, do I get the job done quick& effectively?
>>
>> - Denny
>
> yes denny likesthings his way, and in the end he is the guy I hire and he
> gets to have things the way he wants them, myself, I perfer velco wraps

We are all anal about our cables, or we should be!

One disadvantage with velcro ties is the way they can all bunch up at
the stage box end, making pulling cables a pain. I spose you could put
the ties at the female end but that looks a bit messy (IMO)

Almost all of the lager PA companies I`ve worked with have used the time
honoured method of a quick single loop of pvc tape.

I saw an interesting reusable cable wrapping doodah on YouTube, a sort
of clip with a mini bungee afair, but for the life of me I can`t find it
again. Possible something connected with Dave Rat?

Interestingly, I`ve only once seen anyone using the over under method
and he was a leftpondian. I`ve tried it, find it awkward and if you
unwrap from the wrong end, daisy chain time!

I guess we all do it our own way

Ron (anal in the UK)
From: Ron on
On 01/06/2010 14:07, Arny Krueger wrote:
> "PeterD"<peter2(a)hipson.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 07:41:22 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
>> <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "George's Pro Sound Co."<bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message

>>> +1.
>>>
>>> The Official name is "Velcro One Wrap Cable Ties", which
>>> some may find helpful since there are many kinds of
>>> Velcro cable ties.
>>>
>>> These are relatively cheap, available in several
>>> lengths, and amazingly durable.
>>>
>>> Sample online source: http://www.textol.com/t_ties.asp
>>>

>> The only problem I have with (most) velcro is that when
>> it gets wet it has little or no holding power!<g> Fine
>> for everything but damp outdoor locations where the
>> cables, hands and everything gets damp (from dew
>> sometimes...)
>
> Never had the problem. My wife uses them for tying up tomato bushes
> outdoors. I just took one, soaked it, and it was maybe a little less grippy,
> but not much.

The stuff which loses it`s grip when wet must be very low quality 'hook
& loop fastener' as opposed to real Velcro, after all, it's used on foul
weather clothing, emergency medical equipment, camping gear, etc.

Ron(UK)
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: 5 seconds of fame... indy 500