Prev: CHECK BOX
Next: amizade
From: Dennis on
Hi,

I'm using Access via XP Office Pro on Windows 2007.

Tables:
tblWorkOrder – contains all the parent level information for the work order
/ invoice
Key – WorkOrder – automatically assigned number
Work order data

tblWorkOrderDet – contains all the child / transaction level information for
the work order.
Key: WorkOrderSeqNo – this is an automatically assigned keky
Data: WorkOrder

There are four transaction types contained in this table:
1. Comments on the work done on this work order.
2. Labor charges Quantity (Hours) * Rate
3. Part charges Quantity * Price per (Rate) + Shipping + Tax
4. Expense Quantity (miles) * Rate

Background:
I am working on an invoice report. The report has the main report and a
sub-report. The report is grouped by invoice / work order number. I have a
group heading called WOHeader and a group footing called WOFooter.

The main report's row source is the tblWorkOrder table. The sub-report's
row source is tblWorkOrderDet.

The sub-report contains the following fields:
txtTransDate, txtWorkDesc (which is built using multiple fields),
txtQuantity, txtRate, txtTaxAmt, txtShipping, and txtTotAmtDue (=txtQuantity
* txtRate). I want to total the tax amt and shipping and show them on the
bottom of the invoice. They are currently hidden fields.

I understand that I need to have hidden “Running Sum” text boxes on the
group heading for the three amounts (total due, tax, shipping). The visible
boxes for these amounts are in the group footing.

I've read the forum discussion entitled Referencing sub-report fields on
main report:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=sub-report+variable&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.access.reports&p=1&tid=2928e41c-db3a-43c0-a03d-01389ddddec1

Question:
I trying following the instructions in that discussion to calculate the
following totals in WOHeader:
1. Total amount due (Quantity * rate).
2. Total Shipping
3. Total Tax.

Let's just talk about the first field because once I get that one working, I
can get the other fields.

In the WOHeader, I have a text box called txtWOHAmtDue. It's control source
is:
=rptInvoice_srDet.Report!txtAmtDue
And it's Running Sum property is set to Over group. For debugging, this box
is visible.

When I run my test, I have an invoice with three labor transactions. The
Total Amt due for each transaction is:

1. $45.00
2. $11.25
3. $ 0.00

The total in my txtWOHAmtDue is $45, not the expected 55.25. It appears to
only be including the total from the first deail.

What am I doing wrong?

Dennis
From: Marshall Barton on
Dennis wrote:
>I�m using Access via XP Office Pro on Windows 2007.
>
>Tables:
>tblWorkOrder � contains all the parent level information for the work order
>/ invoice
>Key � WorkOrder � automatically assigned number
>Work order data
>

>tblWorkOrderDet � contains all the child / transaction level information for
>the work order.
>Key: WorkOrderSeqNo � this is an automatically assigned keky
>Data: WorkOrder
>
>There are four transaction types contained in this table:
>1. Comments on the work done on this work order.
>2. Labor charges Quantity (Hours) * Rate
>3. Part charges Quantity * Price per (Rate) + Shipping + Tax
>4. Expense Quantity (miles) * Rate
>
>Background:
>I am working on an invoice report. The report has the main report and a
>sub-report. The report is grouped by invoice / work order number. I have a
>group heading called WOHeader and a group footing called WOFooter.
>
>The main report�s row source is the tblWorkOrder table. The sub-report�s
>row source is tblWorkOrderDet.
>
>The sub-report contains the following fields:
>txtTransDate, txtWorkDesc (which is built using multiple fields),
>txtQuantity, txtRate, txtTaxAmt, txtShipping, and txtTotAmtDue (=txtQuantity
>* txtRate). I want to total the tax amt and shipping and show them on the
>bottom of the invoice. They are currently hidden fields.
>
>I understand that I need to have hidden �Running Sum� text boxes on the
>group heading for the three amounts (total due, tax, shipping). The visible
>boxes for these amounts are in the group footing.
>
>I�ve read the forum discussion entitled Referencing sub-report fields on
>main report:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=sub-report+variable&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.access.reports&p=1&tid=2928e41c-db3a-43c0-a03d-01389ddddec1
>

>Question:
>I trying following the instructions in that discussion to calculate the
>following totals in WOHeader:
>1. Total amount due (Quantity * rate).
>2. Total Shipping
>3. Total Tax.
>
>Let�s just talk about the first field because once I get that one working, I
>can get the other fields.
>
>In the WOHeader, I have a text box called txtWOHAmtDue. It�s control source
>is:
>=rptInvoice_srDet.Report!txtAmtDue
>And it�s Running Sum property is set to Over group. For debugging, this box
>is visible.
>
>When I run my test, I have an invoice with three labor transactions. The
>Total Amt due for each transaction is:
>
>1. $45.00
>2. $11.25
>3. $ 0.00
>
>The total in my txtWOHAmtDue is $45, not the expected 55.25. It appears to
>only be including the total from the first deail.

A runningsum is unknown until the end of the group so the
header only sees the first line of the running sum. That
was the end of the discussion in earlier(?) versions of
Access, In later versions the group header can refer to a
total in the group footer. So, first put the total you want
in the group footer and then the group header can refer to
that total.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
From: Dennis on
Marshall,

Your comment: So, first put the total you want in the group footer and then
the group header can refer to that total.

My response: Ok, I tried that and it did not work

my subreport name is rptInvoice_srDet
The name of the control on the sub-report is txtAmtDue.
Note: txtAmtDue source = (Quantity & Rate)

The control on the footer is: txtWOFLaborAmt
The source =rptInvoice_srDet.Report!txtAmtDue
Format = Currency
Decimal Places = 2
Running sum = Over Group.

The first line txtAmtDue control is 45.00
The second line txtAmtDue control is 11.25
The third line txtAmtDue control 0.00
When I run the invoice, the amount in txtWOFLaborAmt = 0

Any suggestions?

Dennis
From: Dennis on
Marshall,

I just need a total in the group footing. I just put it in the header
because that is what one discussion suggested.

I also tried putting a sum amount in the footer of the sumform. I could not
get that to work either.

Dennis

From: Marshall Barton on
Dennis wrote:
>I just need a total in the group footing. I just put it in the header
>because that is what one discussion suggested.
>
>I also tried putting a sum amount in the footer of the sumform. I could not
>get that to work either.

You need a subreport report footer) text box (named
txtTotal) with an expression like:
=Sum(Quantity * Rate)

Then a main report rext box in the same section as the
subreport can use the expression:
=rptInvoice_srDet.Report!txtTotal
or, as I prefer:
=rptInvoice_srDet.Report.Report.txtTotal

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
 |  Next  |  Last