From: Cholo Lennon on
Eddie Paz wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
> How do I call a web service from an MFC application? This is something
> I'd like to do without bringing .NET into the picture, if possible.
>
> Thanks in advanced for any pointers.

As Giovanni has told you I would recommend you gSoap. AFAIK is the most
used C/C++ web service library. I use it at work with a great level of
satisfaction.

http://gsoap2.sourceforge.net/

Regards

--
Cholo Lennon
Bs.As.
From: Eddie Paz on
Goran" <goran.pusic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 23, 9:20 am, "Eddie Paz" <drp...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi fellows,
>>
>> How do I call a web service from an MFC application? This is something
>> I'd
>> like to do without bringing .NET into the picture, if possible.
>>
>> Thanks in advanced for any pointers.
>
> I don't know of WebServices library for MFC specifically, but I think
> that Apache Axis has C++ implementation.
>
> BTW, it's a strange demand, that, not to bring .NET in. It's simple
> with .NET, so why are you making your life complicated?
>
> Finally, I don't know your context, but I'd consider writing a COM
> server (probably an *.exe) in .NET, that would call out from the web
> service. That way, you can have an easy interface on MFC side (you
> define what that is), easy life on the WebService client side, and if
> you go with the *.exe, a good process isolation. But the price is a
> more complicated executable module structure; 2 modules instead of 1).
>
> Goran.

Thanks for the info. I realize that this would be easy in .NET. VC.NET will
make it even easier, but we currently don't have support from the network
guys to deploy .NET to 500+ PCs -- we still run Windows 2000 clients, and we
use Netware/Zen for Updates. It's not pretty, but we got to work with it.

I'll check out Axis and see it'll work for us. Thanks!

Eddie.

From: Eddie Paz on
"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message
> On 23/06/2010 09:20, Eddie Paz wrote:
>
>> How do I call a web service from an MFC application? This is something
>> I'd like to do without bringing .NET into the picture, if possible.
>
> There is a C library called WWSAPI (Windows Web Services API):
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd430435(VS.85).aspx
>
> You can find an interesting article here:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee335693.aspx
>
> The problem is that it is complicated (and expensive...) to get the WWSAPI
> binaries for Windows XP (instead, this API is included in Win7).
>
> As an alternative, there is the open-source gSOAP:
>
> http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~engelen/soap.html
>

> HTH,
> Giovanni

Thanks for the links, Giovanni. The WWSAPI looks good, but unfortunately our
clients are Windows 2000. gSOAP looks just like what I need, but I don't
much about the OS license. The software is for internal use of the
company... I don't know if that makes it commercial. I'll check with them
but definitely looks promising. Thanks!

Eddie.

From: Eddie Paz on
"Bogdan Jokel" <bjokel(a)company.com> wrote in message
> The simples method might be to use sproxy.exe that comes with
> ATLServerLibrary. It generates all the necessary code for you - just
> point it to a WSDL or a given Web service URL.
> VS2003 (and possibly 2005) had it built in. ATLServerLibrary is no longer
> packaged with VS so you need to download it separately.
>
> sproxy generates a C++ class whose methods map one-to-one to methods of a
> service at a given URL. It can't be simpler that this.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> "Eddie Paz" <drpazz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi fellows,
>>
>> How do I call a web service from an MFC application? This is something
>> I'd like to do without bringing .NET into the picture, if possible.
>>
>> Thanks in advanced for any pointers.

Nice. I found it in VS2005, which is what we use. It seems to be based on
ATL Project, which I believe MS discontinued some time back (they even made
it open source, if I recall correctly).

The web service is written in Java, but returns XML. Hopefully this works
with Java WS. Thanks!

From: Eddie Paz on
"bharath_r" <bharath.0523(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 23, 12:20 pm, "Eddie Paz" <drp...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi fellows,
>>
>> How do I call a web service from an MFC application? This is something
>> I'd
>> like to do without bringing .NET into the picture, if possible.
>>
>> Thanks in advanced for any pointers.
>
> You can use the WinHTTP library to call webservices from MFC
> application.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384081

I must admit I don't know much about web services, but I can't find anything
on the site about how to do it with this API. Do you have a link you can
share?