From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Savageduck <savageduck1@{removespam}me.com> wrote:
> On 2010-04-06 15:42:07 -0700, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> said:
>> In rec.photo.digital John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>>> Or carry some zip ties around and strap the camera to any handy post,
>>> rail, tree branch, or other stabile fixture or object. Be sure to
>>> bring along cutters, a pocket knife, or, particularly in
>>> higher-security situations, fingernail clippers. :)
>>
>> Wouldn't it be a lot easier to carry some ball bungees and string?

> A roll of gaffer tape.

> ...and a team of equipment bearers.

I can easily carry some ball bungees, string, and a small roll of
gaffer tape in my camera bag or pockets, and often do. No need for an
assistant to help me carry it. Of course if you can afford a team you
don't even need to carry your camera.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: J. Clarke on
On 4/7/2010 9:37 AM, Chris Malcolm wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital Savageduck<savageduck1@{removespam}me.com> wrote:

>>> Wouldn't it be a lot easier to carry some ball bungees and string?
>
>> A roll of gaffer tape.
>
>> ...and a team of equipment bearers.
>
> I can easily carry some ball bungees, string, and a small roll of
> gaffer tape in my camera bag or pockets, and often do. No need for an
> assistant to help me carry it. Of course if you can afford a team you
> don't even need to carry your camera.

Just bolt it to the stabilized main gun on your Abrams and pray that you
never have to shoot anything.

From: Mulperi on

"John A." <john(a)nowhere.invalid> kirjoitti
viestiss�:jpmpr5t669guhmibvvk36srane7bfbfjbj(a)4ax.com...
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:11:01 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

>>> I can easily carry some ball bungees, string, and a small roll of
>>> gaffer tape in my camera bag or pockets, and often do. No need for an
>>> assistant to help me carry it. Of course if you can afford a team you
>>> don't even need to carry your camera.
>>
>>Just bolt it to the stabilized main gun on your Abrams and pray that you
>>never have to shoot anything.
>
> Does the Abrams have shoot-in-focus?
But how about Gorilla pods which you can hang in many different places:
http://joby.com/gorillapod

From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

> On 4/7/2010 9:37 AM, Chris Malcolm wrote:
>> In rec.photo.digital Savageduck<savageduck1@{removespam}me.com> wrote:

>>> A roll of gaffer tape.
>>
>>> ...and a team of equipment bearers.
>>
>> I can easily carry some ball bungees, string, and a small roll of
>> gaffer tape in my camera bag or pockets, and often do. No need for an
>> assistant to help me carry it. Of course if you can afford a team you
>> don't even need to carry your camera.
>
> Just bolt it to the stabilized main gun on your Abrams and pray that you
> never have to shoot anything.
Or use this tripod,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44148682(a)N02/4502155083/
complete with MG3 machine gun, extra barrel and a box of 7.62 mm ball ammo.
Taken with a disposable camera, and scanned with my Lexmark all-in -one
F4270. This tripod is very stable, and has very precise adjustment, with
marked angles setting, and quick release IIRC.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: Bruce on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 23:14:23 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>> They have been in existence for years, using gyroscopes. The main
>> problem, besides pricing, is the weight, including power supply.
>>
>> http://www.ken-lab.com/stabilizers.html
>>
>> Many years ago I actually tried on for a few weeks. I thought the weight
>> was a major problem.
>
>Yeah those look useful, but only if you really need it. I've heard of
>using them for shooting stills or video from an airplane. Hauling a car
>battery around is a problem though for other applications. OTOH, it
>could be worth running a long extension cord around a garden and not
>that much hassle... except for the price, as mentioned...
>
>I would expect the technology to improve over time though, for anything
>like that. Stabilized lenses are an example; by just applying the gyro
>to one piece of glass rather than the whole camera and lens. Or some new
>kind of compact battery would help a lot.

I have a friend who uses one of these $849 devices to stablise his
Canon EOS 5D Mark II for video shooting:

http://www.steadicam.com/handheldmerlin.html

I tried it for stills but only shot a few frames and the results - in
bright sunlight - were inconclusive. The images would have been sharp
without it.

I think Steadicam was an originator of gyro-stabilised camera
platforms.