From: Ohmster on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in

> Start the gpm service, thats the one for mouse support for your
> console. You may need to install gpm, but should work with "yum
> install gpm".
>
> There are two things which can be done when it comes to the font size,
> you can choose to boot into another screen resolution, see the vga
> kernel boot option.
>
> Another thing that can be done is to use another font than the default
> for the console, I don't remember which file did have that in RedHat
> based distros.

Wow, a full fledged Fedora 12 system, finally got the dammed nvidia
driver installed and compiz works great! I did upgrade gmd and made sure
it was running but I don't get a mouse in console (runlevel 3) mode. That
is where I really miss and need it.

I want to use this Soundblaster AWE64 card and I installed awesfx but the
system is not seeing any sound hardware, at least not from any xwindow
tool. Is there a consol tool I can use to setup or test the card? One
dude got his working but I am not sure of what he is saying, see if you
understand, would you please Aho?

> Putting anything related to OSS into your system's config files is
> silly. OSS has been deprecated for as long as the 2.6 kernels have
> been in use (FC2, I believe.) The AWE32 is SB16 compatible, so as long
> as the kernel has ISA and SB16 support in ALSA, it should work. It
> might also need isapnp support.

The awe32 and 64 has more features to use than a plain jane SB...
it still has it's own module, separate and apart from SB.
here's my alsa settings:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe

....it is not a SoundBlaster.

I still use these entries for OSS

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

which, according to the alsa doc, sets up the awe32/64 mixer which is
specific for the board and works well... it's in the awe32utils package
which is still available for this wonderful old card and still in the
latest kernels. So, you can retract your remark about silly... just to
keep the peace. I see no need to dumb down my card to a SB16. Ric

Any idea of what he is talking about?

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Ohmster on
Jasen Betts <jasen(a)xnet.co.nz> wrote in

> You can install the package "svgatextmode" which will let you change
> to a different text raster size sync rate etc, and load different
> fonts. svgatextmode uses a config file not entirely unlike the old
> XF86Config which lists a bunch of sets of settings for different
> modes.

Thank you, that is good to know. I managed to get nice sized fonts in the
console by editing the vga line in grub.conf.

From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:
> "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in
>
>> Start the gpm service, thats the one for mouse support for your
>> console. You may need to install gpm, but should work with "yum
>> install gpm".
>>
>> There are two things which can be done when it comes to the font size,
>> you can choose to boot into another screen resolution, see the vga
>> kernel boot option.
>>
>> Another thing that can be done is to use another font than the default
>> for the console, I don't remember which file did have that in RedHat
>> based distros.
>
> Wow, a full fledged Fedora 12 system, finally got the dammed nvidia
> driver installed and compiz works great! I did upgrade gmd and made sure
> it was running but I don't get a mouse in console (runlevel 3) mode. That
> is where I really miss and need it.

Check the gpm settings, may not be configured to the mouse you are using.
I tend to disable/uninstall gpm, so I don't know so much about it.

> I want to use this Soundblaster AWE64 card and I installed awesfx but the
> system is not seeing any sound hardware, at least not from any xwindow
> tool. Is there a consol tool I can use to setup or test the card? One
> dude got his working but I am not sure of what he is saying, see if you
> understand, would you please Aho?

Have you tried alsaconf?
Don't forget that you need to unmute channels before you get the audio, this
is for some reason default for alsa to have muted audio.

>> Putting anything related to OSS into your system's config files is
>> silly. OSS has been deprecated for as long as the 2.6 kernels have
>> been in use (FC2, I believe.) The AWE32 is SB16 compatible, so as long
>> as the kernel has ISA and SB16 support in ALSA, it should work. It
>> might also need isapnp support.
>>

> The awe32 and 64 has more features to use than a plain jane SB...
> it still has it's own module, separate and apart from SB.
> here's my alsa settings:
>
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe
>
> ...it is not a SoundBlaster.
>
> I still use these entries for OSS
>
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>
> which, according to the alsa doc, sets up the awe32/64 mixer which is
> specific for the board and works well... it's in the awe32utils package
> which is still available for this wonderful old card and still in the
> latest kernels. So, you can retract your remark about silly... just to
> keep the peace. I see no need to dumb down my card to a SB16. Ric

> Any idea of what he is talking about?

It's about the /etc/modules.d/alsa (or maybe they too have changed to
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf), this is kind of what alsaconf does for you.

--

//Aho
From: Java Jive on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:34:51 -0600, Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid>
wrote:

> > Putting anything related to OSS into your system's config files is
> > silly. OSS has been deprecated for as long as the 2.6 kernels have
> > been in use (FC2, I believe.) The AWE32 is SB16 compatible, so as long
> > as the kernel has ISA and SB16 support in ALSA, it should work. It
> > might also need isapnp support.

Sounds about right to me. IIRC (this is going back a few years) OSS
is indeed a deprecated standard, which was replaced by ALSA. Isapnp
sounds familiar too.

> The awe32 and 64 has more features to use than a plain jane SB...
> it still has it's own module, separate and apart from SB.

As the post is dated 2006, it seems strange that this guy doesn't seem
to be aware of the SB Live PCI, which out-specs the AWE64.

AWE64:
http://infohost.nmt.edu/~kscott/audio/ct4390/awe64gold.pdf

SB Live:
http://www.3dss.com/reviews/Live/Live.html

Consequently, his putting a downer on 'plain jane SBs' seems barely
relevant since I don't think there have been many, perhaps even any,
plain SBs since the AWE32 was launched, and certainly none since the
SB Live, which itself has been around since '98!

> here's my alsa settings:
>
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe

Can't remember enough to comment on these, except that IIRC alias
links a 'virtual' or logical device to a handler, driver, or physical
device. Thus, after the first of these statements has been executed,
output that would previously have gone to the device char-major-116
instead will be sent to snd.

> ...it is not a SoundBlaster.

Weell, it is really.

> I still use these entries for OSS
>
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

These being for the deprecated OSS system can be ignored.

> which, according to the alsa doc

Doubtless to be found somewhere here ...
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/

.... but you might do better to look here first:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Alsa-sound.html#toc1

> sets up the awe32/64 mixer which is
> specific for the board and works well... it's in the awe32utils package
> which is still available for this wonderful old card and still in the
> latest kernels. So, you can retract your remark about silly... just to
> keep the peace. I see no need to dumb down my card to a SB16. Ric

> Any idea of what he is talking about?

From the apparent lack of proper quoting in the original post, It's
difficult to say who is saying what, but I'd say at least one guy was
talking at least some nonsense. It sounds as though he's hopelessly
out of date, as he's using a deprecated sound standard and is unaware
of a card that when he appears to have been writing is already 8 years
old.

I'm sorry I can't remember any more, but if it helps any, here's the
contents of an old modules.conf of mine (synthgm.sbk is a sound bank
file which ISTR should be somewhere on the AWE64 CD):

# Sound modules

# ALSA section
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe

# snd-sbawe section - Creative SB64AWE Gold
# options sb-awe isapnp=0
options sb-awe port=0x220 irq=10 dma8=1 dma16=5 mpu_port=0x330
fm_port=0x388 awe_port=0x620 seq_ports=3
post-install snd-seq-oss /usr/bin/asfxload /opt/synthgm.sbk

# OSS/Free section
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# Pre-ALSA Drivers
# alias sound-slot-0 sb
# alias sound-service-0-1 awe_wave
# post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /opt/synthgm.sbk
# post-install awe_wave /usr/bin/asfxload /opt/synthgm.sbk

# 3Com 3c509 Netcard
alias eth0 3c509
options 3c509=0x230,7
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 18 January 2010 04:58 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
Ohmster wrote...

> Jasen Betts <jasen(a)xnet.co.nz> wrote in
>
>> You can install the package "svgatextmode" which will let you change
>> to a different text raster size sync rate etc, and load different
>> fonts. svgatextmode uses a config file not entirely unlike the old
>> XF86Config which lists a bunch of sets of settings for different
>> modes.
>
> Thank you, that is good to know. I managed to get nice sized fonts in
> the console by editing the vga line in grub.conf.

The "vga=" line in the bootloader configuration will let you select from
a number of preset resolutions and color depths, but if you need a
different vertical refresh frequency than the typical 60 Hz - i.e. for
a CRT monitor, it is advised to use something around 85 Hz for reduced
eyestrain and monitor wear - then you should take a look at
the "video=" boot parameter.

This is a kernel parameter pertaining to the built-in framebuffer -
usually /vesafb/ - and is to be included on the kernel commandline in
GRUB or in the "append" section for the kernel stanza in LILO.

See the kernel documentation (and your monitor's manual) for details on
how to set the best frequency and resolution.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)