From: Yousuf Khan on
Just purchased a new motherboard/chipset and processor for my desktop.
Haven't switched them out yet, waiting to see what preparations I need
to take on Ubuntu before going for it? I'll be keeping the existing hard
drives and video card, as is.

Yousuf Khan
From: Ignoramus25756 on
On 2010-01-16, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just purchased a new motherboard/chipset and processor for my desktop.
> Haven't switched them out yet, waiting to see what preparations I need
> to take on Ubuntu before going for it? I'll be keeping the existing hard
> drives and video card, as is.

It should work without you doing anything to the OS. It is supposed to
and always did so for me.

Just in case, I would back up your data and save the fstab file
somewhere.

From: Steve Urbach on
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:03:35 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Just purchased a new motherboard/chipset and processor for my desktop.
>Haven't switched them out yet, waiting to see what preparations I need
>to take on Ubuntu before going for it? I'll be keeping the existing hard
>drives and video card, as is.
>
> Yousuf Khan
It probably will work :)
If your old rig was... really Old, there might have been /work-around's/ set
that are less efficient than what you would see with a fresh install.
That is what I find amazing about Ubuntu.. It mostly just works
whereas Windows mostly does not work without lots of futzing with drivers.
YMMV
From: J.O. Aho on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Just purchased a new motherboard/chipset and processor for my desktop.
> Haven't switched them out yet, waiting to see what preparations I need
> to take on Ubuntu before going for it? I'll be keeping the existing hard
> drives and video card, as is.

As ubuntu uses uuid to mount, moving hard drivers shouldn't cause any problems
(except if you use onboard raid).

As you don't change graphics card, it shouldn't cause any problem even if you
use closed source drivers from AMD or nVidia.

Most of todays distribution (really since RH6), has managed to load the right
drivers as long as they are part of the drivers compiled by default by your
distribution.

--

//Aho
From: Mick on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Just purchased a new motherboard/chipset and processor for my desktop.
> Haven't switched them out yet, waiting to see what preparations I need
> to take on Ubuntu before going for it? I'll be keeping the existing hard
> drives and video card, as is.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Depends what you are upgrading from & to

From 32 bit to 64 bit would probably go better backing up and
reinstalling.