From: J.O. Aho on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> J.O. Aho wrote:
>> Most of todays distribution (really since RH6), has managed to load
>> the right
>> drivers as long as they are part of the drivers compiled by default by
>> your
>> distribution.
>
> So all supported drivers should already be present on the hard drive
> when it starts scanning the new hardware?

As long as your new motherboard don't use some exotic hardware which don't
have a Linux driver which is part of the kernel, the driver should be there,
at least if you use a somewhat recent distribution version.

I do suggest you disable the onboard AMD graphics card, the closed source
nVidia driver may disable features like CUDA/PhysX, but that may not be an
issue with a 8600.
If you want to use the onboard graphics too, you are more or less better off
using VESA driver (not sure the ati/radeon driver does support HD 4200) for it
than the AMD driver, as far as I remember the AMD and nVidia closed source
drivers don't play well together.

--

//Aho
From: dennis on

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased a new motherboard/chipset and processor for my desktop.
> Haven't switched them out yet, waiting to see what preparations I need to
> take on Ubuntu before going for it? I'll be keeping the existing hard
> drives and video card, as is.

The same as for any upgrade..
check your backups are working, then upgrade.
If it works then all you need to do is check your backups still work.

If it doesn't then you need to reinstall, load your backups and then check
your backups still work.

BTW did I mention that you need to backup anyway?

From: dennis on

"AZ Nomad" <aznomad.3(a)PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:03:35 -0500, Yousuf Khan
> <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Just purchased a new motherboard/chipset and processor for my desktop.
>>Haven't switched them out yet, waiting to see what preparations I need
>>to take on Ubuntu before going for it? I'll be keeping the existing hard
>>drives and video card, as is.
>
> ubuntu isn't a microsoft product; there's no code to disable
> the system after a hardware cange.

There isn't any in windows either.

However there are compiled in options that could break a linux system if
they have been used by the OP.
Its unlikely and they probably wouldn't be asking such simple questions if
they had.

From: Yousuf Khan on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> I do suggest you disable the onboard AMD graphics card, the closed source
> nVidia driver may disable features like CUDA/PhysX, but that may not be an
> issue with a 8600.
> If you want to use the onboard graphics too, you are more or less better off
> using VESA driver (not sure the ati/radeon driver does support HD 4200) for it
> than the AMD driver, as far as I remember the AMD and nVidia closed source
> drivers don't play well together.

No, I will use the discrete card for everyday usage, but I expect during
initial setup that I'll be keeping things simple, and just use the
onboard until things stabilize elsewhere.

I remember when the older motherboard was new, I was using its onboard
video (Geforce 6100-class) before I got the discete card (Geforce
8600-class). When I installed the discrete card, I expected that it
would just pick up the existing Nvidia drivers for 6100, since they were
both Nvidia. It didn't pick it up, and I had to use the VESA driver for
a while. Eventually I found out that the drivers for the two types of
Nvidia GPUs were different. I expected to have those problems when going
from Nvidia to ATI or vice-versa, but not within the Nvidia family. In
fact, it was the reason I picked up the Nvidia card in the first place,
because I wanted to avoid the incompatible driver issue. That worked
fine under Windows XP, where a single driver worked on both.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
dennis(a)home wrote:
> However there are compiled in options that could break a linux system if
> they have been used by the OP.
> Its unlikely and they probably wouldn't be asking such simple questions
> if they had.

That is part of the question, are there any compiled in options in the
standard Ubuntu distro kernel that I will have to worry about? For
example for the chipset. I remember from the old days of Linux that most
drivers were compiled in, and now they are mostly run-time loaded; but
are there still any holdovers left that are only compiled in?

Yousuf Khan