From: Zootal on

> Translation: Linux is always compiled for the absolute lowest common
> denominator. If your processor is a 1985 386-SX, Linux is guaranteed to
> run on it.

I wouldn't bet it would run on a 386 unless the kernel was specifically
compiled for that. You are most likely to find the default bloated kernels
compiled for a pentium, either classic or pro.

I have an old 386 machine in my basement that I've been meaning to load
linux on just to see how it performs. I don't know what I would do with it
after that, and I must admit it's pretty low on my to-do list...
From: Java Jive on
It actually depends on the change and the version of Windows.

From: Baron on
Java Jive Inscribed thus:

> It actually depends on the change and the version of Windows.
>
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:53:05 +0000, Baron
> <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>> dennis(a)home Inscribed thus:
>> >
>> > "AZ Nomad" <aznomad.3(a)PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message

>> > There isn't any in windows either.
>>
>> Rubish ! Windows monitors every change you make.

Actually right from W98 any change in hardware or software was recorded.
Win ME started wanting re-activation for major hardware changes.
XP started enforcing re-activation.
In any case every change is now recorded and reported back to M$.
Nothing like this happens on a Linux system.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: J G Miller on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:13:23 -0600, Zootal wrote:

> You are most likely to find the default bloated
> kernels compiled for a pentium, either classic or pro.

Yes almost all distributions contain kernels which require a minimum
of a Pentium with FPU.

> I don't know what I would do with it after that

There are plenty of things you could do with it so long as they
have a low CPU requirement and the network connection is fast enough
(preferably 100 Mbps rather than just 10 Mbps)viz DNS server,
WINS server, print server etc.
From: J G Miller on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:31:13 +0000, Baron wrote:

> Nothing like this happens on a Linux system.

Well not if you do not permit it. I think it was SuSE Linux
which used to send a report of what hardware you had in your
machine if you registered your version.

And does not one of the modern distributions (Mint Linux?)
also ask you if you want to submit a hardware report after
installation so that the developers are made aware of what
hardware their distribution will correctly install?