From: Baron on
J G Miller Inscribed thus:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:31:13 +0000, Baron wrote:
>
>> Nothing like this happens on a Linux system.
>
> Well not if you do not permit it. I think it was SuSE Linux
> which used to send a report of what hardware you had in your
> machine if you registered your version.

That is the crux ! On linux you have to approve sending that
information.

Which is quite different from having no choice in the matter, as in
Windows.

> And does not one of the modern distributions (Mint Linux?)
> also ask you if you want to submit a hardware report after
> installation so that the developers are made aware of what
> hardware their distribution will correctly install?

I don't know about "Mint".

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Kadaitcha Man on
"Zootal", thou balloon-headed velvet guard. I can hardly forbear hurling
things at thee. Ye chided:

>> Translation: Linux is always compiled for the absolute lowest common
>> denominator. If your processor is a 1985 386-SX, Linux is guaranteed to
>> run on it.
>

> I wouldn't bet it would run on a 386 unless the kernel was specifically
> compiled<BITCHSLAP>

Idiot.

> I have an old 386 machine in my basement that I've been meaning to load
> linux on just to see how it performs. I don't know what I would do with
> it after that, and I must admit it's pretty low on my to-do list...

Thanks for sharing.
From: Zootal on
Kadaitcha Man <anon(a)no.email> wrote in news:7gj5sf$znu$5(a)shameless-loose-
bodied-woman.co.equatorial-guinea:

> "Zootal", thou balloon-headed velvet guard. I can hardly forbear hurling
> things at thee. Ye chided:
>
>>> Translation: Linux is always compiled for the absolute lowest common
>>> denominator. If your processor is a 1985 386-SX, Linux is guaranteed to
>>> run on it.
>>

>> I wouldn't bet it would run on a 386 unless the kernel was specifically
>> compiled<BITCHSLAP>
>
> Idiot.
>
>> I have an old 386 machine in my basement that I've been meaning to load
>> linux on just to see how it performs. I don't know what I would do with
>> it after that, and I must admit it's pretty low on my to-do list...
>
> Thanks for sharing.

Ignoramus. What happens when you boot a 386 with a kernel compiled for a
Pentium? I'm betting you don't know because you never tried it. Guess what
happens when an attempt is made to execute a Pentium+ specific instruction
on a 386 (bswap, xadd, etc.)? If it doesn't go off on a wab (you do know
what a wab is, don't you?), and if the kernel doesn't stop the attempt to
execute, I'm guessing the instruction decoder would barf. Wab, kernel
panic, or lockup. Take your choice (I don't remember what the 386 does in
this case, but it's not good lol).

Anyone here actually tried a kernel compiled for a Pentium+ on a 386?
From: chrisv on
Zootal wrote:

>Kadaitcha Man <anon(a)no.email> wrote

*plonk*

From: YKhan on
On Jan 17, 3:50 pm, John Hasler <jhas...(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
> Yousuf Khan
>
> > Anyways, what sort of driver modules are not compiled? How do they run
> > then?
>
> The system boots up running entirely out of RAM (using a RAM
> filesystem), probes the hardware to find out what it is dealing with,
> and loads the driver modules it needs.
>
> See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd>

But those modules are still compiled (albeit not compiled into the
kernel). Ignoramus15099 was saying there are modules that are not
compiled.

Yousuf Khan