From: AZ Nomad on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 12:06:24 -0600, Ignoramus15099 <ignoramus15099(a)NOSPAM.15099.invalid> wrote:
>On 2010-01-17, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> dennis(a)home wrote:
>>> However there are compiled in options that could break a linux system if
>>> they have been used by the OP.
>>> Its unlikely and they probably wouldn't be asking such simple questions
>>> if they had.
>>
>> That is part of the question, are there any compiled in options in the
>> standard Ubuntu distro kernel that I will have to worry about? For
>> example for the chipset. I remember from the old days of Linux that most
>> drivers were compiled in, and now they are mostly run-time loaded; but
>> are there still any holdovers left that are only compiled in?

>There are some drivers that are not compiled in by default; those tend
>to be experimental or incomplete drivers.

There are few drivers that are compiled in. The vast majority are
modules and not loaded unless the hardware is detected.
From: Ignoramus15099 on
On 2010-01-17, AZ Nomad <aznomad.3(a)PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 12:06:24 -0600, Ignoramus15099 <ignoramus15099(a)NOSPAM.15099.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> That is part of the question, are there any compiled in options in the
>>> standard Ubuntu distro kernel that I will have to worry about? For
>>> example for the chipset. I remember from the old days of Linux that most
>>> drivers were compiled in, and now they are mostly run-time loaded; but
>>> are there still any holdovers left that are only compiled in?
>
>>There are some drivers that are not compiled in by default; those tend
>>to be experimental or incomplete drivers.
>
> There are few drivers that are compiled in. The vast majority are
> modules and not loaded unless the hardware is detected.

Sure. But some are not even compiled as modules.

From: Yousuf Khan on
Steve Urbach wrote:
> Ubuntu has survived the swapping out of a Nvidia 6800 for a ATI based
> Graphics.
> All I had to do was boot in recovery mode and run the "Fix X server" section.

Alright, now we're getting some useful info. Thanks.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> J.O. Aho wrote:
>>> I do suggest you disable the onboard AMD graphics card, the closed source
>>> nVidia driver may disable features like CUDA/PhysX, but that may not
>>> be an
>>> issue with a 8600.
>>> If you want to use the onboard graphics too, you are more or less
>>> better off
>>> using VESA driver (not sure the ati/radeon driver does support HD
>>> 4200) for it
>>> than the AMD driver, as far as I remember the AMD and nVidia closed
>>> source
>>> drivers don't play well together.
>>
>> No, I will use the discrete card for everyday usage, but I expect during
>> initial setup that I'll be keeping things simple, and just use the
>> onboard until things stabilize elsewhere.
>
> This may cause you more problems. I would advice against this.

Alright, that's good to know. Just put the video card in right from the
beginning.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Ignoramus15099 wrote:
> On 2010-01-17, AZ Nomad <aznomad.3(a)PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote:
>>> There are some drivers that are not compiled in by default; those tend
>>> to be experimental or incomplete drivers.
>> There are few drivers that are compiled in. The vast majority are
>> modules and not loaded unless the hardware is detected.
>
> Sure. But some are not even compiled as modules.

When I was saying "compiled in", I meant compiled into the kernel
monolithically.

Anyways, what sort of driver modules are not compiled? How do they run then?

Yousuf Khan