From: Ohmster on
I tested out Fedora 12 with the live CD and I like it, but it did not
detect my sound card. I am now installing FC12 from the DVD and want to
know if this card will work with fedora and what do I have to do to get it
recognized by the system with the sound bank for midi if possible. The card
is a Soundblaster AWE64 Gold ISA going into an Intel Pentium III machine
with an Nvidia card in an AGP slot.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:
> I tested out Fedora 12 with the live CD and I like it, but it did not
> detect my sound card. I am now installing FC12 from the DVD and want to
> know if this card will work with fedora and what do I have to do to get it
> recognized by the system with the sound bank for midi if possible. The card
> is a Soundblaster AWE64 Gold ISA going into an Intel Pentium III machine
> with an Nvidia card in an AGP slot.

Think most distributions which are for desktop has dropped ISA drivers, there
should be an extras kernel package you can install, which includes less common
drivers that RedHat supports in Fedora, sorry but don't remember the exact
name. Install this one afterwards, if it don't work, then you have to go
trough the pita of building the kernel-source package from the kernel.src.rpm,
install it and then build the module you need for your sound card, or see if
you can't get a used SB Live PCI for a few bucks.

Don't forget that to get your "beryl", run (kde and gnome2 support):

yum install -y ccsm emerald-themes compizconfig-backend-kconfig
compizconfig-backend-gconf fusion-icon* emerald compiz-fusion
compiz-fusion-gnome libcompizconfig compiz-gnome compiz-bcop compiz
compizconfig-python compiz-fusion-extras compiz-fusion-extras-gnome compiz-kde
compiz-manager

--

//Aho
From: J G Miller on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:42:13 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:

> which includes less common drivers that RedHat supports in Fedora,

I was not aware that RedHat supports anything in Fedora, so am I
in error?
From: Java Jive on
I had one of these and the same problem at least 5 years ago, IIRC it
was with Debian, perhaps also SUSE.

Also ...

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:42:13 +0100, "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net>
wrote:

> Think most distributions which are for desktop has dropped ISA drivers, there
> should be an extras kernel package you can install, which includes less common
> drivers that RedHat supports in Fedora, sorry but don't remember the exact
> name. Install this one afterwards, if it don't work, then you have to go
> trough the pita of building the kernel-source package from the kernel.src.rpm,
> install it and then build the module you need for your sound card

Yes, it's certainly a PITA, but at least that ultimate option is
available, unlike 'in the other place' (and it also teaches one quite
a lot)

> or see if
> you can't get a used SB Live PCI for a few bucks.

OP should be aware that the multitudinous variants of the SB Live are
often very confusing when buying sight unseen, and on eBay they tend
to be absurdly overpriced, particularly the Live Drive models. This
page on my site and the general review linked from the bottom of it
may prove a useful guide as to which model has what ...
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/PCHardware/SoundBlasterLive/SBLiveConnectivity.html

Might do better to look for a Terratec USB Aureon 5.1 MkII though
(MKII is important if you want SPDIF), as they tend to be cheaper. I
got one for about �12-�13 a few years ago, and am extremely happy with
it.
From: J.O. Aho on
J G Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:42:13 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>> which includes less common drivers that RedHat supports in Fedora,
>
> I was not aware that RedHat supports anything in Fedora, so am I
> in error?

Fedora is RedHats development distribution, the experience from it will be the
base to make the next RedHat Enterprise Linux.

--

//Aho
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4