From: J.O. Aho on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> J.O. Aho wrote:
>> I do suggest you disable the onboard AMD graphics card, the closed source
>> nVidia driver may disable features like CUDA/PhysX, but that may not
>> be an
>> issue with a 8600.
>> If you want to use the onboard graphics too, you are more or less
>> better off
>> using VESA driver (not sure the ati/radeon driver does support HD
>> 4200) for it
>> than the AMD driver, as far as I remember the AMD and nVidia closed
>> source
>> drivers don't play well together.
>

> No, I will use the discrete card for everyday usage, but I expect during
> initial setup that I'll be keeping things simple, and just use the
> onboard until things stabilize elsewhere.

This may cause you more problems. I would advice against this.

> I remember when the older motherboard was new, I was using its onboard
> video (Geforce 6100-class) before I got the discete card (Geforce
> 8600-class). When I installed the discrete card, I expected that it
> would just pick up the existing Nvidia drivers for 6100, since they were
> both Nvidia.

There are actually 3 different nvidia drivers, where support for different
cards has been discontinued, so if you use driver with support for gf2, then
you have a driver without support for gf8.
Now you are going to use the same graphics card, so no difference in driver
needed.

--

//Aho
From: dennis on

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> dennis(a)home wrote:
>> However there are compiled in options that could break a linux system if
>> they have been used by the OP.
>> Its unlikely and they probably wouldn't be asking such simple questions
>> if they had.
>
> That is part of the question, are there any compiled in options in the
> standard Ubuntu distro kernel that I will have to worry about? For example
> for the chipset. I remember from the old days of Linux that most drivers
> were compiled in, and now they are mostly run-time loaded; but are there
> still any holdovers left that are only compiled in?

Not unless you have put them in AFAIK.

From: Ignoramus15099 on
On 2010-01-17, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> dennis(a)home wrote:
>> However there are compiled in options that could break a linux system if
>> they have been used by the OP.
>> Its unlikely and they probably wouldn't be asking such simple questions
>> if they had.
>
> That is part of the question, are there any compiled in options in the
> standard Ubuntu distro kernel that I will have to worry about? For
> example for the chipset. I remember from the old days of Linux that most
> drivers were compiled in, and now they are mostly run-time loaded; but
> are there still any holdovers left that are only compiled in?

There are some drivers that are not compiled in by default; those tend
to be experimental or incomplete drivers.

From: Steve Urbach on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 02:25:08 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Steve Urbach wrote:
>> If your old rig was... really Old, there might have been /work-around's/ set
>> that are less efficient than what you would see with a fresh install.
>> That is what I find amazing about Ubuntu.. It mostly just works
>> whereas Windows mostly does not work without lots of futzing with drivers.
>> YMMV
>
>The old rig had an Nvidia Nforce 430 chipset with Geforce 6100-class
>integrated video. The one one is an ATI 785G chipset with HD 4200-class
>integrated video. The discreet video will remain Nvidia 8600GT for the
>moment.
>
> Yousuf Khan
Ubuntu has survived the
From: Steve Urbach on
wrote:

>Steve Urbach wrote:
>> If your old rig was... really Old, there might have been /work-around's/ set
>> that are less efficient than what you would see with a fresh install.
>> That is what I find amazing about Ubuntu.. It mostly just works
>> whereas Windows mostly does not work without lots of futzing with drivers.
>> YMMV
>
>The old rig had an Nvidia Nforce 430 chipset with Geforce 6100-class
>integrated video. The one one is an ATI 785G chipset with HD 4200-class
>integrated video. The discreet video will remain Nvidia 8600GT for the
>moment.
>
> Yousuf Khan
Ubuntu has survived the swapping out of a Nvidia 6800 for a ATI based
Graphics.
All I had to do was boot in recovery mode and run the "Fix X server" section.