From: AZ Nomad on
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:03:35 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>Just purchased a new motherboard/chipset and processor for my desktop.
>Haven't switched them out yet, waiting to see what preparations I need
>to take on Ubuntu before going for it? I'll be keeping the existing hard
>drives and video card, as is.

ubuntu isn't a microsoft product; there's no code to disable
the system after a hardware cange.
From: Yousuf Khan on
Mick wrote:
> Depends what you are upgrading from & to
>
> From 32 bit to 64 bit would probably go better backing up and
> reinstalling.

It's going to remain 64-bit.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
AZ Nomad wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:03:35 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Just purchased a new motherboard/chipset and processor for my desktop.
>> Haven't switched them out yet, waiting to see what preparations I need
>> to take on Ubuntu before going for it? I'll be keeping the existing hard
>> drives and video card, as is.
>
> ubuntu isn't a microsoft product; there's no code to disable
> the system after a hardware cange.

More worried about drivers. The motherboard will be going from Nvidia
chipset to ATI chipset. Onboard video will change likewise, but discrete
graphics will remain Nvidia 8600GT.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Steve Urbach wrote:
> If your old rig was... really Old, there might have been /work-around's/ set
> that are less efficient than what you would see with a fresh install.
> That is what I find amazing about Ubuntu.. It mostly just works
> whereas Windows mostly does not work without lots of futzing with drivers.
> YMMV

The old rig had an Nvidia Nforce 430 chipset with Geforce 6100-class
integrated video. The one one is an ATI 785G chipset with HD 4200-class
integrated video. The discreet video will remain Nvidia 8600GT for the
moment.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> Most of todays distribution (really since RH6), has managed to load the right
> drivers as long as they are part of the drivers compiled by default by your
> distribution.

So all supported drivers should already be present on the hard drive
when it starts scanning the new hardware?

Yousuf Khan