From: Bubba on
I posted this in another Canon thread I started here, but no one's
answered. The SX1 is available again, and it's the only P&S (from
Canon) that has CMOS (lower-end P&S, that is). I will *never* buy
another digital camera until I can take photographs where the reds/
pinks/oranges/yellows appear as blotched pixels--despite excellent
exposure. If there are other CMOS P&S, from different manufacturers,
I'd like to know who/what/how much. Thanks.
From: Ray Fischer on
Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>I posted this in another Canon thread I started here, but no one's
>answered. The SX1 is available again, and it's the only P&S (from
>Canon) that has CMOS (lower-end P&S, that is). I will *never* buy
>another digital camera until I can take photographs where the reds/
>pinks/oranges/yellows appear as blotched pixels--despite excellent
>exposure.

Until you're able to provide a clear example of whatever the hell it
is you're whining about you're not likely to get an answer that you
like.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: DanP on
On 13 Apr, 00:59, Bubba <digitalr...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I posted this in another Canon thread I started here, but no one's
> answered. The SX1 is available again, and it's the only P&S (from
> Canon) that has CMOS (lower-end P&S, that is). I will *never* buy
> another digital camera until I can take photographs where the reds/
> pinks/oranges/yellows appear as blotched pixels--despite excellent
> exposure. If there are other CMOS P&S, from different manufacturers,
> I'd like to know who/what/how much. Thanks.

I don't see a reson to complain about the reds:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=sx1+red&m=text

DanP
From: Martin Brown on
Ray Fischer wrote:
> Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I posted this in another Canon thread I started here, but no one's
>> answered. The SX1 is available again, and it's the only P&S (from
>> Canon) that has CMOS (lower-end P&S, that is). I will *never* buy
>> another digital camera until I can take photographs where the reds/
>> pinks/oranges/yellows appear as blotched pixels--despite excellent
>> exposure.
>
> Until you're able to provide a clear example of whatever the hell it
> is you're whining about you're not likely to get an answer that you
> like.

Even then it is unlikely he will like the answer.

There is a 2x1 chroma subsampling artefact that might cause problems for
some flower images with fine black detail on a saturated red background.
Most notably that the horizontal and vertical resolutions will differ by
a factor of two so that two images take in portrait and landscape modes
will show obviously different amounts of detail.

He might find that a Foveon sensor with 1x1x1 chroma will solve hs
problem, but since he cannot be bothered to show an example it is
impossible to say. Like RichA he can be dismissed as a whinger.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: Bubba on
On Apr 13, 5:09 am, DanP <dan.pe...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see a reson to complain about the reds:http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=sx1+red&m=text

They're gorgeous shots. Frankly, I see some flare in the fourth
photograph in the first (top) row, where the bright red leaves are in
bright sunlight, against a very blue sky. Thank you for posting all of
these. I learned the phrase "red flare" from the photo-editing company
(British) whose software I use, and it's only in overcast or rain that
my reds do not appear blotchy.

Great work!
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4