From: Liviu on
"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote...
> "Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> wrote...
>>
>> You were replying to Pete Delgado, but threaded it under my post.
>
> His post got lost. It never showed up in my outlook express.

Thought you said at some point that you were reading on google groups.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/tree/browse_frm/thread/241391c82ac5925f/e8ed13e6e87823e8?hl=en&rnum=131&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fmicrosoft.public.vc.mfc%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F241391c82ac5925f%3Fhl%3Den%26#doc_55f6afbb818386a7

>> You must realize of course that fault tolerance comes with a price,
>> and transactional databases weigh heavily in terms of disk caching
>> and virtual memory usage. If your naive idea that "my app is the
>> only thing running and will command all RAM to itself" was wrong
>> to begin with, on too many levels to count, yet it is even more wrong
>> once you add a database to the picture.
>
> For all practical purposes this will still be true. The database load
> will be negligible compared to the OCR processing load. Something
> like 100K of data compared to 4 GB of data.

Good luck with that. My advice would be to verify that assumption before
you bet the house on it, but then I'd only be repeating what's been said
too many times already.

FWIW there was a thread on microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel
not long ago "disable file system cache for a certain file". It had some
useful insight and pointers among the replies. That was about windows,
though, while your recent questions here have long gone off-topic and
don't seem to be about windows or mfc at all.

Liviu

From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

>> I am glad I was able to prove to you how threads using
>> shared process memory is better than your multiple single
>> process redundant loading. (You are welcome).
>
> How many times do I have to tell you that I will not be
> using multiple single process redundant loading before you
> get it?

Because you still haven't acknowledge you tested it with threads after
the code that was provided to you and you keep talking about FOUR
PROCESSORS being good enough and if need be scaling out and now with
SINGLE CPU machines.

>> But it also MMF was mostly based on you first wanted to
>> use single processes. I suggested a SHARED MMF DLL file
>> which will also both design models and also give you a
>> fast startup time versus what you have now of X minutes to
>> start up.
>
> X minutes of start up once. Not once a day or once a week,
> just once.

If you used an MMF that would be as fast it talks to open a file.

>> But now you bring in disaster recover and wonder how it
>> can be reliable. Now you can't avoid considering
>> minimizing your caching and buffer I/O that benefits your
>> speed. Now MMF plays a bigger role to give you a "mix"
>> where tuning factors come into play.
>
> Pete pointed out that I am really only concerned with not
> losing any data. That is correct. Also the only data that I
> am concerned with losing is customer transaction data.
> Everything else can be reconstructed easily enough. I don't
> have to handle this myself, the database provider can handle
> this for me.

But you also said your SQL server will be your FIFO server.

What will you do now?

>> The things is MMF works really well if its READ ONLY huge
>> data. If you plan to write data, then it helps because of
>> caching and delayed commits under solid computer
>> environments where power is reliable, but it raises the
>> opportunity for lost when disaster occurs.
>
> I thought that you said in another posting the MMF enables
> disaster recovery?

You really haven't learn anything yet?

Yes by virtue that its virtualize from disk so the only possible lost
are the dirty pages that have not been flushed yet. If you minimize
the dirty pages (flush every 30 seconds perhaps) then you lower your
window of dirty pages being lost to disaster withing that window. The
same idea as if you were in an EDITOR and it has an auto-save feature.
Wonder why that is?

Many applications employ a technique where a MMF hold all the global
data and state information. This is one way to share data between
processes. So you work with it just like you normally do and your lost
is minimize. You can also reload this the file back into memory to
restart where you last left off. The only disadvantage is using
objects for data which requires you to include a serialization
(archive) logic.

--
HLS
From: Peter Olcott on

"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

> Peter Olcott wrote:
>
>>> I am glad I was able to prove to you how threads using
>>> shared process memory is better than your multiple
>>> single process redundant loading. (You are welcome).
>>
>> How many times do I have to tell you that I will not be
>> using multiple single process redundant loading before
>> you get it?
>

> Because you still haven't acknowledge you tested it with
> threads after the code that was provided to you and you
> keep talking about FOUR PROCESSORS being good enough and
> if need be scaling out and now with SINGLE CPU machines.

I agree that it is probably a good idea without requiring
testing. Since the multiple process passed, I assume that
the multiple thread will pass. With my current business
model this will probably be moot for years.

>>> But it also MMF was mostly based on you first wanted to
>>> use single processes. I suggested a SHARED MMF DLL file
>>> which will also both design models and also give you a
>>> fast startup time versus what you have now of X minutes
>>> to start up.
>>
>> X minutes of start up once. Not once a day or once a
>> week, just once.
>

> If you used an MMF that would be as fast it talks to open
> a file.

I am considering this now. I tested Linux again and was
somewhat surprised that my process only gets a little less
than 500MB of the 2 GB before paging kicks in.

>>> But now you bring in disaster recover and wonder how it
>>> can be reliable. Now you can't avoid considering
>>> minimizing your caching and buffer I/O that benefits
>>> your speed. Now MMF plays a bigger role to give you a
>>> "mix" where tuning factors come into play.
>>
>> Pete pointed out that I am really only concerned with not
>> losing any data. That is correct. Also the only data that
>> I am concerned with losing is customer transaction data.
>> Everything else can be reconstructed easily enough. I
>> don't have to handle this myself, the database provider
>> can handle this for me.
>

> But you also said your SQL server will be your FIFO
> server.

That is a preliminary idea subject to change.

From: Hector Santos on
Of course, the real ultimate question is if you will finished by the
time your patent expires.

Ok, its been fun.

--

--
HLS
From: Peter Olcott on

> Of course, the real ultimate question is if you will
> finished by the time your patent expires.

The latest improvements would likely qualify for another
patent, thus extending the term, plus there is a whole other
invention of using this technology to provide an easy to use
universal graphical user interface scripting language.