From: Peter Olcott on
I do not have the time to learn inessential new things.

"Mikel" <mikel.luri(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On 26 mar, 15:47, "Peter Olcott" <NoS...(a)OCR4Screen.com>
wrote:
> "Hector Santos" <sant9...(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in
> message
> I know for a fact that belief and disbelief are both
> errors
> of reasoning known as fallacies. Only comprehension of
> reasoning is a reliable means of discerning truth from
> falsehood. I apologize for not showing enough deference
> for
> the excellent free advice that you are providing. The
> advice
> that I could verify with reasoning was verifiably superb.

You could also verify by testing, then try to learn and
understand why
is it like that.
Besides, aren't "learn" and "comprehend" synonims (or near
synonims)?
You've stated several times that you don't wish to (or don't
have time
to) learn new things, so if you are given the pointers but
don't even
try to learn from them, you either have to believe or stay
ignorant,
but you can't say you didn't get the reasoning. You just
ignored it.

From: Tom Serface on
Hi Peter,

I don't think the proximity is the only gating factor. Bandwidth for
connected servers, the path of the data, etc. all matter. If your users are
directly connecting to your server it may make a difference. It must make
some sort of difference because every professional download site I know of
has multiple "mirror" sites so that you can select one closest to you. If
nothing else, distributing it may make some people use other servers and
spread the cycles needed to read and send the data off a little less
arduous.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
I believe you are right, but I'm not expert on that subject.

From: Tom Serface on
Or synonyms... :o) But, no they are not. I know a lot of people who
"learned" things in college and did great on tests, but they did not
"comprehend" what they learned. Parrots can learn to speak, but they don't
always know what they are saying.

To be honest, one of the things I really enjoy about these groups is that,
at least most of the time, we don't have to pretend we know everything to
participate. Most of us get more out of being here than we give (even when
we give a lot). I also think people who take any kind of advice or
direction without trying to prove it out or understand it are fools. I seen
so many times where people simply cut and paste into their program then
release only to find out there was "this one instance" that "everyone knows
about" where that code doesn't work. Better to continue questioning and
trying to understand more about the technique imo.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
I'm not even sure I could work without Google anymore. What used to take me
hours to divine on my own I can usually find, or get a nice head start on,
by looking for someone else who already did it. Once you read past the
seemingly endless repeats because lots of sites seem to exist by copying
text from other sites so you just end up with links to the same old texts
over and over, you can eventually find something interesting. I think sites
that collect info from other sites and newsgroups are worse than spam.

Tom