From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:31:36 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>"Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com> wrote in message
>> We just use IIS for our intranet web applications. We can
>> install it on our servers as they are manufactured and
>> it's really easy to set up.
>>
>> There are restrictions to doing web applications of
>> course, but you can do a lot of coding server-side if you
>> know the server will have access and permission to update
>> areas on the intranet.
>>
>> Tom
>
>My trick is to make this web server installed a the client
>site have as close to as possible impenetrable security
>because I am adding trade secret to my intellectual property
>protection. I think that I have this essentially figured
>out.
>
>The one part that I do not have completely figured out is
>exactly how I can make it close to impossible for anyone to
>physically open the machine without detection. I have
>figured out ways to make this mostly (but not completely)
>moot. I have also figured out ways to make case access
>security extremely difficult to circumvent.
***
The Standard Model of physical security goes like this:

It is buried twelve feet deep in a 3-foot-thick concrete vault in the middle of an active
artillery range in the middle of a secure military base.

For dead-certain security, there are no wires leading into it, and it is turned off, and
there is no nearby power supply.

Another model surrounds it by vicious pit bulls, but unless you have done background
checks on the pit bulls, you cannot really be sure this is safe. One of them might be in
the pay of your competitor. A pound of prime rib can buy a lot of loyalty in a pit bull.

The simplest model is that you, personally, guard the machine, armed with some illegal
automatic weapon. That's 24/7, so don't plan on sleeping, eating, or dealing with bodily
functions.

All other methods are not considered trustworthy in the absolute sense.

[A friend once had a tour of the NSA. In one room, inside a Faraday cage, there was a
battery power supply running a PDP-11 with a hard drive attached. And a Marine guard,
armed with a .45 pistol. His orders: should anyone attempt to enter the room by force, he
was to draw his weapon, and shoot the disk. Now THAT'S physical security!]

Physical access is not your problem; this is the problem of your ISP, and their physical
security system. This is what you are paying for. Not just a CPU, a bit of wire, and a
UPS system!
joe

>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes, and it also just occured to me that in special cases
>>> I may even be able to provide an intranet webserver.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Hector Santos on
You forget to mention TEMPEST ready computers, monitors, wires, etc.

HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:20:38 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
>message news:64onq5dabohqabp4htku20ajb8q96r06s1(a)4ax.com...
>> See below...
>> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:12:56 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
>> <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
>>>message news:00rmq5hctllab7ursv8q64pq5eiv8s82ad(a)4ax.com...

>>>I was making a conservative estimate, actual measurement
>>>indicated zero page faults after all data was loaded, even
>>>after waiting 12 hours.
>> ***
>> And a memory-mapped file would not show the same
>> performance? You know this HOW?
>> ****

>>>Not if testing continues to show that paging is not
>>>occurring.
>> ****
>> SCALABILITY! SCALABILITY! MAXIMIZE THROUGHPUT! MEET
>> 500MS PERFORMANCE GOALS!
>> SCALABILITY!
>>

>If there are no page faults without a memory mapped file and
>there are no page faults with a memory mapped file, then
>exactly and precisely what is the specific incremental
>benefit of a memory mapped file? (The performance and
>memory usage would have to be the same in both cases).
*****
Did you say there were no page faults? I thought you said there were 27,000 while the
data is being loaded! And is it not screamingly obvious that if you have the same file
mapped into 20 processes, that you did not take 27,000 page faults in EACH of them?
Instead, you took a flurry of page faults when you mapped the file in and touched the
pages, and thereafter there are no page faults in ANY process that is sharing that
segment! ZERO! In contrast, in your single-thread multiple-process model, each process
has to undergo 27,000 page faults as it starts up.

Have I not repeatedly said "amortized over ALL processes"?
****

>I don't want a really quick way to load more data when
>needed, because there is no possible way that this could be
>nearly as fast as having the data already loaded.
****
I have no idea why you thought I said anything like this. Instead, I gave you a
ZERO-page-fault way to load the data into subsequent processes.

Note also that the page faults might be what are called "soft" faults, that is, when the
OS goes to look for the page, it discovers it is already in memory, and doesn't waste time
bringing in another copy. So even if the page faults occur, they are very CHEAP page
faults.
****

>> Your method does not scale; our suggestions give you
>> scalability, maximize throughput, and
>> probably makes it possible to meet your wonderful 500ms
>> goal consistently.
>> joe
>
>Yet you have consistently, time after time, again and again
>never backed this up with reasoning. As soon as you back
>this up with verifiably correct reasoning, thenn (then and
>only then) will I agree. I absolutely and positively reject
>dogma as a source of truth.
****
Hmm.. "Verifiable correct reasoning"....how about ZERO PAGE FAULTS ARE BETTER THAN LOTS OF
PAGE FAULTS? Doesn't that sound good? As to the rest of the reasoning, it is in the
MSDN, which I have read, which I have told you that YOU should read, and I'm not going to
retype it all from memory here. There is no "dogma" here. Just obvious conclusions
anyone who bothered to understand the technology could arrive at, just from reading the
documentation that is available!
joe
****

From: Hector Santos on
Liviu wrote:

> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote...
>> "Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> wrote...
>>> "Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote...

>>> "I filed a provisional patent last August" - Peter Olcott, 12/14/2001
>>>
>>> (message #584 in thread of 881 at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++/msg/f8161ee71a584326?hl=en)
>> This patent issued in 2005. The task that I am undertaking is very
>> large.
>
> I am not even trying to argue that now. But you are talking _years_ in
> the works, yet demonstrated deep confusion over elementary matters
> and ignored most of the sound advice volunteered here. Then you say
> "I do not have the time to learn inessential new things". Nothing
> personal, of course, and don't know that you even realize it, but that
> paints you somewhere between utterly arrogant and a complete kook.

He doesn't realize it, thats the problem.

He filed a frivolous less than $100 or so provisional patent in 2001.
A one page application. It gives you one year to file the full
patent. He was granted the patent in 2006.

Yet STILL NO PRODUCT in 9 years. Thats a classic definition of a
Patent Troll and he still behavior like one today.

I doubt he will have it done in the next 10 when it expires but that
shouldn't stop anyone from providing a web OCR service or using the
technology today - hmmmmmmm, it doesn't :) Makes you wonder why he
has no licensees, no VCs taken him up, no company using his product or
services - he has absolute nothing. The patent was frivolous and all
he did was waste his money.

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
BobF wrote:

> Hector Santos wrote:
>> Peter Olcott wrote:
>>
>>> The experts are telling me that my real-time process does not need to
>>> be memory resident.
>>
>> Once again, you are lying to suit your needs. You really don't
>> understand how the Intel chip and Preemptive and Protected Mode
>> operating systems works which we explained over and over again, and
>> even provided LINKS for your reading and verification.
>>
>> If I had to guess, the reason why you don't understand any of this is
>> because you are clueless of the history of the INTEL chip starting
>> with its Memory Segmentation Model to the introduction of Real Mode vs
>> Protected Model hardware and operating systems, starting with DMPI.
>> Start reading about the Intel Chip, Memory Segmentation, Protected
>> Mode Operating Systems and then maybe, just maybe, but I extremely
>> doubt it, you will get some inkling of whats going on.
>>

> ... and then write everything in ASM since you will have defeated the
> purpose of higher level languages!!!! B-)

HA!, Yeah, Download MASM32 - at least it provides MANY examples -
even GUI!

--
HLS