From: Peter Olcott on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
message news:ehcvq55h4l9lrobkpabb2m31ve22nvffd4(a)4ax.com...
>I had forgotten that! And I DID tell him about
>VirtualLock!
>
> Denser than depleted uranium.
>
> What is amazing is his persistence in using technically
> incorrect terminology even after
> it has been carefully explained to him what is going on.
> For example, a desire to
> allocate contiguous physical memory should have been the
> first clue that he had no idea
> what virtual memory was. And his persistence in equating
> virtual memory (which, at its

If all that other stuff that is going on under the covers is
sufficiently analogous to the simpler case, then it is a
communication error to specify these extraneous and
essentially irrelevant details. These extra details impede
the communication process.

In other words the simpler less exactly precise terms are
more correct (within the goal of effective communication)
than the complex precisely correct terms because the
precisely correct terms impede the clarity and conciseness
of communication.

From: Peter Olcott on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
message news:59dvq5hm93akvsglotlbc9lejh94dcgqvf(a)4ax.com...
> See below...
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:55:14 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
> <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>

>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
>>message news:e9jtq5pav683bb9qgcfrvmkg439nribmno(a)4ax.com...
>>> Seee below...

>>> ***
>>> I believe I pointed out that it is likely to result in
>>> FEWER page faults, since parts of
>>
>>As I have said over a dozen times; GIVEN the immutable
>>premise that there are no page faults, then within the
>>explicit context of this immutable premise ONLY, how can
>>memory mapped files help? AND apparently the answer is
>>they
>>can not help in this case.
> ****
> Why is this premise immutable? That's the difference
> between religion and science.

Head games again.
Given as in Geometry.

From: Pete Delgado on

"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> And did you read the fine print in it? the part that says
>
> Its all far far less convoluted in the OS that I will be using.

I have to ask this... I really do...

If you plan on developing on some magical OS where none of this is a problem
(or is "far les convoluted"), why are you posting your questions in a
Microsoft newsgroup?

-Pete

From: Peter Olcott on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
message news:p5qvq55g635gdk1cfck6ul3jq8hhtfflq4(a)4ax.com...
> You mean that after all these years you have never visited
> my site? I know I've given
> citations to it before, and it doesn't take a profoundly
> deep set of neural responses to
> go visit my Web site, that appears in my sig block on
> every messsage I post!
> joe

I have visited your site. That's how I know so much about
you.
Now that I know where to find the I/O Completion Port, I may
go look there sometime soon.

I am not quite at the point yet of needing this. If you
think that it makes are really good FIFO queue, it may be
the right way to go, and at least warrants further
examination. You did forget to tell me where to look.

From: Hector Santos on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> Do you know why IBM chose the Intel chip instead of the Motorola chip? It turns out they
> wanted the 68000 family, so IBM went to Motorola and said "We need K thousand chips per
> month, can we get them?" Motorola, who was busy supplying Apple, said "No way" and Intel,
> a little, barely viable chip company, said "Sure. Will that be enough or will you need
> more?" So they chose the company that said it could deliver product. It wasn't based on
> the architecture, it was based on the availability.

That could be. There was a mad rush too I'm sure there was plenty of
backroom, gulfing deals made.

Apple could of told Motorola - "Don't you dare."

But from my perspective in the corporate world, IBM was main stay and
so was Intel even before the PC even came along with its motherboard
slot frame hardware, iRMX OS and PL/M programming language for process
control. So if IBM wanted to get a 2nd foot into the corporate door,
Intel chips would be the logical choice. Honestly, it was because of
my early Intel x86 process control work at Westinghouse that I was so
easy for me to pick up on PC programming under DOS, OS/2 and then
Windows. I did Motorola programming work in college using Apple II
monitors and a few Robotics projects with motorola micro controllers -
pure C and ASM here :) (Side Irony, I just found my partner engineer
on these projects on FaceBook!)

Also, if you recall the story behind IBM PC, there was 1 year
deadline, it was the first time they wanted to do everything off the
shelf, and the two OS available, CP/M which began as PL/M both
developed by Kildall, and, QDOS that they looked at only worked for
intel chip. Kildall turned down IBM wanting higher royalties which
would be the first for IBM to lose control like this. IBM then turned
to Gates who got QDOS for $50,000 at the last moment of the project.

--
HLS