From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote to Joe:

> I am primarily an abstract thinker, I almost exclusively
> think in terms of abstractions. This has proven to be both
> the most efficient and most effective way to process complex
> subjects mentally.

No. It called being simple minded!

> I scored extremely high on an IQ test in
> this specific mode of thinking, something like at least
> 1/1000. My overall IQ is only as high as the average MD
> (much lower than 1/1000).

But an MD understands tools and system process (body parts)
integrations concepts. He knows what triggers what. He understands
how a Human Body is engineered.

You don't have that level of common sense engineering.

I would not be surprised if your
> overall IQ is higher than mine, actually I would expect it.
> Your mode of thinking and my mode of thinking seem to be at
> opposite end of the spectrum of abstract versus concrete
> thinking.

In other words, you lack common sense and logic. Basically what you
are showing is that IQ on Windows is ZERO!

--
HLS
From: Peter Olcott on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
message news:uk12r5die24557r1evjkvrqovj58qjvc9e(a)4ax.com...
> See below...
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:03:42 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
> <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>
>>>But you can run
>>> with virtual memory WITHOUT paging being a part of it,
>>
>>How is that not like running an automobile's engine
>>without
>>any form of fuel?
> ****
> Because you are being dense and stupid. For example, a
> better analogy would be running an

Calling me stupid (an opinion) demonstrate a lack of
professionalism (a fact).

> automobile engine without transferring the power to the
> wheels. Running the engine is a
> valid act; whether or not that power is transferred to
> something that generates motion is
> a second-order effect.

OK granted you analogy is better than mine. Yet even your
analogy still makes my point. The essential purpose of an
automobile is to drive around. Running the engine in neutral
is not meeting the essential purpose of an automobile.
Likewise for virtual memory. Virtual memory without page
faults is like running and engine in neutral not meeting the
essential purpose.

Is the car driving around with the engine in neutral, No.
The practical effect of running a car with its engine in
neutral is the same practical effect as if the car is turned
off when measured against the essential purpose of a car,
driving around.

Is the Virtual Memory meeting its essential purpose with
zero page faults, No. Is the practical effect of VM without
pages faults essentially the same as if VM was turned off in
terms of it fulfilling its essential purpose, yes.

So for short hand notation a car turned off or a car with
its engine in neutral could be considered essentially the
same in terms of the car fulfilling its essential purpose,
driving around.

> ****
>>Please try to be very concise.
> ****
> Concise: you are stupid. Slightly longer: virtual memory
> is a system that maps virtual

You ramble far too much around the point without ever
actually getting to the point. I could make up all kinds of
childish insults to address this, but, that would be both
unprofessional and inaccurate.

From: Peter Olcott on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
message news:s5n2r5lj03ktt52logni11mhgsudskmkgn(a)4ax.com...
> See below...
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:35:54 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
> <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>

>>It is not that I am stupid it is that for some reason (I
>>am
>>thinking intentionally) you fail to get what I am saying.
>>I needed something the PREVENTS page faults**, MMF does
>>not
>>do that, VirtualLock() does.
> ****
> I never promised that memory mapped files would give you
> ZERO page faults; I only pointed
> out that it can reduce the total number of page faults,
> and distribute the cost of them
> differently than your simplistic model that takes several
> thousand page faults to load the
> data. And I said that in any real world experiment, it is
> essential to gather the data to
> show the exact impact of the architecture.
> ****

The whole goal of the original architecture was to find a
way to prevent pages faults to my several GB of data because
it would have taken several minutes to load this data, thus
it was to be kept loaded. All this time I am sure that you
were aware of VirtualLock() but said nothing.

I kept saying that I need zero page faults and you kept push
MMF as the solution. I kept saying that MMF are no good
because they don't prevent pages faults and I need something
that prevents pages faults, and you kept push MMF all the
while knowing about VirtualLock().

In any case all of this is now moot. I was finally able to
benchmark the model of my new process and it requires so
much less data that the cache spatial locality of reference
provides a ten-fold improvement to speed. This provides
plenty of time to load this much smaller data on the fly,
and still provide the 100 ms response time. (The other 400
ms was for internet time).

From: Peter Olcott on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
message news:h4p2r55emhlqcnvootbfd4t5h6upchiqn6(a)4ax.com...
> See below...
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:12:13 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
> <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>
>>> Yout total cluelessness about TCP/IP comes to the fore
>>> again. Suppose you have
>>> established a connection to the machine. The machine
>>> reboots. What happened to that
>>> connection? Well, IT NO LONGER EXISTS! So you can't
>>> reply over it! Even if you have
>>> retained the information about the data to be processed,
>>> YOU HAVE NO WAY TO COMMUNICATE TO
>>> THE CLIENT MACHINE!
>>
>>False assumption. A correct statement would be I have no
>>way
>>to communicate to the client that you are ware of (see
>>below).
> ****
> Email is not the same thing as getting the result back
> from the server. And users will
> not expect to get email if they get a "connection broken"
> request unless you tell them,
> and this requires a timeout a LOT larger than your 500ms
> magic number.
> ****

Sure I know this there is no possible way in the whole
universe that an email could be sent essentially in parallel
to the post back to the client screen. The entire universe
would crumble to pieces if this ever happened. This greater
than timeout of 500 ms is absolutely and positively required
and there exists no possible way that anyone could ever
possibly think of (such as parallel lines of communication)
around this problem.

>>> In what fantasy world does the psychic plane allow you
>>> magically
>>> re-establish communication with the client machine?
>>
>>That one is easy. All users of my system must provide a
>>verifiably valid email address. If at any point after the
>>client request if fully received the connection is lost,
>>the
>>output is sent to the email address.
> ****
> Which violates the 500ms rule, by several orders of
> magnitude.
>
> I'm curious how you get a "verifiably valid" email
> address. You might get AN email
> address, but "verifiably valid" is a LOT more challenging.
> THere are some hacks that
> increase the probability that the email address is valid,
> but none which meet the
> "verifiably valid" criterion.

They can't login until they click on a link that is sent by
email. The link will also verify that a human is reading the
email.

> ***
>>

>>> And don't tell me you can use the IP address to
>>> re-establish connectivity. If you don't
>>> understand how NAT works, both at the local level and at
>>> the ISP level, you cannot tell me
>>> that retaining the IP address can work, because I would
>>> immediately know you were wrong.
>>> ****

>>> ****
>>> Your spec of dealing with someone pulling the plug, as I
>>> explained, is a pointless
>>> concern.
>>
>>And I have already said this preliminary spec has been
>>rewritten.
> ****
> So what is it? How can we give any advice on how to meet
> a spec when we don't even know
> what it is any longer?
> ****
>>
>>> So why are you worrying about something that has a large
>>> negative exponent in
>>> its probability (1**-n for n something between 6 and
>>> 15)?
>>> There are higher-probability
>>> events you MIGHT want to worry about.
>>> ****

>>> ****
>>> But if you have a client timeout, the client can
>>> resubmit
>>> the request, so there is no need
>>> to retain it on the server. So why are you desirous of
>>> expending effort to deal with an
>>> unlikely event? And implementing complex mechanisms to
>>> solve problems that do not require
>>
>>Every request costs a dime. If the client re-submits the
>>same request it costs another dime. Once a request is
>>explicitly acknowledged as received, the acknowledgement
>>response will also inform them that resubmitting will be
>>incur an additional charge.
> ****
> Oh, I get it, "we couldn't deliver, but we are going to
> charge you anyway". Not a good
> business model. You have to make sure that email was
> received before you charge. Not

As a third line of communication the result will be
available when they log back in, along with their entire
transaction history. Results can be kept for a month.

Isn't there a bounce process for email that is not
delivered? How reliable is this bounce process?

From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote to Joe:

>> ****
>> Oh, I get it, "we couldn't deliver, but we are going to
>> charge you anyway". Not a good
>> business model. You have to make sure that email was
>> received before you charge. Not
>
> As a third line of communication the result will be
> available when they log back in, along with their entire
> transaction history. Results can be kept for a month.

In other words Joe, no refunds! <g>

> Isn't there a bounce process for email that is not
> delivered? How reliable is this bounce process?

It depends. If the remote email server thinks you are behaving like a
bad guy and/or spammer, you might not get a bounce.

But there are two kinds of notifications.

1) Instant rejections with a response code:

55x DO NOT TRY AGAIN
45x TRY LATER

2) Accept Message than bounce after the SMTP session ends

250 Message Accep
QUIT

server processes msg, sees bad msg, Bounce msg

So if you are sending them an email and before you can TRANSFER the
payload (the text), the remote system can rejects your ENVELOPE
information with a 55x or 45x, and that satisfies a NOTIFICATION
requirement.

However, if the remote accepts the message and gives you an message
acceptance reply code 250, it could reject it after the session ends.
This traditionally requires a bounce and SHOULD NOT DISCARD IT!

But because of the Accept/Bounce Spoof Attacks, the requirements have
been relaxed in the most recent IETF RFC 5231 specification so that
local operator policy dictates what it can do and he may SILENTLY
DISCARD it.

Before RFC 5321, it was a "RULE" to send notifications if a server
can't deliver. By US ECPA, user expectations require a notification.
With RFC 5321 due to spam it was officially made "OPTIONAL".

If they think your are not a spammer or bad guy, then MOST systems
will follow tradition and send you a bounce notification.

Some systems will even CHECK you to make sure you are forever. So you
better have a reliable SMTP server yourself before you even think
about sending mails to people and they can't bounce mail back to you!

--
HLS