From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:30:29 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
>message news:0fn1r513fgotrpqe1u5puurd977jgrb240(a)4ax.com...
>> See below...
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:19:07 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
>> <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>>

>It is only considered a transaction if the client request is
>committed to disk.
****
And you are willing to pay the performance penalty this incurs? I though performance was
EVERYTHING and ZERO page faults was the accepted upper bound! And I presume you know the
costs, in milliseconds, for the database commit. If I were going down this design route,
I would already have that number. I would either get it from the documentation, from a
benchmark test supplied by the vendor which I would run on my machine, or my own test. But
I would not proceed until I had that number in hand.
****

>> Your failure to deal with the concept that "no client will
>> be charged for an uncompleted
>> transaction" is going to get you into trouble (seriously).
>> You have not suggested a
>> mechanism by which a lost transaction (e.g., due to
>> catastrophic server failure) will be
>> sent back to the client,
>
>Sure I have you just haven't gotten to it yet, email. I
>haven't got any more time for this discussion. I am
>convinced that I will get it right. I will get back to you
>on this when I am pretty sure that I have it right and you
>can double check my final design.
****
Oh, in your fantasy world, email is a reliable delivery mechanism? It isn't out here in
the real world. And did you read Hector's comments on email acknowledgement (and he's far
more an expert on email than I am; all I know is that there are serious reliability issues
with email; the evidence is that people send me email which I never receive, and which
never even arrive at my ISP, although there is a record that they were sent).

Apparently, you once read an article on email, and now believe you understand it
completely. Even your concept of a "veriiable email address" shows a degree of
cluenessness that is, alas, unsurprising.

My ISP, who makes his living delivering email to and from me, doesn't understand it
completely. Go read a Unix email manual (e.g., from O'Reilly Press) to find out how
complex it is, and how hard it is to make it reliable. Oh, the ugliness of reality. I
know LOTS of people who can tell horror stories about failing email servers, because they
have been responsible for running them (one friend ran the email router that was
responsible for all email arriving on the East Coast of the U.S.; it was located in the
Pittsburgh Supercomputer Center at that time) but you seem to think email is actually
reliable. I guess this is the advantage of using the wishful-thinking approach to design.
All those ugly problems go away.
joe
****

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: BobF on

This was amusing for a while, but I'm getting bored now ...
<yaaaawwwwwwwwwn ....>
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
The fact that I told you about VirtualLock in December is ALSO a matter of public record!

I think you should carefully read what I told you about memory-mapped files. It is
actually easy; it is in the public record!
joe

From: Peter Olcott on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
message news:gbb4r5d7i62ue6b3lkelnksollka78digm(a)4ax.com...
> See below...
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:27:42 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
> <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>

>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
>>message news:s5n2r5lj03ktt52logni11mhgsudskmkgn(a)4ax.com...
>>> See below...

>>> ****
>>> I never promised that memory mapped files would give you
>>> ZERO page faults; I only pointed
>>> out that it can reduce the total number of page faults,
>>> and distribute the cost of them
>>> differently than your simplistic model that takes
>>> several
>>> thousand page faults to load the
>>> data. And I said that in any real world experiment, it
>>> is
>>> essential to gather the data to
>>> show the exact impact of the architecture.
>>> ****
>>
>>The whole goal of the original architecture was to find a
>>way to prevent pages faults to my several GB of data
>>because
>>it would have taken several minutes to load this data,
>>thus
>>it was to be kept loaded. All this time I am sure that you
>>were aware of VirtualLock() but said nothing.
> ***
> I am reminded that I pointed out VirtualLock to you MONTHS
> previously.
> ***
>>
>>I kept saying that I need zero page faults and you kept
>>push
>>MMF as the solution. I kept saying that MMF are no good
>>because they don't prevent pages faults and I need
>>something
>>that prevents pages faults, and you kept push MMF all the
>>while knowing about VirtualLock().
> ****
> No, I pointed out that MMF reduce page faults during
> which are mapped are subject to VirtualLock. I also
> pointed out that MMF reduce page
> fault overheads to zero if the segment is shared with
> other processes, which is a Good
> Thing. YOU were the one that kept saying MMF are no good
> because they don't prevent page
> faults, and I kept saying that you were wrong in this
> opinion. You are still wrong. You
> were not paying any attention to my saying that you got to
> AMORTIZE any page faults across
> ALL processes, and these

> page faults would only occur during loading into the first
> process,

(1) I never saw that you ever said anything like this.
(2) Is it really true, even in the case where pages loaded
exceeds physical RAM?

From: Tom Serface on
Yeah. I have never marked a thread to ignore in this forum, but this is the
first...