From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

>>> What if the only possible access to the machine was
>>> through
>>> port 443?
>> ****
>> HTTPS/SSL? Actually, not much would change. it just adds
>> a little more effort to the
>> problem of cracking. The experts already know how to get
>> around it. Do you know the role
>> of port 443, really? Do you know what it promises? What
>> it delivers? Do you know what
>> HTTPS really is? Have you read RFC 2818? Or RFC 2246?
>> And what "protections" do you
>> think you get, other than encrypted data transfer?
>> Explain how encrypted data transfer
>> prevents me from exploiting a buffer overrun in the
>> server? Or invoking an insecure
>> ActiveVirus control? Or accomplishing any other exploit?
>> Have you even READ about how
>> exploits work? Again, maybe I'm just biased by my years
>> of studying computer security,
>> but I don't think much of the idea; it only authenticates
>> a sender/receiver transfer, and
>> encrypts the data, but nothing else. You have a lot to
>> learn.
>> joe
>

> Remember how we met? (In a 2005 email, about this article
> of yours)
> http://groups.google.com:80/group/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/msg/74db496855f60a0f
>
> That said, there is almost no reliable way to send mouse
> clicks to an application; lots of
> people have tried this and failed. You are in the model of
> "I want to write a Windows
> scripting language", and it is nearly impossible to get
> right. I've been involved with at
> least two projects that failed miserably

Yeah, and you didn't finish that PROJECT as well!

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
Didn't work, eh? <g>

--
HLS
From: Peter Olcott on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
message news:q3v3r594leecok45c018d1m5mcljg48i0i(a)4ax.com...

> [...]
>>> See below...

>>> ****
>>> Because you are being dense and stupid. For example, a
>>> better analogy would be running an
>>
>>Calling me stupid (an opinion)
> ****
> Actually, it is a demonstrated fact, as anyone who has
> been following this thread can
> attest. We keep telling you "X" and you keep saying "not
> X", not because you have any
> evidence of not-X, but simply because you believe non-X
> MUST be true (apparently based on
> once having read half of an introductory textbook, 25
> years ago), and all attempts to
> educate you seem to have no effect; your insistence that
> "virtual memory" == "paging
> activity" in spite of massive efforts to tell you that you
> are completely wrong proves you
> are uneducable. This is easily shortened to "stupid". I
> got tired of trying to be
> polite, since all my efforts to educate you failed and you
> kept insisting "not-X" when we
> kept telling you "X" (and "go read this article by Mark
> Russinovich" and "go read the
> MSDN" and "go read the Intel manuals", and you kept
> insisting "I don't need no stinkin'
> details, I know what I know, and by gum, that's good
> enough for me!") You kept insisting
> that you wanted to boil things down "to their essence" and
> when you had boiled them down
> to a thick sludge, you stopped and said "this, I believe,
> is the essence" and when
> everyone else said "No, you have nothing but a thick
> sludge, and you don't have the
> essence, the essence is THIS" you ignored them. What
> adjective would YOU apply to someone
> who so pig-headedly refused to learn from all our answers?
> I decided that it was time to
> stop being polite and hit you over the head with what you
> were showing. If you can
> demonstrate that you are not stupid, we would all be very
> pleased, but thus far you have
> been very consistent in demonstrating a lack of knowledge,
> and you have explicitly stated
> that you have no desire to learn (something about all
> those details just getting in the
> way of the essence, or something like that...I forget the
> actual reasonably incoherent
> rantings about why you didn't think it was inappropriate
> to spend any effort to learn
> more, so you didn't sound like a complete fool) I have a
> label for this kind of person,
> and I used it. If you think the label is inappropriate,
> demonstrate some behavior that
> convinces us otherwise.
> ****
>> demonstrate a lack of
>>professionalism (a fact).
> ****
> A refusal to learn the proper vocabulary, based on a view
> that it is not necessary to use
> the technical language correctly, also demonstrates a lack
> of professionalism (a fact).
>
> When you stop talking about the need to allocate

The official C++ standard defines a std::vector as
contiguous memory are they wrong too?

From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

>> When you stop talking about the need to allocate
>> contiguous physical memory, recognize ....
>
> The official C++ standard defines a std::vector as
> contiguous memory are they wrong too?

But its still virtualized contiguous memory! It still uses the HEAP
MANAGER which means you are 100% under the control of virtual memory
manager.

While you can attempt to lock this virtual memory and I don't think
you can mix the HeapXXXXX functions with the VirtualXXXXX functions,
but even if you can, you are still LIMITED to locking a certain system
set "view" size of this total allocation - thats called your WORKING
SET. From my readings, the system maximum working set per process is:

32 bit: 1.5 GB
64 bit; 8 GB

If this "VIEW SIZE" is too small for you, you need to use AWE.

What you are not understanding is the Windows will intelligently
manage the memory fragments that you need and mostly use and your
Windows 7 does this better. Think of your disk. At the application
level, the file data looks contiguous data to you. It appear
serialized. But in reality, it could be fragments into clusters on
the disk. Same idea with Virtual Memory.

Overall, you keep thinking that the system is too slow for you, when
the reality is you are too slow for it. But you are driving 25 mph on
at 60 mph highway, not only are you slower, you are taking up two
lanes slowing everyone else up.

--
HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:50:27 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

*
>> A refusal to learn the proper vocabulary, based on a view
>> that it is not necessary to use
>> the technical language correctly, also demonstrates a lack
>> of professionalism (a fact).
>>
>> When you stop talking about the need to allocate
>> contiguous physical memory, recognize
>
>The official C++ standard defines a std::vector as
>contiguous memory are they wrong too?
****
They require contiguous VIRTUAL memory. Essentially, they require contiguous memory in
the environment in which the code is operating, and in the case of a virtual memory
system, that means contiguous VIRTUAL memory, which probably is NOT contiguous physical
memory!

The fact that you can even ask this question demonstrates that you learned NOTHING from
the discussion of memory!
joe
***