From: DNK on
Just bumping this one back onto the radar. I still have not been able to fix the issue.

Thank you.

2010/6/4 DNK <d.k.emaillists(a)gmail.com>:
> Just bumping this one back onto the radar. I still have not been able to fix the issue.

Hello,

I got a Macbook Pro last week so I was able to test your smb.conf in a
VM running centos 5.5.

It turned out that I have to disable iptables and selinux
(system-config-securitylevel-tui) to make samba run on centos. I'm a
debian/ubuntu guy and sure there's a better way; anyway, for testing,
disabling is ok.

After that, your smb.conf run flawless here; except for this line in [myshare]:

users = @ myshare

I really hope that space between "@" and "myshare" is a typo in your
email and not in your actual smb.conf.

I'll keep the VM for a few days, just in case you want me to run some
more tests.

Best regards,
Norberto
I'm having a problem that I'm not sure is related. OSX 10.6.3, Centos
5.5, Samba Version 3.0.33-3.28.el5

Sometimes when I try to browse to a directory it just stalls out with
the spinning gear. Not always the top level or a consistent depth, and
it doesn't seem to matter if there are a dozen files or thousands in the
directory. Sometimes if I walk away for an hour or so it'll still be
spinning when I get back, sometimes it'll finally be showing my
directory listing.

I've just discovered(?) that quitting the Finder and restarting it
solved the problem in at least one instance, so try that and report back...

[I'm running iptables, and can't disable it, FWIW.]

On 6/13/10 3:36 AM, zoolook wrote:
> 2010/6/4 DNK<d.k.emaillists(a)gmail.com>:
>> Just bumping this one back onto the radar. I still have not been able to fix the issue.
>
> Hello,
>
> I got a Macbook Pro last week so I was able to test your smb.conf in a
> VM running centos 5.5.
>
> It turned out that I have to disable iptables and selinux
> (system-config-securitylevel-tui) to make samba run on centos. I'm a
> debian/ubuntu guy and sure there's a better way; anyway, for testing,
> disabling is ok.
>
> After that, your smb.conf run flawless here; except for this line in [myshare]:
>
> users = @ myshare
>
> I really hope that space between "@" and "myshare" is a typo in your
> email and not in your actual smb.conf.
>
> I'll keep the VM for a few days, just in case you want me to run some
> more tests.
>
> Best regards,
> Norberto

I had confirmed, but I have no firewall, or selinux running. I never
have. This setup used to work. And I am also confirming that there is
no space inmy share group in my config.

Regards,

On 2010-06-13, at 12:36 AM, zoolook <nbensa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/6/4 DNK <d.k.emaillists(a)gmail.com>:
>> Just bumping this one back onto the radar. I still have not been
>> able to fix the issue.
>
> Hello,
>
> I got a Macbook Pro last week so I was able to test your smb.conf in a
> VM running centos 5.5.
>
> It turned out that I have to disable iptables and selinux
> (system-config-securitylevel-tui) to make samba run on centos. I'm a
> debian/ubuntu guy and sure there's a better way; anyway, for testing,
> disabling is ok.
>
> After that, your smb.conf run flawless here; except for this line in
> [myshare]:
>
> users = @ myshare
>
> I really hope that space between "@" and "myshare" is a typo in your
> email and not in your actual smb.conf.
>
> I'll keep the VM for a few days, just in case you want me to run some
> more tests.
>
> Best regards,
> Norberto
It's difficult to parse, but it _seems_ like the 10.6.4 update to OSX
will incorporate some SMB changes (fixes?), so maybe it's an OSX
problem, and might be Fixed In The Next Release.

I don't really care for beta software, but I kinda wish I could get this
one!